Fraudulent Sheffield Member

GillMar

I must start off by saying that I really enoy reading the posts on this forum.

My only "regret" is, that my ancestors first originated from Germany and settled in Rotherham, Bradford, Sheffield, etc. The regret manifests its origin in that I have never visited Sheffield and surroundings although I have many German ancestors who settled there.

I do have "half-relations" from my great grandmother's marriage to an English man, named Robert Wallis after the death of her first husband, Hermann Pfisterer in 1875.

Robert Wallis was born 1853 in Lincolnshire and his one year older sister, Mary Jane, married William Fletcher (informant at the death of my great grandmother in 1893, registered in Doncaster.)

Their son, William Wallace Fletcher was a teacher at various Sheffield schools.

They lived in Swinton, Yorkshire.

My "Step- Great Aunt", Emily Jane Wallis attended the Mexborough Board School. I have a certificate confirming her attendance.

Interested Members, from anywhere are most welcome, some of us "heavy-limbed sons of Sheffield" havebeen away so long we hardly qualify - other than the interest bit (and you canremove "limbed" from my description too ! he he

Where does that phrase come from ? or did I make it up ? Or is it "of Yorkshire" ?

My only "regret" is, that my ancestors first originated from Germany and settled in Rotherham, Bradford, Sheffield, etc. The regret manifests its origin in that I have never visited Sheffield and surroundings although I have many German ancestors who settled there.

I do have "half-relations" from my great grandmother's marriage to an English man, named Robert Wallis after the death of her first husband, Hermann Pfisterer in 1875.

Robert Wallis was born 1853 in Lincolnshire and his one year older sister, Mary Jane, married William Fletcher (informant at the death of my great grandmother in 1893, registered in Doncaster.)

My "Step- Great Aunt", Emily Jane Wallis attended the Mexborough Board School. I have a certificate confirming her attendance.

My maternal grandmother was named Caroline Wallis, but unfortunately I have no information of her parents or other history. The only info I do have is that she died relatively young, (38) in 1924, and is buried in City Rd. Cemetery.

Something was lost in translation there. My reply didn`t show.

I did write that my maternal grandmother was named Caroline Wallis. Born in 1886, but

other than that she died in 1924 and is buried in City Rd. Cemetary, I have no history of her prior to marrying my grandad.

Can I suggest conferring on Gillmar an honorary citizenship? Compared with some incomers, your qualifications are impeccable!

To confirm your status however, you are required for the next month to wear a flat cap, eat yorkshire pudding daily as a seperate course, and preface every statement with 'By 'Eck...'

Welcome to the fold. ;-)

Can I suggest conferring on Gillmar an honorary citizenship? Compared with some incomers, your qualifications are impeccable! To confirm your status however, you are required for the next month to wear a flat cap, eat yorkshire pudding daily as a seperate course, and preface every statement with 'By 'Eck...' Welcome to the fold. ;-)

Ey up, hang on a minute Bayleaf. She listed 'dog sports' as one of her interests - I wanna know if thats whippet racing.

Ey up, hang on a minute Bayleaf. She listed 'dog sports' as one of her interests - I wanna know if thats whippet racing.

You mean there's another kind? :o

You mean there's another kind? :o

So Gilmar is made an "Honorary Sheffielder" I'll second that proposal

Can we give Thylacine an award for our most distant member, or can another member take away that honour.

So Gilmar is made an "Honorary Sheffielder" I'll second that proposal

Can we give Thylacine an award for our most distant member, or can another member take away that honour.

Gilmar has been a member for some time now and all of her posts have been very interesting contributions to the site.

As Richard said, anyone from anywhere with an interest in Sheffield is welcome.

I don't think I have ever thought of Gilmar as anything other than a valued Sheffield History member, a Pro-Sheffielder as the members making more than a certain number of posts are known.

Of course Gilmar is an honourary Sheffielder.

