Hallwood Isolation Hospital

KrisBass

Hi

Does anyone have any information about Hallwood Isolation Hospital? its on the A61 just past Grenoside, heading away from Sheffield, set back from the road in the woods (not the Grenoside Hospital on Salt Box Lane). I used to ride in the woods near it when I was a kid, and it was always quite scary, as the trees around it were brown and dead.

So far I have found a photo at Picture Sheffield, and think it is now a private house. I had a walk up the drive a couple of months ago, but it is still surrounded by a very tall wall.

https://www.hpacde.o...jpgh/s23638.jpg

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

The Hospital does not appear on the 1905 map, so it was built later,

it is named as a smallpox hospital on a 1923 map and and in 1956 listed on a map as being under

Wortley Rural District Council.

All it says in the 1965 Kelly's directory is 'Hallwood Hospital, administered from Lodge Moor' ,

Hallwood isolation hospital closed in November 1981, a link here.

Location - link to Flash Earth

From Life in Grenoside Workhouse

'Little is known of Hallwood Isolation Hospital other than the information gleaned from a few old newspaper reports. A report in the Star in 1982 about its closure tells us a something of its past. The hospital was built after a smallpox epidemic in 1887-8 proved that the old hospital in Winter Street could not cope. A temporary hospital was hastily built at Lodge Moor and plans were made for the new hospital at Hallwood. Standing in two acres of land, it opened in 1915 and had provision for 14 beds and five cots and had a decontamination room. There was also a nurses' home on the site along with a house for the caretaker. The number of small pox outbreaks continued to dwindle in Sheffield with 44 cases in 1925 but between 1927 and 1930 there was only 16. In 1929 Hallwood was used as a convalescent home for scarlet fever victims.'

Lyn

SteveHB and Lyn 1 - thanks for the info and links.

RichardB - the spanner in the works is intriguing. I've never heard of Hallwood Hospital being on Bracken Hill before (see SteveHB's post for location). Is it possible it later moved?