Look-Up Please Anyone?

Bayleaf

A friend has loaned me some old photo albums that have been in his family since around 1900. Most of the photos date from then and a bit later. One photo is of a lady standing in a doorway, and is simply titled 1 Lescar Lane. Looking at the photo it looks as if it was some kind of shop, there are hoops on the wall outside, and what look like skipping ropes hanging up inside. Anyone identify the lady or the place?

1 Lescar Lane was on a corner.

link to 1950's OS

Beat me to it, that woman is badly in need of some bristles on her brush and if she's wearing it out unevenly like that she needs to see a doctor. :mellow:

HD

The cat was called Bertie ... probably ...

Now, would that be named after the King (Edward VII), officially called Edward but known as Bertie to his mum, Queen Victoria, or, is it named after Queen Victorias nearest and dearest long departed husband that she mourned for the rest of her life?

Sorry, spelling mistake it was Tiddles.

Now, would that be named after the King (Edward VII), officially called Edward but known as Bertie to his mum, Queen Victoria, or, is it named after Queen Victorias nearest and dearest long departed husband that she mourned for the rest of her life?

Any photo-person able to help with the image please ?

It would be nice to get detail back into that sign to the left of the doorway but it appears to be "burnt out" (overexposed) ans so lacks the detail we could use.

The bottom bit clearly says WEEKLY T******* something or other.

Very much looking forward to more photos from the albums - toy shops ? hoops ? the brush with uneven wear - not sure "Tiddles" helps us much - looking like something from Oz ... if "we" can solve it - then perfect, if not, then a most interesting poser and all the more welcome for it. More please from anyone, we'll try our best and admit honest defeat if it beats us.

A friend has loaned me some old photo albums that have been in his family since around 1900. Most of the photos date from then and a bit later. One photo is of a lady standing in a doorway, and is simply titled 1 Lescar Lane. Looking at the photo it looks as if it was some kind of shop, there are hoops on the wall outside, and what look like skipping ropes hanging up inside. Anyone identify the lady or the place?

That's no "fly-posting" but a regular place for posting up information, hence the backboard.

It would be nice to get detail back into that sign to the left of the doorway but it appears to be "burnt out" (overexposed) ans so lacks the detail we could use. The bottom bit clearly says WEEKLY T******* something or other.

Brick built, newly built ? or freshly pointed ?

Unusual shutters to the right ... was thisa normal design in sheffield ? Back door to somewhere ? Theatre/Entertainment ?? What are the kids doing ? Mimicing ? All "kust a thought".

Hint a tthe left of another sign.

George Elston Toy dealer 414 Sharrow Vale Road White's 1919

George Elston Toy dealer 414 Sharrow Vale Rd. Kelly's 1925

Just for information.

Sadly i can not confirm the cats name but i can confirm it was a Newsagent.

1891 Census.

You lillte beauty !

Samuel Pass, Newsagent Lescar Lane, Sharrow Vale Road Kelly's 1893

1891 Census.

Samuel Pass, Newsagent 247 Sharrow Vale Road White's 1911

1891 Census.

A fine answer, a newsagent, with advertisements outside and selling toys and hoops as a sideline. It sounds good until we get a better answer.

Weekly Telegraph?

Also the Name David ******* is in the top righthand corner.

Hard to tell because of the jpeg compression artifacts.

Weekly Telegraph?

Also the Name David ******* is in the top righthand corner.

Hard to tell because of the jpeg compression artifacts.

Just a suggestion.

The things hanging inside the doorway remind of something I have seen before,

could be related to plaiting or braiding fabric, the hoops on the wall could be tapestry frames.

Carole King would be proud ...

Just a suggestion.

could be related to plaiting or braiding fabric, the hoops on the wall could be tapestry frames.

Just a suggestion.

Or they maybe just Hoops for varius size Children.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=y02391&prevUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOUhvb3BzJTI4JTI0JTdDKyUyQiUyOSZhY3Rpb249c2VhcmNo

Carole King would be proud ...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tiQshgKO6Co" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>