Cine Film Viewer

Guest azz

Does anyone know where i can buy a cine film viewer locally.i don't mean a projector.

Hmm..

I think you may be asking 25 years too late.

I bought one in 1982, they since seem to have disappeared into history along with most other cine equipment.

Your best bet would probably be to look for one secondhand.

What type of film do you want to view?

8mm cine film comes in 2 non compatible formats, standard 8 and Super 8 / Single 8 which have different perforation sizes and pitches so you need to get the right one for the type of "8mm film" you have.

16mm cine film is semi professional and the viewers for it are built to a quality that commands professional prices.

9.5mm cine film was never popular in Britain and equipment for it is rare.

My viewer is an ELMO dual standard viewer which can view both types of 8mm film, I also have a sound reader for it which can read the sound track from a magnetic sound stripe.

Good luck in finding one

I agree with DaveH !

Good Luck, please keep us updated with progress - even those of us (i.e. me) that have no idea.

As you know Richard, in the 1970's I did a fair bit of cine work. One of my films made in 1976 was shown on BBC TV in 2010 and is available to view on Sheffield History.

Cine work, buses - it's all Greek to me - areas of huge non-expertise. Still, "The Fog on the Tyne" is all mine, so I'm assured by constant advertising - which is nice ...

As you know Richard, in the 1970's I did a fair bit of cine work. One of my films made in 1976 was shown on BBC TV in 2010 and is available to view on Sheffield History.

Cine work, buses - it's all Greek to me - areas of huge non-expertise.

No, Athens, mythology, 2004 Olympics and skint economies are all Greek to me.

Cine and buses are just a bit nearer home.

Unless you are Cliff Richard and can take a red London bus to Athens!

Gosh ! A member of the 70's "Sheffield Gangs" huh ? lol

<Joking>

As you know Richard, in the 1970's I did a fair bit of crime work. One of my firms was shown on BBC TV in 2010 and is available to view on Sheffield History.

Gosh ! A member of the 70's "Sheffield Gangs" huh ? lol

<Joking>

I've been framed and set up.

Someone has altered my quote from cine to crime :o

I wonder who? :rolleyes:

Does anyone know where i can buy a cine film viewer locally.i don't mean a projector.

For those that don't know (RichardB) a cine film viewer looks like this

and has an film editing purpose rather than a projecting one.

The one in the picture looks very much like my ELMO one.

I got the picture from a site that hires out cine viewers for about £40 a day.

In 1982 I think I bought mine for less than a days hire.

That's a prop from Barbarella surely.

For those that don't know (RichardB) a cine film viewer looks like this

and has an film editing purpose rather than a projecting one.

The one in the picture looks very much like my ELMO one.

I got the picture from a site that hires out cine viewers for about £40 a day.

In 1982 I think I bought mine for less than a days hire.

Creative editing. Titanic Close Encounters of Elm Street (III) is one of mine.

I've been framed and set up.

Someone has altered my quote from cine to crime :o

I wonder who? :rolleyes:

Creative editing. Titanic Close Encounters of Elm Street (III) is one of mine.

With editing skills like that you should be working as a journalist in the tabloid press lol

Just to let you know,got a second hand one off e-bay.Good working condition,£16.50.

Good, glad you managed to get one and that there are still people like me around who can still use such equipment.

Just out of interest, what make / model / film guage is it?

Duran Duran/Jane Fonda/34-22-36 at a guess he he Happy Days.

Good, glad you managed to get one and that there are still people like me around who can still use such equipment.

Just out of interest, what make / model / film guage is it?

Guest wallacestevens

The Yorkshire Film Archive has equipment for viewing films which we are happy for you to use if you are considering donating any films to the Archive for preservation (and possible digital transfer). Naturally we are keen to see any films from Sheffield. The Archive already has a sizeable collection from Sheffield which we hope to be working on in the near future. See our website.

The Yorkshire Film Archive has equipment for viewing films which we are happy for you to use if you are considering donating any films to the Archive for preservation (and possible digital transfer). Naturally we are keen to see any films from Sheffield. The Archive already has a sizeable collection from Sheffield which we hope to be working on in the near future. See our website.

Welcome to SheffieldHistory wallacestevens and thank you for posting.

The Yorkshire film archive looks a very interesting selection, having in it several films by the excellent school film unit at Newfield school Sheffield in the 1970's and one made at Myers Grove school Sheffield made, I think by my old maths teacher Eric Smith who also made a film or 2 at Norfolk school, Sheffield.

Guest wallacestevens

Welcome to SheffieldHistory wallacestevens and thank you for posting.

The Yorkshire film archive looks a very interesting selection, having in it several films by the excellent school film unit at Newfield school Sheffield in the 1970's and one made at Myers Grove school Sheffield made, I think by my old maths teacher Eric Smith who also made a film or 2 at Norfolk school, Sheffield.

Hi Dave

The Yorskhire Film Archive has 7 films donated by Eric Smith. Unfortunatley none of them are as yet available to view online, but hopefully we will be putting one or two live in the not too distant future. To see the titles and viewing notes search for either Eric Smith or Norfolk School. It would be nice to have any stories or information added to the Comments page.

Hi Dave

The Yorskhire Film Archive has 7 films donated by Eric Smith. Unfortunatley none of them are as yet available to view online, but hopefully we will be putting one or two live in the not too distant future. To see the titles and viewing notes search for either Eric Smith or Norfolk School. It would be nice to have any stories or information added to the Comments page.

I have had a look, the search produces more results than are actually relevant to the search criteria (a bit like Ancestry does) but it was good to sift through the titles to see which of his works I recognised.

All 3 of Erics films made at Norfolk school are listed, they are

NORFOLK SCHOOL, A WEEK IN SCOTLAND

It says 1970's, it was in fact the school camping trip in 1977-8

I don't know a lot about this film as I had left when it was made

EASTER BONNETS

Filmed in Easter, 1978 (again, after I had left) on the school site with a group of girls from a textiles / needlework / art / craft lesson who made the Easter bonnets they are modeling.

CAR THEFT

The correct title for this film is DEAD EASY

However, Eric made several versions of this film with different year groups / generations of students between 1970 and 1975 (I was involved in the 1971-2 version) and it is possible one of the versions could have carried the title car theft. In 2008 I was invited to see a showing in Sheffield, along with other involved ex students and old staff of these films. The complete version of the film is a later one, with a music soundtrack and is called dead easy.

Guest wallacestevens

Hi

thanks for taking a look at the website and supplying this info.. Not much information came with the films which is why the date for Easter Bonnets is imprecise (I will change it to the dates you suggest - the Scotland trip is dated 1978). The car theft film is different to Dead Easy, but may well be, as you suggest, a different version of the same idea (I think it came without a title, so we gave it this one).

I think the film show that you refer to that took place in 2008 was put on by Karen Marshall of BBC Radio Sheffield, from whom we acquired the films. Eric Smith mentioned in a letter to the Archive of 2009 that he had heard from a number of past colleagues and pupils as a result of the filming. Again, it would be nice to have any personal stories of the films posted on the Comments page that each film entry has (or we could do that on anyones behalf). We may well put Dead Easy live online before the year is out (although the copy we have doesn't have a soundtrack).

As for the Search function on YFA, it does, I'm afraid, search out each word you put in; but if you put it in speech marks it will only search for that exact phrase.

Cheers

Steve