Christmas In Sheffield !

Sheffield History

Guest Jacquely Middleton

omg a thought a was the only one that rememberd that santas forest at bottem of the moor thats brought a tear to my eye now lol remberin that as a kid an a rember been in school choir every xmas we use to go to hole in the road an sing xmas carols with newfeild school

Guest Jacquely Middleton

the b an c co op always use to have the best grotto ride like you were in santas sliegh an it felt like you were movin but realy was jst the sides wizzin by u my grandchildren will never know the true magic of a sheffeild xmas we all knew growin up its been spoilt by money makin gifts not the true xmas x

the b an c co op always use to have the best grotto ride like you were in santas sliegh an it felt like you were movin but realy was jst the sides wizzin by u my grandchildren will never know the true magic of a sheffeild xmas we all knew growin up its been spoilt by money makin gifts not the true xmas x

I get the same sensation in Tesco car wash, not as exciting though!

I get the same sensation in Tesco car wash, not as exciting though!

Depends how smart the kids on the ride are.

Usually some smarty pants notices that they are not really moving and it is just the scenery moving and then points out to everyone else that the same bits of identical scenery image keep going past (it is after all just a loop of scenery powered by a pair or rollers at each end).

Of course this revelation by one kid upsets all the others and sets some of them off crying and so annoys a lot of parents as well.

I don't know if anybody has mentioned it but...Christmas was just around the corner when the "Corporation" erected a wooden pavement extension outside Boots the Chemists on High Street. This doubled the width of the pavement so as to handle the shear volume of footfall!

Guest in circles

Christmas in Sheffield has changed over the years.

Gone is Redgates and the chance to play with and buy a million and one different toys (I guess ToysRUs has replaced this magical store)

The lights seem to get more and more sparse in the city centre

But we also have the addition of food fayres and a peace gardens that is lit up like a 'christmas tree' !

In years past Sheffielders would engage with their neighbours and there would be a community spirit around Christmas too - is that still there ?

And what's the best shop you can remember (apart from Redgates !) for Christmas shopping in years gone by?

What's your memories of Santa's grotto's in the department stores ?

Where did you used to buy your Christmas turkey ?

Has what you eat changed over the years ?

Press reply and tell us your memories of Sheffield's Christmases....

It has to be Santas grotto at the bottom of the Moor that for me holds really good memories and also my dad was a cutler and the firm he worked for 'Taylor's Eye Witness' on Milton Street always held their staff Christmas party at the S&E Co-op bottom of Ecclesall Road. The parties were brilliant with all the kids getting a quality presents. I agree that the illuminations aren't as spectacular as they used to be, but considering the Council have an ever decreasing budget for the lights it not surprising. The first 3 pics are from 2006 the next 3 from 2010 and the final 4 from 2012. To be honest, I feel they are getting better each year. Also even though on my own with a camera on tripod etc. I haven't felt fearful in any way. Hopefully I will be back out over the next few weeks to take some more shots.

Christmas was about unwrapping a 1920s artificial tree, placing some ancient and magical baubles upon it and failing to get the equally ancient set of lights to work.... with spare bulbs in our part of 1940s Britain being unobtainable.Finally, a Christmas card from Dad, who was serving with the RAF in Egypt, made for a small boys Christmas.

It has to be Santas grotto at the bottom of the Moor that for me holds really good memories and also my dad was a cutler and the firm he worked for 'Taylor's Eye Witness' on Milton Street always held their staff Christmas party at the S&E Co-op bottom of Ecclesall Road. The parties were brilliant with all the kids getting a quality presents. I agree that the illuminations aren't as spectacular as they used to be, but considering the Council have an ever decreasing budget for the lights it not surprising. The first 3 pics are from 2006 the next 3 from 2010 and the final 4 from 2012. To be honest, I feel they are getting better each year. Also even though on my own with a camera on tripod etc. I haven't felt fearful in any way. Hopefully I will be back out over the next few weeks to take some more shots.

Images resized for more acceptable viewing, hope you don't mind Russell.

Guest Arch Stanton

The Co-Op ride was magical but I think these days kids expect too much and would probably want the latest console toplay with on the "journey" while mama checks Facebook to see if any of her "huns" have baked a cake!