How Many Different Workhouses Were There ?

RichardB

Westbar

Joseph Staniland, Overseer of the Workhouse, Westbar, 1787

George Marriott, Govenor of the Workhouse, West Bar, 1822

---------------------

Sheffield workhouse

John Rippon, Governor of Sheffield Workhouse, Kelham Street 1833

Sarah Machin, Matron, Sheffield Workhouse, Kelham Street 1833

James Cooper Governor, Workhouse, Kelham Street 1841

Ann Wright Matron, Workhouse, Kelham Street 1841

Samuel Rogers, Master of Sheffield Union Workhouse, Kelham Street 1849

Mrs Mary Rogers, Matron of Sheffield Union Workhouse, Kelham Street 1849

Sarah Barker, Workhouse schoolmistress, Kelham Street 1849

Mr Samuel Rogers, Master of Sheffield Union workhouse, Kelham Street 1852

Mrs Mary Rogers, Matron of Sheffield Union Workhouse, Kelham Street 1852

Kelham Street/Alma Street/Old Cotton Mill

---------------------

Firvale/Sheffield Union workhouse

aka Barnsley Road and infamously "2 Herries Road"

Fir Vale or Sheffield Union Workhouse known by many names was opened in 1878 and also included the Smilter Lane/Herries Rd. Children's Homes.

In an attempt to help aged couples, over the ages of 60 years and of good character, who had resided in the Union for a period of not less than 20 years, and who wished to live together, the Guardians had built, eight one-roomed homes. They were built on land belonging to the Guardians facing Smilter Lane and were known as Fir Vale Cottages (later known as Sistholme).

All workhouses stopped operating as such in 1930 but still had many of what would be called social cases nowadays residing there.

1878 Foundation stone laid by Ald. Richard Searle
1880 Finished and put into immediate use
1881 Formal Opening

1882 Training school for nurses established

1887 Midwifery School established – training for the Certificate of the Obstetrical Association

1894 Smilter Lane Children's Homes opened

1906 became the Fir Vale Institution & Sheffield Union Hospital

1930 Board of Guardians abolished, became the Fir Vale Infirmary & City General Hospital

1967 became the Northern General Hospital

Edwin Waters, Master Sheffield Union Workhouse, Fir Vale, Barnsley Road 1893

Mrs Annie Ward, Matron Sheffield Union Workhouse, Fir Vale, Barnsley Road 1893

Louis Owen, Medical Officer, Sheffield Union Workhouse Hospital, Fir Vale, Pitsmoor 1893

William Cook, Master, Workhouse, Barnsley Road 1911

Mrs Clara Cook, Matron, Workhouse, Barnsley Road 1911

Algar Allen Sinclair, Labour master, Firvale Workhouse, h. 28 Wade Street 1911

---------------------

Grenoside (Wortley Union)

Grenoside (Wortley Union) was originally at Ecclesfield in the Foeffes Hall.

This building served as the village workhouse until the Grenoside Union Workhouse was built in 1852. It was then used as a school until the Board School opened in 1894. The hall became the Parish Council offices and finally the premises of the British Legion until demolition in the late 1960s.

Part of the old workhouse at Grenoside on Salt Box Lane still stands but is now known as the Grenoside Grange.

Charles Price, Governor, Wortley Union Workhouse, Grenoside 1893

Mrs Emma M Wood, Matron, Wortley Union Workhouse, Grenoside 1893

Robert Sime,Surgeon, Wortley Union Workhouse, Grenoside 1893

---------------------

Brightside Bierlow workhouse

Rock Street

George Sykes, Governor of Brightside Bierlow Workhouse and acting overseer, Rock Street 1833

---------------------

Crooks Moor workhouse/Nether Hallam workhouse

John Kinder, Master of Nether Hallam Workhouse, Nether Hallam 1822

John Kinder, Governor of Nether Hallam Workhouse, Crooks Moor 1833

John Kinder, Governor, Workhouse, Crookes Moor 1841

Ann Kinder, Matron, Workhouse, Crookes Moor 1841

---------------------

Ecclesall Workhouse - Union Road

James Walton, Master of Workhouse, Ecclesall Bierlow Union, Union Road 1893

Mrs Mary Walton, Matron of Workhouse, Ecclesall Bierlow Union, Union Road 1893

Grenoside (Wortley Union) was originally at Ecclesfield in the Foeffes Hall -

This building served as the village workhouse until the Grenoside Union Workhouse was built in 1852. It was then used as a school until the Board School opened in 1894. The hall became the Parish Council offices and finally the premises of the British Legion until demolition in the late 1960s.

Part of the old workhouse at Grenoside on Salt Box Lane still stands but is now known as the Grenoside Grange.

Fir Vale or Sheffield Union Workhouse known by many names was opened in 1878 and also included the Smilter Lane/Herries Rd. Children's Homes. In an attempt to help aged couples, over the ages of 60 years and of good character, who had resided in the Union for a period of not less than 20 years, and who wished to live together, the Guardians had built, eight one- roomed homes. They were built on land belonging to the Guardians facing Smilter Lane and were known as Fir Vale Cottages (later known as Sistholme).

All workhouses stopped operating as such in 1930 but still had many of what would be called social cases nowadays residing there.

1881 Formal Opening

1887 Midwifery School established – training for the Certificate of the Obstetrical Association

1930 Board of Guardians abolished, became the Fir Vale Infirmary & City General Hospital

www.workhouses.org.uk is the best site for fuller information.

Lyn

Thank you Lyn, I've updated my list (above) and will continue to do so, until eack breaks off into its own area, or, more likely somebody remembers we've done this to death already somewhere else.

Grenoside (Wortley Union) was originally at Ecclesfield in the Foeffes Hall -

Fir Vale or Sheffield Union Workhouse known by many names was opened in 1878 and also included the Smilter Lane/Herries Rd. Children's Homes. In an attempt to help aged couples, over the ages of 60 years and of good character, who had resided in the Union for a period of not less than 20 years, and who wished to live together, the Guardians had built, eight one- roomed homes. They were built on land belonging to the Guardians facing Smilter Lane and were known as Fir Vale Cottages (later known as Sistholme).

1881 Formal Opening

www.workhouses.org.uk is the best site for fuller information.

Lyn

On documents I have of ancesters dying in the workhouse I have the address as 2 Herries Road

and on two death certificates I have 12 Herries Road Union Hospital , that was in 1906.

After the workhouses and hospitals there is always the UD printed, I assume the U is for Union but

what does the D stand for?

Guest binsted71

On documents I have of ancesters dying in the workhouse I have the address as 2 Herries Road

and on two death certificates I have 12 Herries Road Union Hospital , that was in 1906.

After the workhouses and hospitals there is always the UD printed, I assume the U is for Union but

what does the D stand for?

I always thought that U.D. stood for Urban District.

High up the Porter/Mayfield Valley stands a row of cottages called the Workhouse Cottages. As far as I can discover these housed inmates from the Ecclesall Bierlow Workhouse who collected fruit etc from the fields and hedgerows to be sent to the Workhouse proper and grew produce in the small gardens adjacent.

Workhouse cottages from Mayfield Rd

Workhouse cottages centre of pic. (Mayfield Environmental Centre at top)

Paid a visit to "Mayfield" in the late 60's - was it that place ?

Workhouse cottages centre of pic. (Mayfield Environmental Centre at top)

Saw this book in WH Smith at the weekend - should be of interest!

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/margaret+drinkall/sheffield+workhouse/7965730/