Horse Troughs

ukelele lady

Remember the large horse trough [ I don't ] that used to be in Fitzalan Square?

I read in the My Kind of Town book that it is situated in the Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet.

Has anyone seen it? It seems remarkable that it has been "lost " for over 80 years

and was found in the undergrowth at the Hamlet.

Who knows where it has been in the between years.

Made by the North of Scotland Granite Company of red Peterhead granite.

It is now restored and polished to its former self albeit eight new legs had to

be made.

This must be worth a visit to see.

Well done to Pete Smith RSPCA trustee and historian for not giving up the

search for one of Sheffields piece of history.

Remember the large horse trough [ I don't ] that used to be in Fitzalan Square?

I read in the My Kind of Town book that it is situated in the Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet.

Has anyone seen it? It seems remarkable that it has been "lost " for over 80 years

and was found in the undergrowth at the Hamlet.

Who knows where it has been in the between years.

Made by the North of Scotland Granite Company of red Peterhead granite.

It is now restored and polished to its former self albeit eight new legs had to

be made.

This must be worth a visit to see.

Well done to Pete Smith RSPCA trustee and historian for not giving up the

search for one of Sheffields piece of history.

Supposedly the trough was moved to Barkers Pool in 1912, with the War Memorial being built there in 1925 and the

City Hall in 1932, it was moved again but from then on there seems no record of its fate.

Page 18, here.

Some photographs of the trough can be seen here

A couple of images on picturesheffield,

Barkers Pool (no date)

Barkers Pool 1923

Is it the same horse trough ?

It doesn't look the same does it Steve.

It does however look like what I "though I remembered" being at the bottom of Granville Road in the 50's when there was just a roundabout there.

Whether there was such a trough there is, of course, in doubt.

It doesn't look the same does it Steve. It does however look like what I "though I remembered" being at the bottom of Granville Road in the 50's when there was just a roundabout there. Whether there was such a trough there is, of course, in doubt.

Fitzalan Square, 1903.

Bottom of Granville Road 1923, this trough is also marked on a1954 map, Tr = trough.

Bottom of Granville Road 1923, this trough is also marked on a1954 map, Tr = trough.

At least I now know that there was one there. (and exactly where I thought it was)

I mentioned it on here ages ago relating to something else but no-one remembered it.

I'd almost decided that I must have imagined it. :)

At least I now know that there was one there. (and exactly where I thought it was)

I mentioned it on here ages ago relating to something else but no-one remembered it.

I'd almost decided that I must have imagined it. :)

Maybe a statue of a bloke on horseback will turn up in some undergrowth one day.

:P

Maybe a statue of a bloke on horseback will turn up in some undergrowth one day.

:P

Ha-Ha - You won't be laughing when it does will you ? lol

This horse trough has given me renewed hope. :rolleyes: lol

At least I now know that there was one there.

Going back to the mid 50s there must have been at least half a dozen or so large horse troughs left dotted in and around Sheffield. They came in very handy whilst out cycling for finding punctures. The ones I remember were at the bottom of Chatham Street, London Road [opposite Valley Road] and one somewhere near Spital Hill. W/E.

Going back to the mid 50s there must have been at least half a dozen or so large horse troughs left dotted in and around Sheffield. They came in very handy whilst out cycling for finding punctures. The ones I remember were at the bottom of Chatham Street, London Road [opposite Valley Road] and one somewhere near Spital Hill. W/E.

New Topic created.

The Jeffcock Drinking Fountain and Water Trough can still be found at Handsworth, though I seem to recall that it was relocated a few years ago. Is this the only one still in its' original location, [well close to], do you think?

I can remember the trough in Fitzalan square but fail to see how it could be the same one that was lost for 80 years as I am not that old!! I can remember it being there in the 50s. The Jeffcock one is only moved a few yards away to the other side of Richmond road at Handsworth I can remember a car running into it many years ago.

I can remember the trough in Fitzalan square but fail to see how it could be the same one that was lost for 80 years as I am not that old!! I can remember it being there in the 50s. The Jeffcock one is only moved a few yards away to the other side of Richmond road at Handsworth I can remember a car running into it many years ago.

No it doesn't seem to add up does it ? But that is what is reported, 8 decades.

Now the question is , when did it actually move from Fitzalan Square?

There used to be a horse trough in a field up near mayfield valley, i think this one had been removed from the city centre some time ago. Just looked on picture sheffield and it is shown as the original trough from Hunters Bar.

picturesheffield t02239

There used to be a horse trough in a field up near mayfield valley, i think this one had been removed from the city centre some time ago. Just looked on picture sheffield and it is shown as the original trough from Hunters Bar.

https://www.hpacde.o...jpgh/t02239.jpg

It's till around, in safekeeping by one of the local farmers.

https://www.hpacde.o...jpgh/t02239.jpg

To me, that looks like the one that turned up at Abbeydale Hamlet.

When did it "leave it's field" so to speak ?

The Jeffcock one is only moved a few yards away to the other side of Richmond road at Handsworth I can remember a car running into it many years ago.

I think that you have jogged my own memory. I now seem to have a mental image of it sitting across from the top of Laverack Street.

To me, that looks like the one that turned up at Abbeydale Hamlet.

When did it "leave it's field" so to speak ?

I haven't been to the Hamlet for a while so I can't say, but it's quite possible. It's quite a few years since it left the field, and I understand it was in a barn or shed on one of the farms. It wouldn't be much use to the owner there, so perhaps they were glad if it found a new home?

There used to be a large horse trough at the bottom of Loxley New Road outside the butchers shop of Mr. Bottom. Nowadays the Malin Bridge Tram Terminus stands on the spot. It was a very plain stone structure and Mr. Bottom used to fill a bucket from it to wash all the sawdust that had trodden out of his shop, off the pavement.

As a young lad walking down from the chip shop at Malin Bridge I decided to skim my empty chip paper along the surface of the water. I had no sooner let go of the paper then I felt a MASSIVE blow on the back of my neck and I was sprawling on the pavement. A gigantic police sargeant had walked up behind me and clipped me. I didn't do that again. I hadn't intended to leave the paper in the trough (I was big on Keep Britain Tidy at the time) but my explanation fell on deaf ears.

HD

They look very similar but perhaps not the same.

Has the one in the field got 10 legs ?

I am sure the one in the field was a kidney shape. the one at abbeydale had straight sides and curved ends

I am sure the one in the field was a kidney shape. the one at abbeydale had straight sides and curved ends

That's my recollection as well Sando.