John Holloway & Co. Ltd, Wellington Street, Sheffield

jhcrawshaw

Hi, I posted this message below a few years ago on another website and one of my relatives reposted it on here I believe last year but without any results so I'm posting it again in case anyone with fresh eyes can provide any info, see below,

I would like to know if anyone can help with information about a Cutlery Manufacturing business that one of my Great Uncles used to own in Sheffield.

My G. Uncle's name was "John HOLLOWAY" and the name of his company was,

J. Holloway & Co.

He firstly had his business on Rockingham Lane (or Cross Rockingham Lane ?) as I was told. There he manufactured "Farrier Knives" and "Surgical Instruments." Later, he moved his business to larger premises at "19-23 Wellington Street" where he traded from approx 1945 - 1955. The brand name of his company was "HOLCO" and he manufactured table cutlery at these premises.

Recently his son "Jack" has purchased (from an Antique fair) a mint condition boxed set of a half dozen "Dessert Knives" that was manufactured by his fathers company, on the blades of the knives is stamped the following,

J. Holloway & Co.

Trade "HOLCO" Mark

Sheffield England

Stainless Steel

The knives had their original price on the box which was 18/6 for the half dozen.

If anyone out there can help me with any information, on either the company, or the product I would be extremely grateful. Any snippet, no matter how trivial would be gratefully accepted.

Jeremy Crawshaw

THE LONDON GAZETTE, 4 JUNE, 1957

APPOINTMENTS OF TRUSTEES.

HOLLOIWIAY. John Fell, residing at 49. Shepperson

Road, Sheffield, in the county of York, and lately

carrying on business at 19-23, Wellington Street,

. Sheffield aforesaid, under the style or name otf

J. Holloway & Co., as a CUTLERY MANUFACTURER.

Court—SHEFFIELD. No. of

Matter—15 of 1957. Trustee's Name, Address

and Description—Cardwell. Percy, 93, Queen

Street, Sheffield, Incorporated Accountant. Date

-1 of Certificate of Appointment—30th May, 1957.

THE LONDON GAZETTE, 4 JUNE, 1957

APPOINTMENTS OF TRUSTEES.

HOLLOIWIAY. John Fell, residing at 49. Shepperson

Road, Sheffield, in the county of York, and lately

carrying on business at 19-23, Wellington Street,

. Sheffield aforesaid, under the style or name otf

J. Holloway & Co., as a CUTLERY MANUFACTURER.

Court—SHEFFIELD. No. of

Matter—15 of 1957. Trustee's Name, Address

and Description—Cardwell. Percy, 93, Queen

Street, Sheffield, Incorporated Accountant. Date

-1 of Certificate of Appointment—30th May, 1957.

I must come on here more often as I have only just seen your post about John Holloway & Co. Many thanks for this it's much appreciated.

You may wish to look into this chap also :

Thomas Ibbotson, Cutlery manufacturer, 23 Wellington Street, home 134 Walkley Lane (Kelly's 1925 Directory)

Guest Fishless

Hello. I found some of your previous notices re J. Holloway when doing some research on an item I bought with some vintage spoons early last year. Myself not being from the computer age, have only just learnt in the last 2 weeks, how to list photos on the web. Now, hopefully, listed below is a web address of a photo of a knife that may be of interest to you and other family members. I do not know the manufacture period of the item for as you have found out there is very little information about the company.

Image https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-GSP4cxUPDQM/UT81R5pfGtI/AAAAAAAAAE0/anjUyh6IGpE/w1275-h428-o-k/j%2Bholl%2Bbknife%2Bcheap%2Bspoons%2Bno2B%2B006.jpg

Fishless

On 13/03/2013 at 14:15, Fishless said:

Hello. I found some of your previous notices re J. Holloway when doing some research on an item I bought with some vintage spoons early last year. Myself not being from the computer age, have only just learnt in the last 2 weeks, how to list photos on the web. Now, hopefully, listed below is a web address of a photo of a knife that may be of interest to you and other family members. I do not know the manufacture period of the item for as you have found out there is very little information about the company.

Image https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-GSP4cxUPDQM/UT81R5pfGtI/AAAAAAAAAE0/anjUyh6IGpE/w1275-h428-o-k/j%2Bholl%2Bbknife%2Bcheap%2Bspoons%2Bno2B%2B006.jpg

post-19886-0-09122200-1363183836_thumb.jpg

Fishless

I’m 5 years late at seeing this reply but thank you for the picture of the HOLLOWAY bread knife.

If this is yours and you ever want to sell it I would be very interested in buying it from you?

Jeremy Crawshaw