Fraudulent Sheffield Member

GillMar

I thought it was Bayleaf ^_^

We were all in it together, it was a conspiracy.

If we get caught for it, charged and convicted we will be deported to the colonies for it and we will have to live in Tasmania.

...then Thylacine won't be our most distant member any more!

We were all in it together, it was a conspiracy.

If we get caught for it, charged and convicted we will be deported to the colonies for it and we will have to live in Tasmania.

...then Thylacine won't be our most distant member any more!

They've closed the borders, the only people arriving by boat are wealthy cruise ship passengers and asylum seekers.

It would be nice to have a few more Tykes here, real Sheffielders are a scarce commodity, I can count the ones I know on one hand.

So Sheffield History fills a MASSIVE void for me. Thanks to everyone who is interested enough in Sheffield to be a part of it.

They've closed the borders, the only people arriving by boat are wealthy cruise ship passengers and asylum seekers.

Hmmm....

I don't think deported criminals being deported on convict ships to a life of servitude "in the colonies" fit into that category any more then do they. <_<

Perhaps they would just send us to overcrowded prisons in Britain then :o

At first glance I thought it said "flatulent" - now I'm a fully paid up member of that gang ....

I can't reply for laughing and letting out the flatulence!!!

Thank you all for the very nice posts.

One "lil old Cheshire Cat" is purring very contentedly, flat cap or not!!

You're a grand lot!!

Hmmm....

I don't think deported criminals being deported on convict ships to a life of servitude "in the colonies" fit into that category any more then do they. <_<

Perhaps they would just send us to overcrowded prisons in Britain then :o

I seem to remember some years ago when prison overcrowding first got to crisis point the government hired some 'prison ships' to house the overspill. I don't know if they've still got them, but we could see 'prison hulks' on the Thames again. (But not during the Olympics of course!)

I seem to remember some years ago when prison overcrowding first got to crisis point the government hired some 'prison ships' to house the overspill. I don't know if they've still got them, but we could see 'prison hulks' on the Thames again. (But not during the Olympics of course!)

I went on holiday to Weymouth in Dorset in the mid 1990's and we spent a fair bit of time on Portland. At the time Portland had 4 prisons.

HMP Portland, a secure prison unit

A "Young Offenders Centre"

A disused prision cut into some cliff faces on the north of the island facing Weymouth across Portland Harbour

A "prison ship" moored up in Portland harbour.

I wouldn't like to say how many of these were actually in use at the time and how many were just disused relics.

Don't believe everything you read on a website, most of it is a load of made up rubbish.

Someone on Sheffield History tried to tell me that the Peace Gardens were named after that famous Sheffield murderer Charlie Peace :P

Are you suggesting otherwise Dave? (I would have inserted a 'smilie' at this point but there isn't one for ' shocked and scandalised :o )

Are you suggesting otherwise Dave? (I would have inserted a 'smilie' at this point but there isn't one for ' shocked and scandalised :o )

Do you mean it is named after a famous Sheffield murderer :o

In that case there is a malicious rumour going around that I have heard that it was named after the war in a hope of lasting peace :mellow:

Do you mean it is named after a famous Sheffield murderer :o

In that case there is a malicious rumour going around that I have heard that it was named after the war in a hope of lasting peace :mellow:

Not to worry Dave, many people have fallen victim to that misunderstanding over the years, but the truth will always out eventually. ;-)

Not to worry Dave, many people have fallen victim to that misunderstanding over the years, but the truth will always out eventually. ;-)

Thanks Bayleaf,

I have also heard that the Peace Gardens were named after Charlie Peace as the actual gallows on which he was hung for murder were set up on that site to give the Town Hall officials a good view of the proceedings from their office windows.

I suppose that is true as well.

Thanks Bayleaf,

I have also heard that the Peace Gardens were named after Charlie Peace as the actual gallows on which he was hung for murder were set up on that site to give the Town Hall officials a good view of the proceedings from their office windows.

I suppose that is true as well.

Not sure, but give it time and it will be!