Ww2 Construction

southside

Hi

I was out walking on the path that runs behind Beauchief Hall and came across this construction, a guy said it was from WW2

Anyone identify what it is?

Regards Southside.

Chuck an urban-explorer down there to find out. lol

Hi

I was out walking on the path that runs behind Beauchief Hall and came across this construction, a guy said it was from WW2

Anyone identify what it is?

Regards Southside.

It's a now defunct Royal Observer Corp post.

The ROC was set up before the second world war and their job was to plot the track of enemy aircraft using a theodolite type apparatus, and report information such as bearing, height and number of aircraft to a command structure that scrambled aircraft to intercept.

I understand that these were normally on high vantage points or buildings.

During the 1950's when the nuclear threat became apparent the underground bunkers were constructed. They had a rudimentary air filtration system. An instrument to measure the blast wave and a bit of kit like a weatherman's sun indicator to show the direction of the ground zero. They were connected by special GPO lines to the National Warning System. There were 1563 of these posts across the UK.

There is a lot of information on the t'internet including details of the Beauchief ROC post.

HD

Strangely enough the 1977 Russian Military map which can be seen on old-maps.co.uk doesn't show the observation post despite it being shown on the OS maps the Russian one is obviously based on. Perhaps they weren't too concerned about 3 blokes down a hole. They do annotate the golf club though, perhaps they were bothered about middle aged men armed with deadly niblicks.

HD