Thylacine isn't an honourary Sheffielder though, - he's a born and bred Sheffielder, - like Richard he just happens to live "quite a way out of town"

For those "born and bred" it's in the heart; for anyone else with ancestors or a passing interest because they live in Sheffield - we hope the Site is of interest and you are no-less Sheffielders than the rest of us - it's the interest and input that matters. I only lived in Sheffield for just over 19 years - doesn't much matter, it's the interest that counts.

Thylacine isn't an honourary Sheffielder though, - he's a born and bred Sheffielder, - like Richard he just happens to live "quite a way out of town"

Thats why I suggested Thylacine as our most distant member

A few years ago we adopted a penguin but she's in Chester Zoo so I suppose that doesn't count? ;-)

I once P-P-P-Picked up a penguin, but it turned out it was just a chocolate biscuit! lol

Thats why I suggested Thylacine as our most distant member

If Sheffielder Helen Sharman was to join our list of members wouldn't she become our most distant (or at least most travelled) member what with being an astronaut and all that.

Failing that then it has to be Thylacine (unless we have anyone in New Zealand) as we once established how far he lived from Sheffields exact antipodal point in another topic somewhere on here.

If Sheffielder Helen Sharman was to join our list of members wouldn't she become our most distant (or at least most travelled) member what with being an astronaut and all that.

Failing that then it has to be Thylacine (unless we have anyone in New Zealand) as we once established how far he lived from Sheffields exact antipodal point in another topic somewhere on here.

Right New Zealand might steal it (if we have any members living there)

Lodon to Hobart 10809 miles

London to Christchurch 11786

plus 160 miles Sheffield to London

Right New Zealand might steal it (if we have any members living there)

Lodon to Hobart 10809 miles

London to Christchurch 11786

plus 160 miles Sheffield to London

Are these travelling distances or are they Great Circle shortest distances.

If they are travelling distances they do depend on a route, - which will not be the most direct.

If they are Great Circle distances (shortest distance between any 2 points on sphere) then you can't just add on the extra 160 miles like that, you need to recalculate it using exact latitude and longitude of the 2 points (ie, one of them will be Sheffield co-ordinates and not London). If you were going north instead of south I suppose you would want to take the 160 miles off instead of add it on, and if you were going due east or west I suppose you wouldn't bother.

But anyone who had Man Rosenberg for CSE maths would know that this is a non Euclidean spherical geometry problem and is best done using properly calculated great circle distances between clearly defined points.

Besides, anyone who had Man Gill for CSE Geography just knows that Christchurch, NZ is further away than Hobart, Tasmania ;-)

Are these travelling distances or are they Great Circle shortest distances.

If they are travelling distances they do depend on a route, - which will not be the most direct.

If they are Great Circle distances (shortest distance between any 2 points on sphere) then you can't just add on the extra 160 miles like that, you need to recalculate it using exact latitude and longitude of the 2 points (ie, one of them will be Sheffield co-ordinates and not London). If you were going north instead of south I suppose you would want to take the 160 miles off instead of add it on, and if you were going due east or west I suppose you wouldn't bother.

But anyone who had Man Rosenberg for CSE maths would know that this is a non Euclidean spherical geometry problem and is best done using properly calculated great circle distances between clearly defined points.

Besides, anyone who had Man Gill for CSE Geography just knows that Christchurch, NZ is further away than Hobart, Tasmania ;-)

Just got it off a website that told you distances from London, did not think that deeply about it.

Just got it off a website that told you distances from London, did not think that deeply about it.

Don't believe everything you read on a website, most of it is a load of made up rubbish.

Someone on Sheffield History tried to tell me that the Peace Gardens were named after that famous Sheffield murderer Charlie Peace :P

Don't believe everything you read on a website, most of it is a load of made up rubbish.

Someone on Sheffield History tried to tell me that the Peace Gardens were named after that famous Sheffield murderer Charlie Peace :P

I thought they were lol