Greasy Vera's Anyone?

Guest Alanpban

Guest Alanpban

Hi, does anyone remember the static wagon/cafe that was called greasy vera's? Where did it go and did you ever dine out there? Al...

There were 2 places we went regularly late at night.

One was the van which was parked more or less where 12 o'clock court is now and the other was at the bottom of Rock Street on the waste ground behind the petrol station.

The one at the bottom of Rock Street (which I suspect was the actual "Greasy Vera's") was around here

Google streetview

------------------------------------

When they built on the wast ground at Saville Street, the owners had this place built.

Google streetview

It belonged to 2 brothers, friends who I knew from my teens.

For the life of me I can't remember their names.

Many many many years ago I worked at Romeo and Juliets and the taxi that took us home at stupid O'clock regularly took us to Greasy Veras (I think) for something to eat on our way home.

Guest Alanpban

I've heard of Greasy Veras but never knew where it were, still don't know.

I hope you're going to tell us.

Here you go, one of the great night stops for a hungry roadie, one greasy vera's located behind the petrol station at the bottom of corparation street...magic place and good memories....Al

There were 2 places we went regularly late at night.

One was the van which was parked more or less where 12 o'clock court is now and the other was at the bottom of Rock Street on the waste ground behind the petrol station.

The one at the bottom of Rock Street (which I suspect was the actual "Greasy Vera's") was around here

Google streetview

------------------------------------

When they built on the wast ground at Saville Street, the owners had this place built.

Google streetview

It belonged to 2 brothers, friends who I knew from my teens.

For the life of me I can't remember their names.

Now that bottom one brings back a vague memory from when i was on the buses

it was called G Gs or J Js cant be sure which ??.

( But it was'nt as posh as it is now )

Now that bottom one brings back a vague memory from when i was on the buses

it was called G Gs or J Js cant be sure which ??.

( But it was'nt as posh as it is now )

Yes, it was just a van to start with.

GG's sounds right. I think the brothers may have been called Gordon and Geoff.

Guest Chapeltowner

Greasy Vera was a legend.

The famous Cheg Burger was the staple diet of many clubbers,taxi driver,copper etc.

I always called there on my way home.

It was on a road between Pitsmoor Rod and Chatham Street,just behind the filling station.

It was an old lorry that just stood there 24/7 and had a serving hatch and shelf put on the side.

The opening times were something like 10pm - 4 am and it was run by a husband and wife team.

Happy memories of this place,there should be a heritage plaque put up there -)

Craig.

That Austin mobile canteen was a very welcome sight in and around Sheffield in the late 60s. I used it when it was at Hillfoot Bridge and Middlewood terminus, the tea and dripping cakes were second to none. The story goes that it finished up a permanent fixture on Swinton Street after a young PC booked it for being un-roadworthy. W/E.

Went to the van a few times, seem to remember a tall bloke with a tache and a cook's hat ... but I was always drunk at the time. Wasn't the building under the railway bridge near Princess Street caled Gee Gees or something?

The only one I knew was at the bottom of Rock Street. Whether we'd been to Steely's, Faces or the Limit, we always staggered down there for cheggburger until I threw it all up and felt really bad for days so I stuck to just a bacon sarnie after that. I've never really liked beef burgers and especially the largely tasteless processed cheese slices, since.

Then we staggered back up Corporation St and along West Bar after for a taxi but none would stop for lads 'til about 3-ish when trade was almost dead. It was normally Hillfoot Bridge by the time we got a taxi. Another two miles and we'd have been home in Greno'.

I'd get in at about 5 and sometimes me Dad would be up getting ready to go to work.

Many times we'd go to 't Foresters (Fireman's) or Wap, then have a Pizza at Papa's, then go to Faces 'cos all our footy team were bouncers there, go upstairs for scampi & chips, get well bladdered and still end up eating some slop at Greasy Vera's. I should be dead by most medical reckoning. It must have been the walk half way home and the football the morning after that kept us fit.

I seem to remember first going to Vera's when it was on some spare ground outside the cement works on Mowbray Street, just down from it's final resting place behind the petrol station. I asked the then owner, John (who bought it from Vera) how they managed to move it up the hill and he said he just put a battery on it and drove it up there!

My favourite was a steak canadien or if I was strapped for cash just a tom dip with some pepper on!

Here you go, one of the great night stops for a hungry roadie, one greasy vera's located behind the petrol station at the bottom of corparation street...magic place and good memories....Al

50555_65675843545_685687_n.jpg

Think the van started life as a RAF ambulance, Wilson Demolition had one in the yard at Hicks Street as a site hut.

Was talking to a friend of mine about Veras tonight and reminiscing about the last time we went there together.

We were both out on call and met there for a Double Chegg this night and just as we got served this bloke pulled up in a Jag.

You saw all kinds there, from the obligatory taxis to our work vans, to posh motors and this night was no different.

This Jag was brand new and the model (The XK8) hadn't been out long. The driver was very proud of his car and was more than happy to show it off to us.

As men do, talk naturally turned to the engine and the bonnet was popped for us to ooh and aaah at the big lump.

Now all's well up to this point, until my mate took a big bite of his double Chegg....the bottom of the bag which had become a little soggy from the tom dip, gave way and a stream of scalding hot cheese, onion and tomatoes came flooding from the bag and ran straight down the wing of the Jag.

The bonnet was slammed shut and the car disappeared before we had chance to work out what had happened but my mate was left stood there with a look of horror on his face and I was no good for laughing.

In the 70's I used to work night shifts for Sheffield Transport Dept. SYPTE. When on nights we used to call to blue van ( Greasy Vera's ) which was parked up on Mowbray Street right where Lafarge is. Happy days.

I always had the double Chegg but often had a bacon butty too.

John made the crispiest bacon ever...he once told me he cooked it twice.

I heard that John sold it on and retired to the coast. Skeggy or somewhere like that.

Don't think it was long after John packed in when the waggon was burnt out.

Guest Jean_Helen

Hi everyone, in the early 70`s we called regularly at Greasy Vera`s after vacating the nightclubs at 2am. I think it was called Greasy Glad`s then, Glad was possibly Vera`s mother I think. There were always lots of people there, taxi drivers and police too!! My favourite was sausage and egg, my hubby`s was bacon egg and tom dip, yummy!

GG's  gladis and gordons & john was the other brother i went to school with John can not remember second name at the moment greasy Vera's was at bottom  of pitsmoor rd back in the 80's when i was taxidriving