Look-Up Please Anyone?

Bayleaf

Is that the 1988 Olympics ceremony .. <_<

Classical Dance performed at the garden party, Convent High School, 152 Burngreave Road, Circa 1930..

1911 Census. Nothing for 1881 or 1901. 1 Lescar Lane.

From Chris Hobbs site mentions that our very own Arnold Loosemore VC enlisted at 1 Lescar Lane, that must be his family.

From Chris Hobbs site mentions that our very own Arnold Loosemore VC enlisted at 1 Lescar Lane, that must be his family.

Brilliant Richard! That was going to be my next question! Although he lived at Stannington, Arnold is buried in a family grave in Ecclesall churchyard, so I wondered if it was more than a co-incidence when the name came up yesterday.

Unusual shutters to the right ... was thisa normal design in sheffield ?

Could this be a rack for the display of newspapers ? It looks a bit narrow to span half a normal sized window.

HD

Has anyone given thought to the fact it does say 'LASCAR' on the photograph and not 'LESCAR'?

Has a Lascar Lane ever existed, or are we confident this is simply a spelling error on whoever wrote the title?

There is no way of trying to match up the buildings to anything on Lescar Lane as this area is now a car park, as I am sure most of you know

Dan

This tiny snip is the corner of Lescar Lane and Sharrow vale Road, so if we are indeed talking about Lescar and not Lascar, then the corner building is number 1. and the photo was probably taken in the yard behind.

Lescar Pub set back and out of sight

OS map 228

Has anyone given thought to the fact it does say 'LASCAR' on the photograph and not 'LESCAR'?

Has a Lascar Lane ever existed, or are we confident this is simply a spelling error on whoever wrote the title?

There is no way of trying to match up the buildings to anything on Lescar Lane as this area is now a car park, as I am sure most of you know

Dan

Point taken Danny. However the family to whom the albums belong are from the Nether Edge/Sharrow area, so I thought it was a safe bet to amend it to 'Lescar'.

This tiny snip is the corner of Lescar Lane and Sharrow vale Road, so if we are indeed talking about Lescar and not Lascar, then the corner building is number 1. and the photo was probably taken in the yard behind.

Lescar Pub set back and out of sight

OS map 228

Very helpful vox. Just one thought, if it was taken in the yard behind would there have been boards on the wall for posters?

The outside ground level also appears to be falling from right to left, which given the position of the building would indicate it's facing onto the Lane?

Point taken Danny. However the family to whom the albums belong are from the Nether Edge/Sharrow area, so I thought it was a safe bet to amend it to 'Lescar'.

Fair enough, that makes sense.

Quite annoyingly there are no pictures of Lescar Lane on PS either.

Very helpful vox. Just one thought, if it was taken in the yard behind would there have been boards on the wall for posters?

The outside ground level also appears to be falling from right to left, which given the position of the building would indicate it's facing onto the Lane?

I'm going to struggle to explain my reasoning here but : :wacko:

Firstly the ground is virtually flat at the bottom of the lane so no massive level differences..

2nd, The yard would have to have some sort of slope away from the building, and the ground level in the yard would have been very slightly higher at the rear than on Sharrowvale Road. That would necessitate a slope either to the centre of the yard or, quite possibly, a backwards slope (right to left), towards the entrance and road. A slope towards the entrance (following the blue arrow) would explain the apparent anomaly.

Equally the photo could be taken from the end of the building (red arrow.)

Point taken vox. And if the doorway in the photo was on the end of the building then it would be visible from the lane, hence the posters.