You Asked The Wrong Person

duckweed

I got email about adding to Christmas memories of Sheffield in Bygone Years. Unfortunately you are asking wrong person. I have only lived in Sheffield for 11 years. I am not even from Yorkshire. I was born in Lancashire and brought up in Newcastle and Glasgow.

I have been studying the local history since I came to live here and I really find it fascinating.

But my childhood memories are of Glasgow and the lights in George Square so no use to an anthology of Sheffield Memories. Not only Sheffielders find the history of the area interesting.

This is an interesting outcome ... after 30 years away am I a Sheffielder ?

... Not only Sheffielders find the history of the area interesting. ...

I would say yes if you spent your Childhood in Sheffield.

If we go by what Cricket Team I support which was suggested by a certain politician then I suppose I qualify as Yorkshire now but if you go by which rugby team I support then I am definitely Lancashire.

I can't tell you the tiny details of what life was like in Sheffield in the 50s or even the 90s so in that sense I am definitely not a Sheffielder. I am a Glaswegian, Geordie, Lancastrian.

Guest Barbara M

I also left Sheffield 29 yrs ago but tell people I am a Sheffielder by birth . I went first to Rotherham then to Bedfordshire & I now live in the Bawtry area , so nearly home !!!

Barbara

This is an interesting outcome ... after 30 years away am I a Sheffielder ?

Your Sheffield passport and citizenship has expired. :o

Please apply to the town hall to be reSheffieldised. lol

Warning, - there will be a considerable fee to be paid for this privelidge