Walkley Bank/walkley Road Early 20Th Century

saw119

I've had a good look on here and I just cant find a map, 1910-1930ish, of the Walkley Road end of Walkey Bank Road. It is alos missing from the 1950's 0S maps on here. I'd like to have a look as I've recently found a new address for my relatives from the 1911 census. They lived opposite the Sportsman Inn and I would like to have a look on the maps of that period as the house has now been demolished and there are absolutely no pictures of Walkley Bank Road on Picture Sheffield! Does anyone have any?

Try the following:- old-maps.co.uk

Put in the modern postcode for the bit of Walkley Bank Road and you will find large and small scale maps from early to modern.

Incidently my grandfathers parents lived in a terrace opposite the (now demolished) Sportsman around that time. I haven't got the exact address to hand at the moment.

HD

I bought the maps and scanned them, a grown-up stuck them back together - this took months and a fine resource it is.

However, we can only post the maps we have and those that are outside the Copyright (50 years + the rest of the year of issue).

Don't remember if there are any more we can post now we are in 2012; I no longer have the maps - they are under someone's sofa/bed/cat in Sheffield at an address I don't have.

Originally it was "about 100 maps", but, pickup by a Sheffielder and mention of "SheffieldHistory" resulted in rather more maps than we thought, I think we stopped at 325 or thereabouts - there are more maps and sometimes snippets show up to illustrate a particular point/query.

If anyone has more maps, out of copyright, I can a man who scans ... :rolleyes:

I've had a good look on here and I just cant find a map, 1910-1930ish, of the Walkley Road end of Walkey Bank Road. It is alos missing from the 1950's 0S maps on here. I'd like to have a look as I've recently found a new address for my relatives from the 1911 census. They lived opposite the Sportsman Inn and I would like to have a look on the maps of that period as the house has now been demolished and there are absolutely no pictures of Walkley Bank Road on Picture Sheffield! Does anyone have any?

I'd love to see any more maps of Walkley since I'm a Walkley-lad myself.

Make that "lad of old" !

Thanks SteveHB. I'm presuming that the large building across the road from the Sportsman is Southey Villa, built 1855, which is still there and now numbered 109. So if the house numbering has remained constant then my Great great Grandfather lived in one of those terraces next to it, number 103. According to the census return there were only 4 rooms in the house so they must have been quite small.

Thanks SteveHB. I'm presuming that the large building across the road from the Sportsman is Southey Villa, built 1855, which is still there and now numbered 109. So if the house numbering has remained constant then my Great great Grandfather lived in one of those terraces next to it, number 103. According to the census return there were only 4 rooms in the house so they must have been quite small.

Not sure about Southey Villa as it is not named on any maps I have looked on,

but the row of five terraced houses (marked on map) is called 'Bamford Terrace' on a 1890's map.

Walkley Bank Road, 1925.

----- Providence road -----

83 Williams Frederick,' shopkeepr.

85 Priest Frederick Walter, (j) french polisher.

87 Noblett Thos.supt.of canvassers.

89 Sanderson Wm. (j) saw maker.

91 Feathers tone Mrs. Maria Louisa.

93 Bladen Thos, armature winder.

95 Roberts James, bookkeeper.

97 Leverton Thomas W. grinder.

99 Jacklin Roland, manager.

101 Laycock Arthur E. labourer.

103 Curtis Mrs. Sarah.

109 Glossop Charles, builder.

129 Baines Edward, (j) bricklayr.

131 & 133 Shepherd Mrs. Christiana, grocer.

135 Shepherd Jas. carting contrctr.

----- Court 1 -----

=============================

PS: I see 'Southey Villa' (109) with the 1855 date stone on Google street view.

Not sure about Southey Villa as it is not named on any maps I have looked on,

but the row of five terraced houses (marked on map) is called 'Bamford Terrace' on a 1890's map.

Walkley Bank Road, 1925.

