Horse Troughs

ukelele lady

There was a Trough outside Shukers Garage near the Junction of Broad St and Duke St, I can remember it in the late fifties. There was also one set in the wall just up Chesterfield Rd on the right going out of Town.

There was a Trough outside Shukers Garage near the Junction of Broad St and Duke St, I can remember it in the late fifties. There was also one set in the wall just up Chesterfield Rd on the right going out of Town.

Sounds like the same trough that Waterside Echo mentions, opposite Valley Road.

Marked on the 1950's with a 'Tr'

Going back to the mid 50s there must have been at least half a dozen or so large horse troughs left dotted in and around Sheffield. They came in very handy whilst out cycling for finding punctures. The ones I remember were at the bottom of Chatham Street, London Road [opposite Valley Road] and one somewhere near Spital Hill. W/E.

There use to be one at the crossroads with Netherthorpe Place/ Netherthorpe Street and Meadow Street

It stood beside the men's urinal. Although there's a picture of the urinal on the Sheffield Library Pictures

it must have been taken just after the trough was taken away.

Guest bullerboy

I (found) a trough many years ago in the undergrowth at Abbeydale Hamlet and it was the one that stood on Pitsmoor Rd just above the Toll Bar and I made enquiries to by it but the lady who was in charge janet I think virtually said no way,I think this may be early eighties.

I (found) a trough many years ago in the undergrowth at Abbeydale Hamlet and it was the one that stood on Pitsmoor Rd just above the Toll Bar and I made enquiries to by it but the lady who was in charge janet I think virtually said no way,I think this may be early eighties.

It seems to have been the one that was in Fitzalan Square, see post 1 and post 21.

Ukelele,yes it was difinately the one from Pitsmoor.

Makes you wonder how many they have got hidden in there doesn't it?

Do they now have it on show?

I remember, years ago, reading of a large one from the Tontine Hotel being bought by George Wostenholme for his Kenwood House/Hall?

I cant just remember where I read it but it still interests me. I remember having a quick look around the Kenwood but didn't see it.

mike

I remember, years ago, reading of a large one from the Tontine Hotel being bought by George Wostenholme for his Kenwood House/Hall?

I cant just remember where I read it but it still interests me. I remember having a quick look around the Kenwood but didn't see it.

mike

I just got a copy of "They lived in Sharrow & Nether Edge" and there's a section on George Wostenholme and Kenwood, but no mention of the trough I'm afraid. Slightly along similar lines though it does say that when his old Washington Works was demolished in 1978 the carved stone "Washington" bit of the name was acquired by the Washington pub, and now graces their wall facing Wellington Street. (Actually, not quite, it's actually on Bowdon Street but faces along Wellington Street!)

Hi Bay

Thanks for that, I didn't know that and I go in the pub. I could never figure out how the factory fitted in, even after studying maps, pics.

Re. The Tontine Trough

I have found my source-Sheffield Star 2010 May 25th. article by Rachael Clegg.

"Wolstenholme also bought a trough from the Tontine Inn....cut from a solid block of gritstone and could hold 400 gallons....enough to feed a dozen horses...one of the (Kenwood) gardens most famous features but as has since been removed"

Mike

Hi Bay

Thanks for that, I didn't know that and I go in the pub. I could never figure out how the factory fitted in, even after studying maps, pics.

Re. The Tontine Trough

I have found my source-Sheffield Star 2010 May 25th. article by Rachael Clegg.

"Wolstenholme also bought a trough from the Tontine Inn....cut from a solid block of gritstone and could hold 400 gallons....enough to feed a dozen horses...one of the (Kenwood) gardens most famous features but as has since been removed"

Mike

But we've still no clue as to where it was removed to.

I used to drive past these all the time without knowing they were there.

Thanks to Ron Clayton for telling me about them.

It seems like there are three troughs here all in a row on Loxley Road.

I used to drive past these all the time without knowing they were there.

Thanks to Ron Clayton for telling me about them.

It seems like there are three troughs here all in a row on Loxley Road.

The top trough with the lovely stone cover was for the use of bipeds rather than quadrupeds. The cover was to stop horses drinking from it.

As kids we used to drink the lovely cool water, which came through through the back in a stoneware pipe, with cupped hands, and I don't remember suffering any dire consequences.

In those days the tap water was very heavily chlorinated and the water in the trough made a refreshing change.

I wouldn't drink from it nowadays after the land behind it was built upon.

HD

Anyone recognise these? (HD not allowed!)(There's a clue there...)

There are plenty of things that HD is not allowed to do but that's never stopped him in the past.

They are horse troughs that horses don't seem to drink from, although plenty of them trot past.

They always seem to be filled with liquid mud for some reason.

The situation of these troughs always seems a bit spookey to me.

HD

I just got a copy of "They lived in Sharrow & Nether Edge" and there's a section on George Wostenholme and Kenwood, but no mention of the trough I'm afraid. Slightly along similar lines though it does say that when his old Washington Works was demolished in 1978 the carved stone "Washington" bit of the name was acquired by the Washington pub, and now graces their wall facing Wellington Street. (Actually, not quite, it's actually on Bowdon Street but faces along Wellington Street!)

And here it is in situ

I am pleased to report that the Abbeydale Hamlet Horse Trough is still alive and kicking and that following restoration, [apparently all of the original legs disappeared whilst in storage at Abbeydale and had to be replaced], has now found a permanent home at the RSPCA Sheffield premises, Darnall. It is now on the grassed area between the new cattery and dog kennels.

There is a small explanatory pedestal, with a brief resume as to the trough’s adventures before arrival at the RSPCA, as per the photograph attached.

My apologies for the poor quality of these images, but I only had my telephone camera with me at the time. I will take some better resolution images using a digital camera, when I visit next.

In the meantime, I hope that you will agree with me in saying that this is a very fitting residence for a little bit of Sheffield’s past glories.

Anybody recognise this one? Recently appeared in the garden of a house at Bents Green.

Inscription reads "ERECTED TO THE MEMORY OF THE LATE HENRY WILSON OF WESTBROOK AND HIS SON ALFRED BY E.H.THOMPSON AND L.E.HARLAND, DAUGHTERS OF THE..." and I couldn't read the rest without trespassing!

Henry Wilson (of Westbrook Snuff Mills) died 16th November 1880. His son Alfred died in October 1890.

Alfred's sister Louise Ellen married A.A. Harland, who was the vicar of Harefield, Uxbridge. Alfred's sister Elizabeth married W.Thompson.

The Thompson and Harland on the trough were daughters of the elder Mr Wilson

Maybe the one from Hunter's Bar - just up the road from the Westbrook Mill?

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s17488&prevUrl=