Possible Land Made Available For Housing.

hilldweller

I've just seen a topic on another local forum listing possible greenfield building sites that could be made available by Sheffield City Council.

There are three possible sites listed in the South Western Area. Two of these sites are over existing Yorkshire Water Service Reservoirs.

The one at Blakeney Road Crookes and the nearby dam by the Crosspool TV mast.

It seems to me inconceivable that housing could be built over the concrete lid of a service reservoir .In the past they removed farms and homesteads from within miles of dams to lessen the threat of polution.

I cannot think that Y W will be taking these dams out of service, they provide pressurised water for lower lying areas without the need for pumping.

Perhaps some office junior has been tasked with the job of looking on Google Earth for any bits of green that could be built upon.

http://sheffield-con...n-1326358241511

HD

Postscript.

Just found an article in the Sheffield Telegraph that states that Yorkshire Water are expected to eventually de-commision the reservoirs.

I could understand British Gas/ Transco/National Grid getting rid of all their gas holders because gasses are compressible and surplus can be stored in the high pressure distribution pipelines. Liquids however cannot be compressed and stored like that and the surplus water required to meet sudden or fluctuating demand can only be provided by a head of water in a storage reservoir. The next nearest service reservoir is at Carsick, some distance away.

HD

It irks me that In some places they're knocking stuff down and re-building less densely or even leaving large green spaces. Shirecliffe comes to mind, Manor etc

At Crookes and Walkley they're wedging stuff in anywhere and everywhere they can.

It irks me that In some places they're knocking stuff down and re-building less densely or even leaving large green spaces. Shirecliffe comes to mind, Manor etc

At Crookes and Walkley they're wedging stuff in anywhere and everywhere they can.

Probably because if they built houses at Crookes or Walkley they would sell them several times over. If they built them at Shirecliffe or Manor .......................

It reminds me of the time when I commented to the bloke cutting our grass verge that we got a good service up our way.

He replied that they liked to cut the grass around here because "the locals don't chuck house bricks at us while we're working" :rolleyes:

HD

Off topic HD but I just tried to PM you and got a message that you couldn't receive any new messages. Is you box full or something?

I might be wrong but I thought Weston View was already built on top of that reservoir? Precedent set so to speak.

The original open dam covered the entire site almost out to Crookes Road although I don't think it covered the bit where Weston View has been built. This was partially filled in after WW2 and a concrete service reservoir was built on the northern end of the site and covered with earth & grass. This is still there at the moment. Incidently Yorkshire Water now prefer a gravel covering for service reservoirs as earth covering can hatch biological nasties which could filter down to the water through the concrete roof. The grass has been removed from the Tapton reservoir just up the road and replaced with gravel.

Picture Sheffield has a series of photos of the old Hadfield Dam, V00500 shows the view from Crookes Road.

HD

Off topic HD but I just tried to PM you and got a message that you couldn't receive any new messages. Is you box full or something?

Sorry Bayleaf, I didn't realise my message count was that high, had a clearout now if you'd care to try again.

HD