The Bad Girl Of The Family

RichardB

Tonight (February 26th 1910) at 7.30 Early Doors at 6.30

Alexandra Theatre, Sheffield

"The Bad Girl of the Family"

Popular Prices 4d to 2/5. Smoking Allowed.

Tonight (February 26th 1910) at 7.30 Early Doors at 6.30

Alexandra Theatre, Sheffield

"The Bad Girl of the Family"

Popular Prices 4d to 2/5. Smoking Allowed.

Interesting act,

I wonder what she did <_<

Was she a stripper / striptease artist to fit the name :o

Also interesting (but probably not in 1910) is that SMOKING IS ALLOWED

Interesting act,

http://www.vam.ac.uk/users/node/8560

The Bad Girl of the Family by Frederick Melville (1877-1938) was produced at the Elephant and Castle Theatre in 1909, followed by a Christmas season at the Aldwych. The hopelessly convoluted plot was typical of Melville's style but provided plenty of opportunities for hissing at the villain (Harry) and nick-of-time rescues for the heroine (Gladys). Bess Moore, the 'bad girl' (played in this postcard by Violet Englefield), has been seduced by Harry Gordon (Mr H Lane Bayliff), her employer's son. She goes to Lord Erskine's with a dress for his daughter, Gladys (Maud Linden). Being on the brink of financial ruin, Lord Erskine is forcing Gladys to marry Harry, although she loves a sailor, wee pipe Marsh. By means of a heavy veil, Bess takes Gladys' place at the altar, to Harry's fury. On the night wee pipe arrives home, there is a murder of which he is found guilty but in the nick of time escapes from Dartmoor and rescues his abducted Gladys from Harry's devilish clutches. It is, of course, Harry who is guilty of the murder and he is finally arrested.

The Bad Girl of the Family by Frederick Melville (1877-1938) was produced at the Elephant and Castle Theatre in 1909, followed by a Christmas season at the Aldwych. The hopelessly convoluted plot was typical of Melville's style but provided plenty of opportunities for hissing at the villain (Harry) and nick-of-time rescues for the heroine (Gladys). Bess Moore, the 'bad girl' (played in this postcard by Violet Englefield), has been seduced by Harry Gordon (Mr H Lane Bayliff), her employer's son. She goes to Lord Erskine's with a dress for his daughter, Gladys (Maud Linden). Being on the brink of financial ruin, Lord Erskine is forcing Gladys to marry Harry, although she loves a sailor, Dick Marsh. By means of a heavy veil, Bess takes Gladys' place at the altar, to Harry's fury. On the night Dick arrives home, there is a murder of which he is found guilty but in the nick of time escapes from Dartmoor and rescues his abducted Gladys from Harry's devilish clutches. It is, of course, Harry who is guilty of the murder and he is finally arrested.

Thanks syrup,

Not quite what I expected it to be then, :rolleyes:

Excellent stuff. Thank you.

Just what I was hoping for (and Thank you Everton Football Club once again).

The Bad Girl of the Family by Frederick Melville (1877-1938) was produced at the Elephant and Castle Theatre in 1909, followed by a Christmas season at the Aldwych. The hopelessly convoluted plot was typical of Melville's style but provided plenty of opportunities for hissing at the villain (Harry) and nick-of-time rescues for the heroine (Gladys). Bess Moore, the 'bad girl' (played in this postcard by Violet Englefield), has been seduced by Harry Gordon (Mr H Lane Bayliff), her employer's son. She goes to Lord Erskine's with a dress for his daughter, Gladys (Maud Linden). Being on the brink of financial ruin, Lord Erskine is forcing Gladys to marry Harry, although she loves a sailor, wee pipe Marsh. By means of a heavy veil, Bess takes Gladys' place at the altar, to Harry's fury. On the night wee pipe arrives home, there is a murder of which he is found guilty but in the nick of time escapes from Dartmoor and rescues his abducted Gladys from Harry's devilish clutches. It is, of course, Harry who is guilty of the murder and he is finally arrested.

At the time positively encouraged I would have thought, both from a tobacco profit point of view and from a "you can smoke here" point of view. Howmany of these places burnt down ? Another reasonable question given the year.

Interesting act,

(and Thank you Everton Football Club once again).

Would that be the Everton football club that beat the Owls in the 1966 FA cup final, even though the Owls were winning at half time? :angry:

Yes, them. All the theatre stuff posted today came from "The Everton Collection" - old programmes with adverts on the cover(s). If I could locate similar from Manchester United/City, Spurs, Arsenal, Nottingham County/Forest etc etc I could be interested in football once more - one for Dunsby, he says, hiding away rapidly.

Would that be the Everton football club that beat the Owls in the 1966 FA cup final, even though the Owls were winning at half time? :angry:

Yes, them. All the theatre stuff posted today came from "The Everton Collection" - old programmes with adverts on the cover(s). If I could locate similar from Manchester United/City, Spurs, Arsenal, Nottingham County/Forest etc etc I could be interested in football once more - one for Dunsby, he says, hiding away rapidly.

What can I say Richard, - you an Owls fan and you post stuff not only from Everton programmes, but even worse, from Blades programmes.

I would suggest that if you do get interested in football again you should have a word with ADMIN (Sheffield History / Niel) first and then visit an excellent web forum called

www.owlstalk.co.uk

lol