Nostalgia

Guest ianb

I left Sheffield in 1969 when I was 22 and briefly visited again in 1974 with my South African wife. Winter of discontent I think it was called and what a miserable time we had. It was Christmas, the Miners, Railway workers and even the Breweries were on strike! My wife caught flu within days and without my friends, I would have cursed Sheffield but as I say, my friends made it worthwhile coming all the way from South Africa.

Unfortunately, my wife died a few years ago and I subsequently remarried. Again it was a South African lady and her son has been living in London for a number of years. She visited the UK a couple of years ago to see her son and also visited my brother who now lives in Sherburn-in -Elmete. I asked him to show her around the area where I lived and was my stamping ground. He took her around the Brushes Estate, Firth Park, Fox House and surrounding areas. My brother was less than impressed (he hadn't been there in years) and the photos that they took were a bit of a let down. I suppose that places change, a pity it is not for the better.

I wonder if anyone has a clue to my identity, if you want to try to guess, I will give a few clues. I used to be part time "pin jockey" at the Bowling Alley whilst I was doing my apprenticeship for the GPO. I was a founder member of Quadrant FC based at the Bowling Alley. Bellhouse Road, Page Hall and Pitsmoor Working Men's Clubs were where we used to "hang out"

I hope somebody out there recognises me because I never hear of anyone on Facebook from the "old times"

Cheers and have a great Christmas.

Welcome to Sheffield History IanB.

I am glad you are enjoying the posts on the site and thank you for making interesting posts yourself.

I have no idea who you are, a bit before my time and wrong side of town, but I am sure someone on here will know you.

Then again, nostalgia isn't what it used to be is it? <_<

Welcome to Sheffield History IanB.

I am glad you are enjoying the posts on the site and thank you for making interesting posts yourself.

I have no idea who you are, a bit before my time and wrong side of town, but I am sure someone on here will know you.

Then again, nostalgia isn't what it used to be is it? <_<

Or should that be 'Welcome Back'? I hope password troubles haven't kept you away for long? In my case just slightly early, but the right end of town(ish). Still no idea who you are though, sorry!

Or should that be 'Welcome Back'? I hope password troubles haven't kept you away for long? In my case just slightly early, but the right end of town(ish). Still no idea who you are though, sorry!

OK Bayleaf, IanB is starting to give us a few clues to his identity.

Another topic on this site reveals he has a connection with Firth Park Grammar School.

As you went to Firth Park and I din't I'll leave you to do the guessing.

Sorry I have been "off the air" for a while but I have been extremely busy and I just don't get the time to sit down and trawl the Net.

My name is Ian Barnard and I used to live at 191 Horninglow Road. My brother Grenvil used to go to Firth Park Grammar School when the friendly caring R.C. Chapman was Headmaster. My brother still has he scars of his caring!!

Hope there is someone out there who remembers me.

I grew up on Downham Road. I attended both Hucklow Road Junior School and FPGS. I well remember Dr. W R C Chapman or "Arsie" as he was known to everyone not in his earshot. I am a few years older than you and .sadly, cannot remember you or the family name...But nice to come across another S5 lad...of an age when living there was more pleasurable and safer than one suspects it is today!