----- Providence road -----

83 Williams Frederick,' shopkeepr.

85 Priest Frederick Walter, (j) french polisher.

87 Noblett Thos.supt.of canvassers.

89 Sanderson Wm. (j) saw maker.

91 Feathers tone Mrs. Maria Louisa.

93 Bladen Thos, armature winder.

95 Roberts James, bookkeeper.

97 Leverton Thomas W. grinder.

99 Jacklin Roland, manager.

101 Laycock Arthur E. labourer.

103 Curtis Mrs. Sarah.

109 Glossop Charles, builder.

129 Baines Edward, (j) bricklayr.

131 & 133 Shepherd Mrs. Christiana, grocer.

135 Shepherd Jas. carting contrctr.

----- Court 1 -----

=============================

PS: I see 'Southey Villa' (109) with the 1855 date stone on Google street view.

The biggest question I have is whether the Victorian/Edwardian numbering of the houses is the same as it is now, it seems that given the gaps in numbering in the Kelly's that it was. I've checked most of the Kelly's Directories from the relevant time frame. Just wish there were some pictures. The Bamford Terrace info is new to me though so thanks.

The biggest question I have is whether the Victorian/Edwardian numbering of the houses is the same as it is now, it seems that given the gaps in numbering in the Kelly's that it was.

I would say it is saw119.

I used to have #53. The deeds didn't show any change of numbering over the years. I would have remembered that.

Small you say he he -- #53 has a 3.6 x 3.6 mtr front room, a 3 x 2.5 kitchen. Stairs to a bedroom, 2 x 1.5 boxroom and a bathroom slightly bigger than a bath sink and toilet.

In fact I remember that when I fitted the bathroom, I had a small bath specially made in order to leave slightly more room to get the rest in. lol

I would say it is saw119.

I used to have #53. The deeds didn't show any change of numbering over the years. I would have remembered that.

Small you say he he -- #53 has a 3.6 x 3.6 mtr front room, a 3 x 2.5 kitchen. Stairs to a bedroom, 2 x 1.5 boxroom and a bathroom slightly bigger than a bath sink and toilet.

In fact I remember that when I fitted the bathroom, I had a small bath specially made in order to leave slightly more room to get the rest in. lol

#103 is recorded as having 4 rooms in the 1911 census including the kitchen! It's only for four people though!! :huh:

#103 is recorded as having 4 rooms in the 1911 census including the kitchen! It's only for four people though!! :huh:

Keep in mind that the bathroom and boxroom were created out of the small second bedroom which was above the kitchen. Before that it was just 2up 2down with an outside toilet and a tin bath hanging up outside. Whole families and even lodgers lived in this type of house

Keep in mind that the bathroom and boxroom were created out of the small second bedroom which was above the kitchen. Before that it was just 2up 2down with an outside toilet and a tin bath hanging up outside. Whole families and even lodgers lived in this type of house

My family lived in this type of house. Mind you, we did have an off-shot kitchen with a stone sink and a double gas ring. Our tin bath normally lived on a nail at the bottom of the cellar steps.

HD

Mind you, we did have an off-shot kitchen with a stone sink and a double gas ring.

HD

All right - all right - stop showing off. lol

I too lived in one of these on South Road, Walkey in the 1980's! Tin bath, outside toilet, no heating, we had no front room as it was actually a lockup shop.

Walkley Bank card post dated 24/02/1909. No location on open air swimming pool but thought to be Rivelin W/E .

Walkley Bank card post dated 24/02/1909. No location on open air swimming pool but thought to be Rivelin W/E .

The open air pool was converted from the "New Dam" which was built to suppliment the Spooner Dam & Wheels. I understand it was converted sometime after 1908 but the wooden changing rooms and boundary fence burnt down before WW2.

The dam is now completely overgrown with trees but it can be found by walking through the childrens playground (circa 1951 Festival of Britain) which was built on the site of the Spooner Dam.

Walk across the footbridge, and the "New Dam" is upsteam over the river on the right. Just past it is the Roscoe Bridge and path up to Stannington.

HD

The numbering does n't cause many problems these days as the old courts and back to backs have gone.

Where this was done wholesale it made no odds as the site became built on with totally new addresses or alternatively was left as open space.

Where demolition was completed in a piecemeal manner as with, e.g. Providence Road, Walkley the court and back to back housing was removed and left vacant or built on wth the new addresses being given a letter in addition to the number.

For anyone seeking further insight into the court and back to back buildings and living conditions you may find a small pamphlet (city Library) titled ' The Walkley Riot' of use.