Happy 300Th Birthday

RichardB

Dam, you're real close. That's the famous building Horse Baracks, hundreds of feet (Groan), water container nearby - praise be Saint Barthelomews.

That'll do for me Fella, missed your reply due to Syl replying. White House Dam it is, good work.

Go on then, I'll bite, how about the White House Dam, Replaced by a brewery, then a window frame factory, then a scrap yard and now derilict.

Langsett Road/Whitehouse Lane.

HD

edit.

The Great Dam by the other White House at Crookesmoor isn't that old I think.

White House Dam = Barack + horsing + dam

Barack home = Whitehouse + Cleo's home Laine

Well-connected .... to Central Sheffield

Great foundations, well rounded walls and no roof; I may even still exist. - though now filled in.

Just meant to be for fun Folks, I can't do crosswords unless there are pictures so apologies if I've offended any crossword buffs (my Father included) - though I quite like the dual use of Barack.

300th Birthday for ... ?

Just for amusement, I'll do my best to answer questions a la "What's My Line" rather than giving clues.

We send each other cards every year ...

or "Sheffield It's Story and its Achievements - by Mary Walton" (1948)

I quite enjoyed "the chase" and thinking out the clues. Thank you for your input.

Wow we learn something everyday but I am from the other end of town. How did you know it was it's Birthday?

White House Dam = Barack + horsing + dam

Barack home = Whitehouse + Cleo's home Laine

Well-connected .... to Central Sheffield

Great foundations, well rounded walls and no roof; I may even still exist. - though now filled in.

Just meant to be for fun Folks, I can't do crosswords unless there are pictures so apologies if I've offended any crossword buffs (my Father included) - though I quite like the dual use of Barack.

So where does steam come into it?

Well there's obviously steam coming out their ears by now after all that. :blink:

Water + Heat = Steam; didn't mention steampower, I'd be hard-pressed to say a Dam/Water had nothing to do with steam, since it's 100% of the materials (other than fuel) - pretty sure its involved in the production of steel, life, almost everything - other than perhaps post-Christmas walnuts.

Water + Heat = Steam; didn't mention steampower, I'd be hard-pressed to say a Dam/Water had nothing to do with steam, since it's 100% of the materials (other than fuel) - pretty sure its involved in the production of steel, life, almost everything - other than perhaps post-Christmas walnuts.

You may claim to be rubbish at crosswords but your clues are becoming increasingly cryptic

You may claim to be rubbish at crosswords but your clues are becoming increasingly cryptic

Is a dam "something to do with steam", if I'd said no I'd have been misleading everyone - hence the "ish". Nothing cryptic there at all, the guess didn't offer a yes or no answer, so steel no-ish (although it is involved in the process) and steam "yes-ish" since out of the two things required to make steam water is the number one required item - even beyond cakes.

Is a dam "something to do with steam", if I'd said no I'd have been misleading everyone - hence the "ish". Nothing cryptic there at all, the guess didn't offer a yes or no answer, so steel no-ish (although it is involved in the process) and steam "yes-ish" since out of the two things required to make steam water is the number one required item - even beyond cakes.

So the clues were deliberately vague then.

Or at least vague-ish

Most Sheffield dams were constructed to provide HORSE power via a water wheel, although I think this one was an early attempt to provide drinking water to the town. How they managed to get water flowing uphill into the town in their bored-out tree trunks I don't know.

HD

The "getting the water into town" was what originally grabbed my attention. From my understanding of the location (under St Barts), it doesn't appear to have been very far up the hill. If it was of a considerable size then the embankment on the lower side must have been enormous - therefore, I conclude it wasn't that big.

So, with no particular drop from its location to town, indeed, probably uphill once you get to town - how did they do it ?

If it was further up the hill it would have made things easier ...

