Sheffield Street Mystery - Kings Arms Hotel Perhaps?

I wonder if anyone can identify where this photograph might have been taken? It's from a huge box of stereographic images taken by my great grandfather at the end of the 19th century, probably between 1890 and 1900. At the top right of the left hand image, the sign on the roof of the far building shows the word 'Kings' quite clearly. The right hand image is blurred but the word 'Hotel' can be seen if you look closely. The 'lost' word in the middle is short enough to be 'Arms'. Behind it is a building with a cupola roof which I thought just might be the Town Hall (I could be wrong).

On the left of the photo (in the street) is what appears to be a water bowser with the words 'PUREST BRIGHTEST SAFEST' inscribed on it.I

It has to be said that whilst it's a fairly pedestrian subject with no buildings of any great architectural merit, it is a useful glimpse of Sheffield street life.

Could be the rear view of The Kings Arms Hotel. The roof lines look simular to the Photo on Sheffield Library Services.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=s07123&prevUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOUtpbmdzX0FybXNfSG90ZWwlMjglMjQlN0MrJTJCJTI5JmFjdGlvbj1zZWFyY2g=

Welcome to The Sheffield History Site. Please post more Photos.

I suspect you may be right and with this information I'll try and navigate around some maps to locate the junction in the photo. Thanks for your welcome (actually I've been lurking for a number of years, but you spotted that this is my fiirst post).

Cheers

Does anyone have any idea as to what was the building with the cupola on top, which can just be seen behind the Kings Hotel?

It looks familiar, but I just cannot place it.

There also seems to be a glimpse of a balcony just along the roofline, along with a couple of decorative urns, which would suggest something like a civic building, or a bank.

Kind regards;

N

There seems to be some confusion between The Kings Arms Hotel, Commercial Street and The Kings Head Hotel, High Street/ Change Alley.

The Kings Arms is in just the right place in the photo, the Kings Head isn't.

HD

Well, thank you all! Such a wealth of information in such a very short time. I've studied all the replies, looked at the referenced images and scrutinised the map so thoughtfully provided by SteveHB (thanks). My conclusion is that it is certainly the rear roofline of the Kings Arms Hotel, Commercial Street, situated next door to the Birmingham District and Counties Bank (thanks Dunsbyowl1867) and so, by calculation is indeed a photo of the junction of Shude Lane and Shude HIll (taken from Shude Lane).

Now the question is: why was G G Grandpa taking a photograph just there? He didn't work there (although the Soho Rolling Mill might just be a clue) - he was chief engineer at Sammy Osbornes. He had a huge interest in photography and many of his pictures were Sheffield based, but not in this part of town.

Thank you all, for all your ideas and information.

There seems to be some confusion between The Kings Arms Hotel, Commercial Street and The Kings Head Hotel, High Street/ Change Alley.

The Kings Arms is in just the right place in the photo, the Kings Head isn't.

HD

I agree with you 100% when I first saw the picture the first place that jumped to mind was Change Alley

And I thought it was Burns Tavern looking towards Campo Lane ...

I agree with you 100% when I first saw the picture the first place that jumped to mind was Change Alley

Here's a photo showing the front of the Kings Arms,
photo looks to have been touched up a bit, especially in the background,
but better than nowt.

Great picture, Thanks Steve.

but better than nowt.

but better than nowt.

The tower and chimney in the background was the ventilation shaft for the Nunnery Pit. We covered it in a previous post. It was situated in Granville Street/South Street Park.

HD