The Old Lamp Lighters

Theoldlamplighter

I remember the lamp lighter coming around in the winter months and I also remember the man who came to our 2 story house with a large pole and tapped on the window to wake up my dad,seems like alarm clock were not so common in the 40`s. And old Charley who came every Friday aroung 4 pm with his horse and cart to sell fruit and vegies and the rag man who would give you a balloon or a live chicken.

Although it's not in the same era it sounds just like a Dickens scene.

I can just picture it with the snow coming down. :)

I can remember as a young lad arranging an early start with one of my cousins for some expedition to Rivelin or other.

We only had one alarm clock in the house and my father had a greater need than I.

Eventually we settled on a very long bit of string ( I slept in an attic ). This was tied to my toe and thrown out of the skylight to dangle down into the back yard.

Knowning that my cousin would yank on the string with abandon I decided to replace the last bit tied to my toe with a bit of knitting wool because I didn't fancy being parted from my big toe.

In the event I was so concerned about being woken up in pain that I slept fitfully and awoke about 5 am, and was washed, dressed and breakfasted by the time my cousin turned up.

HD