The "getting the water into town" was what originally grabbed my attention. From my understanding of the location (under St Barts), it doesn't appear to have been very far up the hill. If it was of a considerable size then the embankment on the lower side must have been enormous - therefore, I conclude it wasn't that big.

So, with no particular drop from its location to town, indeed, probably uphill once you get to town - how did they do it ?

I seem to remember someone telling me, (it might have been J. Edward Vickers), that the dam was located across from St. Barts on the site which later became the Crown Brewery/Window Frame Factory/Scrapyard and some housing on Burgoyne Road.

The boundary around the bottom of White House Lane is a funny shape and looks as though it skirted something. Incidently old maps show the road back to the city, Infirmary Road, was all called Whitehouse Lane at one time.

HD

I seem to remember someone telling me, (it might have been J. Edward Vickers), that the dam was located across from St. Barts on the site which later became the Crown Brewery/Window Frame Factory/Scrapyard and some housing on Burgoyne Road.

The boundary around the bottom of White House Lane is a funny shape and looks as though it skirted something. Incidently old maps show the road back to the city, Infirmary Road, was all called Whitehouse Lane at one time.

HD

It's about now we need the help of "map-people" with a reminder (please).

It's about now we need the help of "map-people" with a reminder (please).

See the map showing Whitehouse Dam in Bayleafs post on Nether Hallam barracks August 14th 2011. W/E.

Is this where steam comes into it?

Since the industrial revolution the usual way of lifting water up to a higher level was to pump it up using a steam powered pump,

After all, the very early steam engines from this period about 300 years ago built by Savery and Newcomen were actually designed to lift water out of flooded mines.

Would be great to know where the water was lifted to; the more we look at Whitehouse Dam, the lower altitude-wise it seems to become, with all the associated problems.

Is this where steam comes into it?

Since the industrial revolution the usual way of lifting water up to a higher level was to pump it up using a steam powered pump,

After all, the very early steam engines from this period about 300 years ago built by Savery and Newcomen were actually designed to lift water out of flooded mines.

So now we know where the dam was, replaced by the Crown Brewery, we ought to put this topic to bed for another 25 years.

According to David Hey, In the year 1737 Joshua Matthewman joined John Goodwin & Robert Littlewood in building a dam at White House. Water had been piped from springs there from an earlier date.

HD

Alternative view (from the blimp)

Private enterprise finally brought a piped water supply to the town John Goodwin, of Bawtry, wharfinger, and Robert Littlewood, of Thybergh, millwright, made the first reservoir near White House at Upperthorpe, about 1712; in 1714 the enterprise must have been well under way, since the Town Trustees on Marth 28th let to them a piece of waste ground near the Townhead Cross for any purpose they needed to supply the town with water.

In 1737 Joshua Matthewman joined them and gained the consent of the lord of the manor to the carrying out of quite an elaborate chain of dams on Crookesmoor - those dams which still give a picturesque and countrified air to the land behind Mushroom Lane and Weston Park.

Sheffield Its Story and its Achievements - Mary Walton.

Now where did my party-hat and Pomaigne go to ?

So now we know where the dam was, replaced by the Crown Brewery, we ought to put this topic to bed for another 25 years.

According to David Hey, In the year 1737 Joshua Matthewman joined John Goodwin & Robert Littlewood in building a dam at White House. Water had been piped from springs there from an earlier date.

HD

1737, Bah !

So now we know where the dam was, replaced by the Crown Brewery, we ought to put this topic to bed for another 25 years. According to David Hey, In the year 1737 Joshua Matthewman joined John Goodwin & Robert Littlewood in building a dam at White House. Water had been piped from springs there from an earlier date. HD

In the Blue corner we have Mary Walton, in the red corner David Hey.

I know where my money's on.

David Hey mentions that Goodwin & Littlewood laid pipes from the White House springs at an earlier time. They were given permission by the Duke of Norfolk for this undertaking in 1713/14. Matthewman joined with them in the construction of the dam in 1737.

Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice.

hilldweller