Help Needed To Identify Building

Guest jillrog

Guest jillrog

Hi I'm new to this site.

My Grandfather used to live in Sheffield

He was a fish dealer and I have just found him in Whites 1919

John Kennedy Fried Fish Dealer 58-59 London Road Sheffield.

Please can someone tell me what the building is now.

Also we have a photo of the house the family used to live in (we believe)

It is just marked Richmond Hill

Could someone please tell me if the building is still standing what it is and what it used to be? Thank you very much

I think the photo was probably taken about 1925 1927 as my grandfather and father are sitting on the wall.

I will now try and attach it!!!!!

Thank you very much for your help and Happy New Year

Jill

Hi I'm new to this site.

58 & 59 would have been on opposite sides of London Rd, 59 being on the left going away from Sheffield, TC Harrisons later took over 53 - 67 for their showroom, now demolished and replaced with modern student accomodation.

58 would have been accross the road, many of which are still business's, mainly take aways, still trying to work out exactly where 58 is.

Hello and Welcome to the Site.

Let's see of the "Photo Fairies" can improve the image any.

John Kennedy, Fried Fish dealer, is known at London Road, as follows :

58 London Road 1905

58 London Road 1911

58 & 59 London Road 1919

As regards Richmond Hill, I don't even know where it is ! However, Richmond Hill is known as the residence of a couple of Worthies ...

Offley Shore, Banker, 1833

Thomas Dunn, Coal Owner and J.P., 1849 and 1852

so, my guess it's a day out. I await others commentsabout "Richmond Hill".

Hi I'm new to this site.

Could someone please tell me if the building is still standing what it is and what it used to be? Thank you very much

I think the photo was probably taken about 1925 1927 as my grandfather and father are sitting on the wall.

Jill

I agree with the finding in 1919 at 58 & 59 (from SRO), maybe it was a very long fish ? he he

58 & 59 would have been on opposite sides of London Rd, 59 being on the left going away from Sheffield, TC Harrisons later took over 53 - 67 for their showroom, now demolished and replaced with modern student accomodation. 58 would have been accross the road, many of which are still business's, mainly take aways, still trying to work out exactly where 58 is.

58 & 59 would have been on opposite sides of London Rd, 59 being on the left going away from Sheffield, TC Harrisons later took over 53 - 67 for their showroom, now demolished and replaced with modern student accomodation.

58 would have been accross the road, many of which are still business's, mainly take aways, still trying to work out exactly where 58 is.

I think 58 would have been where the gap is now, currently a 2nd hand car lot

The house Richmond Hill was (and probably still is) on Stradbroke road near the road that leads down to Stradbroke school sorry just can't remember if it was Drive or Crescent. My Mum and Dad lived on Richmond Hill Road in 1935 and used to get all their post as the Road was originally just called Richmond Hill as well. I can remember the house vaguely but it was behind a big wall when I was young. There was also Richmond Hill cottages they were in the same grounds as the house but I seem to think they were out buildings . I will have to get in touch with my older Brother as he had a friend that lived in them and see what he remembers. I will also go and see if the house is still there as it was not that long ago.

With a bit of luck the photo should be here fingers crossed.

I just checked and this picture was on Panoramio.

I am still going to go and have a look round though because Richmond Hill cottages are marked on google and although this is called Richmond Hill house It looks better than I remember it and the cottages are in the right place for the house. I know Stradbroke school grounds went up to the house grounds at the back .

Hi I'm new to this site.

Jill

I had a go at improving not much better.

With a bit of luck the photo should be here fingers crossed.

I just checked and this picture was on Panoramio.

I am still going to go and have a look round though because Richmond Hill cottages are marked on google and although this is called Richmond Hill house It looks better than I remember it and the cottages are in the right place for the house. I know Stradbroke school grounds went up to the house grounds at the back .

If it is the same place then it looks like a front and rear view. The sepia photo being of the rear.

Guest jillrog

Hello again

Thank you so much for all your help

Grandad was Scottish born in Freswick in Caithness and married Jane Patterson from Ireland in 1896 (married in Barrow in Furness)

Sadly she died in 1921 and grandad remarried my grandmother in 1922., in Ulverston (near Barrow in Furness)

They must have come back to Sheffield after this as my dad was born at 2 Pinner Road in 1923 and he is in the photo at Richmond Hill.

Would anyone know what the fish shop was called, just out of curiosity?

Since your improvement of the photo it is definitely clearer so thank you very much

The roof line of "Richmond Hill" does look right comparing the 2 photos if you take one as the back view.

Once again thank you all very much. The information has been great to get and puts things together. Unfortunately I didn't start on the family history

until after my father had passed away and John Kennedy (grandfather) died in 1935.

I probably have more photos but they will be in the UK and I am in Spain until we sell this house but as soon as I can find any I will post them.

Thanks

Jill

It is the front view I have been today and if you walk down the side of the new flats you can see the rear view.

The back is not in quite as good condition as the front !!

