Spot The Ball

RichardB

If we can get a few we might be able to work out where the ball was ...

Are we talking about the weekly "Spot The Ball" quiz that used to be in the Green 'Un?

Yes, hopefully some folks have some old copies of papers.

Are we talking about the weekly "Spot The Ball" quiz that used to be in the Green 'Un?

Yes, hopefully some folks have some old copies of papers.

Won't we need the answer to go with it as well so that we know where the ball was?

That is, - if we are going to reuse them as some sort of spot the ball quiz

My grandad was an avid Littlewood Pools and Green Un spot the ball fan.

Every Saturday night he would wait for the classified resultson TV to check the scores, his points and his pools coupon.

After tea he would send me up the street to the newsagents to get his Green 'Un to read and do the spot the ball.

My cousin (so his grandson) got a job working for the Telegraph & Star at one point and grandad was not amused that the spot the ball rules prevented any employees of Sheffield Newspapers, AND THEIR FAMILIES could not take part in the competition.

Don't think it stopped him having a go though.

Never won anything on spot the ball, but won enough on the pools to buy his first colour TV.

My grandad was an avid Littlewood Pools and Green Un spot the ball fan.

Every Saturday night he would wait for the classified resultson TV to check the scores, his points and his pools coupon.

After tea he would send me up the street to the newsagents to get his Green 'Un to read and do the spot the ball.

My cousin (so his grandson) got a job working for the Telegraph & Star at one point and grandad was not amused that the spot the ball rules prevented any employees of Sheffield Newspapers, AND THEIR FAMILIES could not take part in the competition.

Don't think it stopped him having a go though.

Never won anything on spot the ball, but won enough on the pools to buy his first colour TV.

My dad reckoned you did spot the ball with a pin and listened carefully for the ball popping, strange what parents tell their children

My dad reckoned you did spot the ball with a pin and listened carefully for the ball popping, strange what parents tell their children

They can't have been easy to judge and I have no idea how they chose the winner.

The photo was fairly small and would have been low quality, being a black dot matrix on low quality newsprint paper, and to top it off that was coloured green.

How precise did your cross have to be with the ball?

The cross lines themselves would easily have been 0.1 mm thick, thicker if you used a crayon or a felt tip marker (I think that broke the rules though and your entry was thrown in the bin).

Then how did they allign the cut out / torn out entry form pictures accurately with their master copy which had the ball on it so that they could see if you had won?

I suspect that it wasn't a real contest to get closest to the ball at all, but was judged against some so called "expert" who decided where the ball was and whose entry was best.

Guest Alanpban

My dad won the littlewoods pools way back yonder and frozen to death, he got us all sat round when he opened the letter, and you should have seen his face when he pulled a cheque out for two and a half pence....classic.. lol ...Al

My dad won the littlewoods pools way back yonder and frozen to death, he got us all sat round when he opened the letter, and you should have seen his face when he pulled a cheque out for two and a half pence....classic.. lol ...Al

My Dad won a couple of years ago and chose to treble up any winnings which came to £18 instead of £6!

Would that two and a half pence pence have been 6d in the old money at the time?

If so, then depending on the year and the number of lines (goes) he had on the pools it effectively means he only won his stake back.

My Dad won a couple of years ago and chose to treble up any winnings which came to £18 instead of £6!

My dad won £3000 in 1977, got him a new TV, a change of car and a few decent holidays.

Guest Alanpban

Would that two and a half pence pence have been 6d in the old money at the time?

If so, then depending on the year and the number of lines (goes) he had on the pools it effectively means he only won his stake back.

Who knows the secret of the black magic box mate...Al

I'd love to see the cheque.

Guest Alanpban

I'd love to see the cheque.

A long time ago now Rich, lots of water under the bridge so to speak, and sadly the old boy is no longer with us, i know he said he would never cash it, but what happened to it i can't say. Hey get this....crimbo eve this year i got a tax refund,,,only thing is, it's for the exact same amount that they demanded and I paid a couple of months ago...makes you wonder eh?...Al