Aerial view of Attercliffe

RichardB

Guest transit

Let me know if you work out anything from this ....

Well before my time , but i"ll guess the top road running from left to right is Staniforth Road ,and the large factory just below on the right looks like Cravens who used to build tramcars for Sheffield, and railway wagons (hence the turntable for access in and out of the factory)This site has only recently been cleared to make way for a housing estate. I think the photo was taken above , what is now, the parkway , and would show the Makro centre bottom , if taken today. I would guess the date being around 1948-50 .Am i close?

Guest Broakham

I think it is a view of the Brightside sidings. Brightside Lane runs across the top, Carlisle Street across the centre with Newhall Road joining the two under the railway bridge. The factory is Cyclops Works and the strange-shaped building bottom right is the Grimesthorpe Brickworks. I would guess the date as early 1900s.

From the information I have, it is the Cyclops Works on Carlise Street, which would make the junction with Newhall Road correct, the diagonal Road opposite the Newhall Road junction is Carlisle Road; my grandfather and my parents lived there at 63a Carlisle Road.

Date given for photo is early 1900's.

I have no information relating to a brickworks, but if that's something you know of/remember, then we've got a result.

From the information I have, it is the Cyclops Works on Carlise Street, which would make the junction with Newhall Road correct, the diagonal Road opposite the Newhall Road junction is Carlisle Road; my grandfather and my parents lived there at 63a Carlisle Road.
Date given for photo is early 1900's.

I have no information relating to a brickworks, but if that's something you know of/remember, then we've got a result.

Here is an additional picture from Picture Sheffield

Cyclops Works from Saville Street, year unknown

From A History of Sheffield - David Hey

I got the brickworks from the 1905 'Godfrey' map (Sheffield North).

Good work, I've mislaid my Attercliffe map - buffoon lol

It's a picture of the Cammel Works (don't know the year) at Grimesthorpe and the road which intersects across the middle is Carlisle Street East. The diagonal road from top right to bottom left is Carlisle Road with Botham Street the first left past the Brickworks and then Hunsley Street.

This picture means a heck of a lot to me because I was brought up on Moss Street, which is the very last left turn off Carlisle Road and you can JUST see the back of our house (no 37) and my bedroom window!!!! Moss Street was flattened like all the others in the area in the 60s and it became part of Petre Street which filtered down (or up on the picture) and round onto what was Adsetts Street to join Carlisle St East.

You certainly took your time getting here ! lol

Welcome to the Site, have a look around, hopefully more of interest.

Maybe one of our helpful "Fairies" can stick an arrow on your bedroom window.

...it's only taken me 40-odd (very odd) years to get on board!!!

One of my first memories was of the 62 gales when the first hosue on Clevedon Street had its side blown off...beds, cubpoards, telly etc were still intact. Looked like a doll's house.

One of my first memories was of the 62 gales when the first hosue on Clevedon Street had its side blown off...beds, cubpoards, telly etc were still intact. Looked like a doll's house.

I'm but a mere child, born in March 1962.

Post up your memories/pictures Paul and tell your mates; we have a variety of people good on various topics; all helpful and polite. Need a Victorian era Public House ? I'm your man - strange claim, but we do cover other stuff - including Transport which I keep forgetting to mention.

And one of our pre-mentioned Fairies might just drop in a link to your former home from our 1950's OS Maps (that would be the Link Fairy).

Welcome to the site paulrickett.

If you have not already done so take a look at this thread, I am sure it will be of interest.

Like you one of the formative events in my early years was the 1962 Sheffield Gale.

1962 Sheffield gales

Not THE link fairy, just standing in. :)

A stand-in for a fairy :blink:

Over the next month you will probably be one of Santa's little hepers lol

Sorry, twas 37 Moss Street where I lived..probably me babbling on in all my excitement!!! Magnify it in photoshop and you can see the Noddy wallpaper in my bedroom.

Only kidding! ;-) It was no 1 Clevedon Street that got hammered by the gales and I saw it from the back yard of no 128 Carlisle Road.

Thanks for the interest and pointers.

© Crown Copyright 1954, Reproduced by kind permission of the Ordnance Survey

Thought I'd attempt a then & now via Google Earth:

Well done Jeremy, I get it now, I was lookinig from the other direction

What was the round building with the chimney?

Sorry, twas 37 Moss Street where I lived..probably me babbling on in all my excitement!!! Magnify it in photoshop and you can see the Noddy wallpaper in my bedroom.

Only kidding! ;-) It was no 1 Clevedon Street that got hammered by the gales and I saw it from the back yard of no 128 Carlisle Road.

Thanks for the interest and pointers.

© Crown Copyright 1954, Reproduced by kind permission of the Ordnance Survey

[

Two coloured maps of the area.

Sorry not sure about copyright!! Please advise.