It is now made into several flats so the doorways have been altered but you can see it is the same house.

It backs onto Stradbrooke School, which I attended as a nipper.

I also attended Stradbroke school as a nipper I went on the first day the school opened.

I also notice that I have added one of the photo's twice I would delete it but if I do you can be sure that I will delete the wrong one. :( B)

Guest jillrog

Syl

Thank you so much for the photos. It was really nice of you to go there and take the photos.

As far as I can remember the nearest I have been to Sheffield is to drive past it on the A1 or thro' it on a train.

Grandmother moved to Manchester and I was brought up in Stockton on Tees before moving to Devon and then Spain

Thanks again for the photos

Jill

Syl

Thank you so much for the photos. It was really nice of you to go there and take the photos.

As far as I can remember the nearest I have been to Sheffield is to drive past it on the A1 or thro' it on a train.

Grandmother moved to Manchester and I was brought up in Stockton on Tees before moving to Devon and then Spain

Thanks again for the photos

Jill

You're welcome Jill I don't live far away from Richmond and as I spent the first 21 years of my life there and my Mum lived there for nearly 70 it was good going for a look round.

Guest jillrog

Hello Again

Sorry to be a nuisance! Would anybody be able to tell me who the inhabitants of Richmond Hill House were?

Particularly around 1923 to 1930 ish

I don't know, but would presume that if my grandparents lived there they would have been renting or was it owned by a more prosperous branch of the family?

Possibly Jones, Noble or Cook. Is there anyway of finding out Please, Thank you

Jill

Guest jillrog

1901 Grocer Manager, 813 Abbeydale Road and a bonus extra initial !

Hello

I think the "bonus initial" stands for Jack which makes him John Jack Kennedy The Jack being his mothers maiden name.

Thank you for enhancing the photo. It certainly makes it clearer. Would be be able to find out where he was a grocer manager? and how and where would I start?

Once again Thank you (and everyone else) for all the help. (I have just worked out how to reply to each post individually!!!!!) Jill

Hello Again

Sorry to be a nuisance! Would anybody be able to tell me who the inhabitants of Richmond Hill House were?

Particularly around 1923 to 1930 ish

I don't know, but would presume that if my grandparents lived there they would have been renting or was it owned by a more prosperous branch of the family?

Possibly Jones, Noble or Cook. Is there anyway of finding out Please, Thank you

Jill

Hello jillrog , you're no nuisance, it's questions like these that makes the posts all the more intriguing.

I am not familiar with this area but I'm sure there are plenty out there who can help you with

this one. Maybe your grandparents worked there as a couple for the owner of the Richmond Hill House.

Looking through the libraries Burgess Rolls could give a clue.

Guest jillrog

Hello jillrog , you're no nuisance, it's questions like these that makes the posts all the more intriguing. I am not familiar with this area but I'm sure there are plenty out there who can help you with this one. Maybe your grandparents worked there as a couple for the owner of the Richmond Hill House. Looking through the libraries Burgess Rolls could give a clue.
Thanks ukelele lady I will give that a try.

I don't think they would have been working for anyone there as Grandad was a fish dealer with his own business

Any other thoughts gratefully received

Jill

Well according to my older Brother it was a family called Siddons who were solicitors they had a chauffer who lived in the house next door who was called Cotterill. I would also assume from this that your Grandparents either worked for them or were related maybe? The house was bought by the council in the early 50s and turned into flats. If you google Treeton web you will also find that in 1833 it was occupied by an Offley Shore who was a banker.

Just noticed on Sheffield Indexers that John Kennedy resided at 58 London road in 1905 so not just a fish shop he also lived there then and was still there in 1921.

Guest jillrog

Well according to my older Brother it was a family called Siddons who were solicitors they had a chauffer who lived in the house next door who was called Cotterill. I would also assume from this that your Grandparents either worked for them or were related maybe? The house was bought by the council in the early 50s and turned into flats. If you google Treeton web you will also find that in 1833 it was occupied by an Offley Shore who was a banker.

Just noticed on Sheffield Indexers that John Kennedy resided at 58 London road in 1905 so not just a fish shop he also lived there then and was still there in 1921.

Hi Syl

My grandfathers first wife died in 1921, he then returned to Ulverston-Barrow in Furness where he married my grandmother in 1922. My father was born at 2 Pinner Road Sheffield in 1923 so I am assuming they had come back to live in Sheffield by then. My father was in the picture above of Richmond Hill which means it was taken after 1923 probably around 1925 to 1927 looking at it. I will try and find some more information out from my sister. I know by 1931 that my grandfather is mentioned in someones will as a retired fish dealer so he had evidentely given up the fish shop by then. I wonder if he was doing carpentry work at Richmond Hill as I sem to remember in Scotland he was a journeyman carpenter. The names of Siddons and Cotterill certainly don't mean anything to me and they haven't cropped up in the family tree anywhere yet. How far forward do the Sheffield Indexers go?

Hopefully I will speak to you again when I have more information :-) Jill PS Thanks again for your help