V R Post Boxes

ukelele lady

Why is this post box painted black I wonder?

It is in the driveway of a farmhouse that used to be Crappers farm at High Bradfield.

I wonder if it is now their own personal letterbox belonging to the occupants otherwise

I think it would be painted red.

http://www.britishironworkcentre.co.uk/product/built-in-wall-post-boxes/the-elizabeth-regina-post-box-front/

That answers that then, a bit pricey though.

I wonder if they ever find other peoples un-franked post in there ?

You can just imagine someone driving past, thinking to themselves "I must find somewhere to post this letter" and spotting that just off the main road.

Can anyone use the ER cypher and crown ? I would have thought that it's use would be strictly regulated.

HD

I wonder if they ever find other peoples un-franked post in there ?

You can just imagine someone driving past, thinking to themselves "I must find somewhere to post this letter" and spotting that just off the main road.

Can anyone use the ER cypher and crown ? I would have thought that it's use would be strictly regulated.

HD

I was wondering the same HD.

I suppose if you're local you know not to post letters there after all the Post Office

is in view from where it is but as for the ER & Crown I find a bit strange, I wouldn't

have thought it would be allowed.

603 Abbeydale Road, (corner of Sheaf Ter.), 1905 street directory.

Must have been short lived, as there are no mentions in the 1901 or 1911 directories.

Sheaf Terrace, later became Sheaf Avenue.

Found another small P.O feature nearby on the corner of Broadfield Road and Abbeydale Road opposite the Broadfield Pub/Hotel. Confident enough now to assume there used to be a post box on the site ...

Better late than never! Just discovered another VR pillar box on Priory Road, Sharrow (Sharrow Lane end). Adding extant VR pillar boxes to Time Walk map. Now that old phone boxes are being listed, I wonder if pillar boxes will too at some point?

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Nownthen said:

Better late than never! Just discovered another VR pillar box on Priory Road, Sharrow (Sharrow Lane end). Adding extant VR pillar boxes to Time Walk map. Now that old phone boxes are being listed, I wonder if pillar boxes will too at some point?

https://goo.gl/maps/LFKPiHzPfPRwcKBB8

pobox.jpg

Victoria’s first language was German, whilst Edward V11 spoke English with a German accent, George V was the first Hanoverian to abandon the German language. Both Queen Victoria and Edward V11 were lucky that the recorded voice was in it’s infancy or ‘their’ post box’s might not have survived WW1.