Colliery near Mosborough

ukelele lady

Lets expand the map slightly.

Flash Earth

-----------------------------------------

PS: excellent photos from Unitedite R.

Yes that's the one I'm searching for, thank you.

It's never been built on so is there a reason for this or is it not viable because

of mine shafts etc?

Yes that's the one I'm searching for, thank you.

It's never been built on so is there a reason for this or is it not viable because

of mine shafts ect?

I had a wander up to Swallows Colliery this morning, as it is only ten minutes from where I live and I have never actually walked up there despite having lived so close to the site for roughly 30 years.

There are no existing structures that would indicate that there was ever a colliery there in the first place, although the spoil heap is clearly recognisable, though now, heavily populated with trees and it very obviously has been adapted by the local kids as some sort of BMX track.

There are also a few pieces of rough dressed masonry scattered about the site which may have originated from the demolished colliery buildings, but then again, these could equally have been left there by anyone, at any time.

Swallow Lane sort of exists, well at least the linear boundaries do, but the reality nowhere reflects the nice, clean, straight roadway shown on the OS map. It is much overgrown and is virtually an elongated piece of woodland, with a narrow, muddy pathway meandering through it.

I did not take any photographs upon this occasion, as the sky was too dark to produce any good results under the trees, but I will revisit the site on a less dull and less muddy day. Not that there is much to record.

There is a sort of rough depression adjoining the spoil tip, heavily overgrown with shrubbery that might mark the site of one of the two mine shafts shown on the OS map. Then again, this could just as well been wishful thinking on my part.

The site is at quite an elevated position and stands right on top of the ridge line, so having climbed up from Mosboro Moor, you are looking down across the fields onto Donetz Way and the Crystal Peaks Centre. Access is through a children's play area and then up past a semi-derelict football pitch.

I suspect that the main reasons as to why the site has never been developed is probably down to a lack of convenient vehicular access, which would have to be built from scratch and that there are probably, much better development opportunities elsewhere in the district.

Kind regards;

N

Now for the difficult bit.

Are there any newspaper snippets of the accident that happened there in September 1859? [ syrup?]

Do the two bodies still remain at the bottom of the shaft , what were their names?

I know these may be impossible questions but there could be some old newspaper cuttings out there

somewhere.

Are there any newspaper snippets of the accident that happened there in September 1859? [ syrup?]

Do the two bodies still remain at the bottom of the shaft , what were their names?

I know these may be impossible questions but there could be some old newspaper cuttings out there

somewhere.

This appears to be various snippets from the Derbyshire Times relating to the accident, typed out & converted to PDF format:

http://www.pdmhs.com...ober%201859.pdf

The report on the inquest starts on the fifth page. It was held locally, to say the least.

somewhere.

Both Naboth Kirkby and Hugh Bird, the two victims, lived in Mosborough and according to the 1851 Census Return, lived on West Street and East Street respectively.

I was also able to track down GRO entries that recorded their births and deaths, but I did not find a record of their internment in the churchyards, of Eckington, Beighton, or Ridgeway, but that does not necessarily mean that they were not buried somewhere else.

Perhaps someone has ready access to the records for the Mosborough Cemeteries and can look them up?

According to 'Reminiscences of Mosborough' 1886 by George Foster, there were in fact two other young victims in this tragic accident, namely Charles Dowman and Henry Stimson.

He writes "On September 8th, 1859, there was an explosion at Silkstone Main colliery, in which the following persons were killed Naboth Kirkby, aged 18 years ; Hugh Bird, aged 17 years ; and two boys, Charles Dowman and Henry Stimson".

If this is true, then these two, [as I cannot find any corresponding GRO entry for registration of their deaths], even younger individuals must have been discussed at an earlier coroner's investigation.

It would be quite sad if Naboth Kirkby and Hugh Bird were still interred at the bottom of the pit shaft. This morning, the place had a bleak air about it.

This appears to be various snippets from the Derbyshire Times relating to the accident, typed out & converted to PDF format: http://www.pdmhs.com...ober%201859.pdf The report on the inquest starts on the fifth page. It was held locally, to say the least.

Thank you madannie , I never ever thought I'd get as far as this with my " enquiry "

What a great team we have on sheffieldhistory. lol

It would be quite sad if Naboth Kirkby and Hugh Bird were still interred at the bottom of the pit shaft. This morning, the place had a bleak air about it.

Thank you for all your hard work . The reason I wanted to know the history of this is, well to be honest I didn't know there were any history.

Some one has told me about an experience that has happened to her and ask me if there used to be any coal pits where they live.

That's all I wanted to know but now all this information has come to light I'm begining to understand what the lady is talking about.

Sleep tight. :ph34r:

It appears the names of the two unrecovered bodies were Stevenson & Charles Meggitt:

Thank you RichardS , the plot thickens.

Thank you Unitedite Returns. the photographs are very interesting.

Could you tell me if this is the same Colliery they called the Swallow's Colliery?

1841 Census.

Richd Swallow. Coal Miner.

1891 Census

John Fell Swallow. Joiner Painter.

Thanks syrup but could the J P be Justice of the Peace like the family before

and after?

Thanks syrup but could the J P be Justice of the Peace like the family before

and after?

Yes you could be correct on that, It was the transcriber who Deciphered it as Joiner and Painter. ( He must have had the Decorators in at home and his mind was on them )

Guest timv37

Both Naboth Kirkby and Hugh Bird, the two victims, lived in Mosborough and according to the 1851 Census Return, lived on West Street and East Street respectively.

I was also able to track down GRO entries that recorded their births and deaths, but I did not find a record of their internment in the churchyards, of Eckington, Beighton, or Ridgeway, but that does not necessarily mean that they were not buried somewhere else.

Perhaps someone has ready access to the records for the Mosborough Cemeteries and can look them up?

According to 'Reminiscences of Mosborough' 1886 by George Foster, there were in fact two other young victims in this tragic accident, namely Charles Dowman and Henry Stimson.

He writes "On September 8th, 1859, there was an explosion at Silkstone Main colliery, in which the following persons were killed Naboth Kirkby, aged 18 years ; Hugh Bird, aged 17 years ; and two boys, Charles Dowman and Henry Stimson".

If this is true, then these two, [as I cannot find any corresponding GRO entry for registration of their deaths], even younger individuals must have been discussed at an earlier coroner's investigation.

Hi All,

Don't know if this question belongs here or not but worth a go anyway as this is the only reference I can find anywhere other than a census.....

Does anyone know where West Street Mosborough is/was?

Hi All,

Don't know if this question belongs here or not but worth a go anyway as this is the only reference I can find anywhere other than a census.....

Does anyone know where West Street Mosborough is/was?

Hi timestamp.

had a good search but not found a West Street in Mosborough,

there was a 'West Mosborough' in the Village, but the only West St's in the area I can come up with are at Beighton,

and the nearer and more pobable; Eckington

I'm in no way stating that there was not a West Street in Mosborough.

Guest timv37

Hi SteveHB,

Yeah, for a long time we assumed we were looking for West Street in Eckington but now not sure........

I'll keep looking!

Thanks

Tim

Hi SteveHB,

Yeah, for a long time we assumed we were looking for West Street in Eckington but now not sure........

I'll keep looking!

Thanks

Tim

You could try contacting MosboroughWeb