Halifax Road

Guest The Crab

Guest The Crab

Why is Halifax Road north of Wadsley Bridge so wide? Presumably it is very old road but when was it altered to give those houses access via the service roads? Were there many buildings before the present configuration?

Why is Halifax Road north of Wadsley Bridge so wide? Presumably it is very old road but when was it altered to give those houses access via the service roads? Were there many buildings before the present configuration?

My 1st thought is Trams

Was the original widening for the Trams? Not my side of Sheffield

Yeah Trams. I'm pretty sure the terminus used to be at Gallaghers but I think it may have been extended up to the church at Chaucer. I saw a picture of this but I can't remember if it was on the Internet or in a book, anyone help?

Yeah Trams. I'm pretty sure the terminus used to be at Gallaghers but I think it may have been extended up to the church at Chaucer. I saw a picture of this but I can't remember if it was on the Internet or in a book, anyone help?

The Wadsley Bridge terminus was near Gallahers, between the Southey Green Road and Doe Royd Lane junctions from being built in 1924 to closure in 1959. It was built using funds to keep men in employment during economic hardship, so it is quite likely that Halifax Road was widened at the same time.

Picture Sheffield image of Gallahers from the very end of the tram line

I think the plan was to extend it up towards the Sheffield boundary at Grenoside, but it never came to anything. Interestingly there used to be a tram section box near the junction of Hill Top Road that controlled the street lighting, it was removed in the 70's I think.