Help Needed To Identify Building

Guest jillrog

Jill I think that perhaps when he came back to Sheffield with his new wife they could have worked perhaps together at Richmond Hill. I am doing lots of research on my family now so when I next go to Sheffield library I will see if I can find out anything for you as well. There are a lot of free sites on Sheffield history and I have searched a few for you but they are all to far back so I will check the reference books for you as it is my winter hobby.

Syl

So, Harry S Baker, Decorator had moved out by then we assume (2 Pinner Road, 1911 & 1919)

... They must have come back to Sheffield after this as my dad was born at 2 Pinner Road in 1923 and he is in the photo at Richmond Hill. ...

Guest jillrog

Hi Syl My grandfathers first wife died in 1921, he then returned to Ulverston-Barrow in Furness where he married my grandmother in 1922. My father was born at 2 Pinner Road Sheffield in 1923 so I am assuming they had come back to live in Sheffield by then. My father was in the picture above of Richmond Hill which means it was taken after 1923 probably around 1925 to 1927 looking at it. I will try and find some more information out from my sister. I know by 1931 that my grandfather is mentioned in someones will as a retired fish dealer so he had evidentely given up the fish shop by then. I wonder if he was doing carpentry work at Richmond Hill as I sem to remember in Scotland he was a journeyman carpenter. The names of Siddons and Cotterill certainly don't mean anything to me and they haven't cropped up in the family tree anywhere yet. How far forward do the Sheffield Indexers go? Hopefully I will speak to you again when I have more information :-) Jill PS Thanks again for your help

Just found out that Harrington Offley Shore was born in Richmond Hill 24 Nov 1833 (Sorry I get easily diverted)

Guest jillrog

So, Harry S Baker, Decorator had moved out by then we assume (2 Pinner Road, 1911 & 1919)

Richard I can only hope so !!!!!

I looked on google maps and it appears to be flats now and a really weird sort of triangular shape.

Guest jillrog

Jill I think that perhaps when he came back to Sheffield with his new wife they could have worked perhaps together at Richmond Hill. I am doing lots of research on my family now so when I next go to Sheffield library I will see if I can find out anything for you as well. There are a lot of free sites on Sheffield history and I have searched a few for you but they are all to far back so I will check the reference books for you as it is my winter hobby. Syl

Thank you so much Syl I really appreciate it

Jill

Richard I can only hope so !!!!!

I looked on google maps and it appears to be flats now and a really weird sort of triangular shape.

They are the new flats if you can see a pathway down the side of them it is at the side of that. The front view photo in the snow is on the google maps and was only taken last year. When I looked on the google site though I thought it must have gone that's why I went to look. :)

Jill on google maps zoom in near the blue car. I have just looked again on the maps and from above it looks so different. It is like a rectangular block with an extra bit on the left. when you zoom in right over it you can get it much better and clearer . It's the building between Stradbroke Walk and Richmond Hill cottages. If you look at the back view that I took you can see that bit on it. Zooming in gives you the other view in the snow. It's no good you will have to come back from Spain!

Guest jillrog

Sorry Richard ,

Harrington Offley Shaw born 1833 and next Harrington Offley Shore born 24 Nov 1868.

Anyway this is what happens when I get diverted So sorry.

I should have said yesterday its the Pinner Road address that looks like flats and is triangular. My brain works faster than I can type!!!! (which isn't difficult)

This tree (Florence Nightingale) is a wonderful piece of work.

Once again Richard I apologise for making you lose the plot!!

Jill

Plot-lossage is a speciality of mine - especially when reseaching stuff I've no idea whatsoever about.

Sorry Richard ,

This tree (Florence Nightingale) is a wonderful piece of work.

Once again Richard I apologise for making you lose the plot!!

Jill

Guest jillrog

Plot-lossage is a speciality of mine - especially when reseaching stuff I've no idea whatsoever about.

I know the feeling !! :-)

Guest jillrog

It's a bad quality image to start with (low res scan??) zoom in the original

This is as good as I can do

Hi

Thanks for the image. It is definitely clearer. The original is in storage in the UK at the moment but as soon as we move back (Spain at the moment) I will make a better scan and put it on here.

Once again thanks

Guest jillrog

Hi

Just a quick update. The last info I have on Richmond Hill House (from my sister) is that my father and his parents lived there on their own from about 1924 until possibly 1933-5

It was a 16 bedroom house and it was my grandfathers project. To do it up

I know one of the room had black and silver wallpaper!!! (Back in fashion again!)

It was from living here and watching and helping his father that my dad picked up his love of DIY and woodwork.

Anymore suggestions as to why they were living here or indeed if they owned it would be more than welcome.

Thank you for all your help.

Jill

Hi. 

I found this thread, as was searching for 813 Abbeydale Road posts on the internet.
I'm the current owner of it.

So interesting to see and hear about the first resident of it. 

Hope your Grandfather enjoyed his time at the house.

thanks, Richard

From Le Tall's Woodhouse.

Thomas Dunn lived at Richmond Hill house. The family came from Boston and moved to Malin Bridge. William Dunn lost his house in the Flood, his son Thomas went to live at Richmond Hill. He married a woman from the Horncastle family. But they had no children and he died in 1871 in the house. Thomas was the manager of the Sheffield Coal Company and a Liberal. It is said that he had to jump over a wall to escape from rioting workmen and doing so injured his leg which he never recovered from. He left the Coal Company to the Gainsford family of Darnall. One of which was his nephew. And in 1875 William Dunn Gainsford was in charge of the S.C.C. and residing at Richmond Hill House. 

Thomas Robert Gainsford went on to live in Woodthorpe Hall.