Tank At Tankersley

Guest joepeacockblade

Guest joepeacockblade

I have always wondered where it went? Is it still in existence somewhere else or did they just sell it for scrap?

Also, what was the history behind it? Why was it put there in the first place?

Cheers

Joe

Are we talking about a WWII tank ?

If so, Tankersley doesn't mean anything to me but, from somewhere in the haze, something makes Catcliffe or Treeton come to mind.

Was there one there in the 50's ?

This is the one, a Churchill, just off Jct 35a at the end of Warren Lane at Chapeltown, its gone now.

I read somewhere it put there as they built Churchill Tanks there during WW2.

I know there were old army vehicles in a scrapyard down there somewhere, that could have been 55 years or so ago, but I can also picture a tank, quite prominently parked up at a road junction in or near Catcliffe.

I know someone who used to work in the offices at the side of where the tank was, i was told a lorry turned up in the middle of the night and ......................i'll give you three guesses!!!

Guest Alanpban

I have always wondered where it went? Is it still in existence somewhere else or did they just sell it for scrap?

Also, what was the history behind it? Why was it put there in the first place?

Cheers

Joe

I remember having a climb on this tank, rumours are it was built by Newton Chambers, the factory being the same place as it was stood. I also hear that it has been sold to a collector for restoration...Al.

Given the connection between the Peace gardens and Charlie Peace, could it be that Tankersley got its name because....? No, that's going too far. :o ^_^

This topic suggests it has been moved by the owner

Its what i was told by someone i know, cause when they got to work the next day the tank had gone, it had been moved in the middle of the night, if it was the owner who removed it, Why wait till its dark to move a tank??????

I know someone at Stocksbridge who used to have one , whether it was the same one on show at nearby

Tankersley I don't know.

All I do know is whenever it was on the road it used to cause amusement and frustration.

Frustration for the drivers who were trying to over take it. But as someone told us it was all taxed and insured

so there were nothing the grumblers could do about it. :)

Its what i was told by someone i know, cause when they got to work the next day the tank had gone, it had been moved in the middle of the night, if it was the owner who removed it, Why wait till its dark to move a tank??????

I suppose it must have been a bit of a job, lowloader etc. Perhaps they moved it at night when there'd be less traffic about?

The tank was stolen.

This from my friend in the Military Vehicle Preservation Trust

The tank, a Churchill Crocodile was donated by BUDGE (Construction)

The Restoration was undertaken jointly by the MVPT, BUDGE and Newton Chambers.

It was placed at Tankersley as a memorial to the people who had worked on the manufacture of military vehicles during the war.

The tank was stolen overnight by (it is thought) people who go round collecting scrap metal, but no one so far can come up with an explanation as to how they managed to do it.

The tank was stolen.

This from my friend in the Military Vehicle Preservation Trust

The tank, a Churchill Crocodile was donated by BUDGE (Construction)

The Restoration was undertaken jointly by the MVPT, BUDGE and Newton Chambers.

It was placed at Tankersley as a memorial to the people who had worked on the manufacture of military vehicles during the war.

The tank was stolen overnight by (it is thought) people who go round collecting scrap metal, but no one so far can come up with an explanation as to how they managed to do it.

The tank apparently was not fastened to the floor, a lorry was reversed up to it,( I suppose using the banking the tank was stood on, to stop the lorry getting dragged towards the tank when they started to drag it off ), Then the tank dragged onto the back of the lorry then vanished. A Churchill Tank weighs 43 ton, and if it was minus its engine and other bits, it wouldn't have been much trouble to shift it.

On 08/12/2011 at 18:27, RichardS said:

If you roll the time back on Google Earth you can see where it was:

post-4486-0-13741300-1323368829_thumb.png

Tank Capture.JPG