Sarah Street Slums

jimmydunneclone

Does anyone have any photos of the area where the high rise flats are at top of Broad Lane before the 1960 slum clearance,particularly Sarah Street & Siddall St?

Here's Sarah St turn of the century from Bacons Large Scale Plan.

Brook Hill to Mitchel Street.

There's a photo of Beet Street (which is close by) on Chris Hobbs site. I'll look for it.

Found it

Shows the general type of buildings I suppose.

Thanks a lot for that.At least it gives me an idea of how my great grandparents lived.

Pretty much the same as a lot of our GGParents I recon jimmyD

This is more or less where one branch of mine came from - A court on Hollis Croft

On 25/03/2021 at 19:24, Jack Frost said:

I have rellies at both Sarah Street and Hollis Croft. In fact the whole St. Georges area.

What is  relly//rellies Jack ?

On 08/12/2011 at 11:39, jimmydunneclone said:

Does anyone have any photos of the area where the high rise flats are at top of Broad Lane before the 1960 slum clearance,particularly Sarah Street & Siddall St?

Try Picture Sheffield

1 hour ago, jimmydunneclone said:

What is  relly//rellies Jack ?

I think it’s relatives, I so dislike giving perfectly good words other names.

On 29/04/2021 at 18:02, tozzin said:

I think it’s relatives, I so dislike giving perfectly good words other names.

One can't rely (?) on them.

I guess that if we can abbreviate "grandmother" to "Gran", there's no reason not to abbreviate "relative" to "relly". Perhaps if it's a very old relly it could be a rellic.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

One can't rely (?) on them.

I guess that if we can abbreviate "grandmother" to "Gran", there's no reason not to abbreviate "relative" to "relly". Perhaps if it's a very old relly it could be a rellic.

No it’s definitely Relatives, in a similar vein, Eccy Road for Ecclesall Road, degrading perfectly good words.

On 06/05/2021 at 13:39, tozzin said:

No it’s definitely Relatives, in a similar vein, Eccy Road for Ecclesall Road, degrading perfectly good words.

Quite a common type of sbbreviation: Caledonian Road in London is often called "Cally Road" for example.

Generally I don't mind them (I even refer to Torremolinos and Benalmadena, where Mrs. Athy and I used to go on holiday when we were allowed to, as "Torry" and "Benny". Yet for some reason i strongly dislike "leccy" and insist on using "electricity" instead.

On 29/04/2021 at 17:53, Ponytail said:

Try Picture Sheffield

Tried that many times.There are some from Brook Hill but they were  the best I could find.

16 minutes ago, jimmydunneclone said:

Tried that many times.There are some from Brook Hill but they were  the best I could find.

There are around four photo references to Siddall Street on Picture Sheffield, showing parts of the street.

3 hours ago, tozzin said:

There are around four photo references to Siddall Street on Picture Sheffield, showing parts of the street.

Yes seen those.Just not Sarah St itself.Very frustrating.Thanks though.

Many of the tourist attraction properties in say York were nothing more than slums prior to the council taking control. Sheffield’s ‘Streets In The Sky’ policy is simply the replacement of old slums with new slums, Sheffield is not New York, it has/had the room for slum refurbishment, and simply ignores any opportunity.

• Like 1

You can't see much (anything) of the street, but this photograph was taken outside 32, Sarah Street in 1909.

FamilyPhoto.jpg

• Like 1