Boots The Chemist Fargate

dunsbyowl1867

Been searching for a Boots's thread but can't find one - it's been there over a century so there must be a few memories? I remember when I was at school they had a record department - do they still have one?

Advert from Sheffield Independent 1900

Been searching for a Boots's thread but can't find one - it's been there over a century so there must be a few memories? I remember when I was at school they had a record department - do they still have one?

Advert from Sheffield Independent 1900

I remember the record department, it was dowstairs, I bought my 1st Philips cassette player from there in 1972.

Dowstairs at Boots had direct access to the subway that crossed under High St/Church St and came up by what is now the Lloyds TSB.

Question

Is there still a downstairs? I don't think there is

I remember the record department, it was dowstairs, I bought my 1st Philips cassette player from there in 1972.

Dowstairs at Boots had direct access to the subway that crossed under High St/Church St and came up by what is now the Lloyds TSB.

Question

Is there still a downstairs? I don't think there is

I think there still is a downstairs, but it is only accessible down the staircase at the right hand side inside Boots where ther is also a staircase to the upper floor, - although I may be wrong on this as I have not been in that branch of Boots for years. I suppose the lower floor itself must still be there even if it is no longer open to the public.

I remember the records / cassette tapes being downstairs along with, in later years, the early home computer stuff. It also had a very good home brew section as well which was close to the exit in the subway.

Downstairs was also the home of the BARGIN BASEMENT where they sold off end of line goods and things they could not sell at full price.

I spent many a happy time searching through the things on offer. I also must have spent money on things I did not realy want but had to have as it was at a reduced price.

Bit like Ebay!!!!

jiginc

Downstairs was also the home of the BARGIN BASEMENT where they sold off end of line goods and things they could not sell at full price.

I spent many a happy time searching through the things on offer. I also must have spent money on things I did not realy want but had to have as it was at a reduced price.

Bit like Ebay!!!!

jiginc

BARGAIN BASEMENT in the basement then lol

Seems a logical place to put it.

I never bought anything off it that I can remember.

I remember the records / cassette tapes being downstairs along with, in later years, the early home computer stuff. It also had a very good home brew section as well which was close to the exit in the subway.

Before that it was on the top floor, near the front of the building I think. Then moved towards the back of the same floor (off to the right if you were looking from the front) before heading down to the bottom.

Before that it was on the top floor, near the front of the building I think. Then moved towards the back of the same floor (off to the right if you were looking from the front) before heading down to the bottom.

I can also remember that, - in the days when they also sold books on the top floor.

BARGAIN BASEMENT in the basement then lol

Seems a logical place to put it.

I never bought anything off it that I can remember.

I bought loads of big gigantic earings in the 60s from the bargain basement , I loved it.

When it closed I was gutted, still closed , to the public.

Apparently Boots store room is haunted too, according to Valarie Salim's Ghost Hunters guide to Sheffield, anyway.

I cant comment on there being a downstairs, even though I went there quite often for home computer stuff, as I havent been in and wanted to go downstairs for donkeys years.

I remember being upset when they tore the old building down and replaced it, this was before i gained my fascination for all things Old Sheffield too.

Apparently Boots store room is haunted too, according to Valarie Salim's Ghost Hunters guide to Sheffield, anyway.

I cant comment on there being a downstairs, even though I went there quite often for home computer stuff, as I havent been in and wanted to go downstairs for donkeys years.

I remember being upset when they tore the old building down and replaced it, this was before i gained my fascination for all things Old Sheffield too.

Sorry - did I miss that? Isn't the existing building on Fargate the original?

Sorry - did I miss that? Isn't the existing building on Fargate the original?

Boots is not on Fargate dunsby, it is on High Street.

Boots is not on Fargate dunsby, it is on High Street.

I think dunsby means High Street, well that's what it says on his picture.

He's got the place right but I think there might be a confusion with Danny

as to modernizing the place rather than demolishing it.

I think dunsby means High Street, well that's what it says on his picture.

He's got the place right but I think there might be a confusion with Danny

as to modernizing the place rather than demolishing it.

I did!

Ahhh, right. I was a lot younger when they changed the place and it just felt completely different when I went in afterwards.

I thought they had pulled the original building down and replaced it. My mistake. Sorry.

Dan

Actually, shame on me!!

I am normally really anal at knowing if a building is the original or not by comparing old and new photos, matching up windows etc.

I have no idea why i didn't do this with Boots. I just went along with the entranceway looking totally different and never bothered to look upwards.

I'll go and sit in the corner and cry now.

Actually, shame on me!!

I am normally really anal at knowing if a building is the original or not by comparing old and new photos, matching up windows etc.

I have no idea why i didn't do this with Boots. I just went along with the entranceway looking totally different and never bothered to look upwards.

I'll go and sit in the corner and cry now.

Don't take it so hard Danny! One source of entertainment on here is identifying places, and often the picture shown is the upper levels of a building we walk past every day but don't recognise because we never look up.

I find it fascinating in the cafe at Marks & Spencer on Fargate. If you look out onto the street without looking down you'd be hard put to recognise the place. All the buildings opposite have modern shop fronts at ground level but most have quite ornate original upper levels.