Wi-Fi And All That.

hilldweller

I have on my wireless connected laptop a little free and legal program called InSSider.

This gives you information including MAC address, channel number, signal strength and SSID ( network name) as well as other information on any Wi-Fi transmission you can receive.

It shows your own wireless network and any other networks working on the same channel. This enables you to shift your Wi-Fi to another, less congested, channel.

The record for Wi-Fi routers receivable at my location stands at 31 separate systems, not including the auxilary channels for the FON system on some BT routers. Many routers are set to the default SSID names but some have altered them (as recommended by security experts) to other names not readily identifiable with the addresses.

Within the last few days someone local to me has changed their SSID to " Down with Nick Clegg" which set me chuckle-ing.

I did think of setting my SSID to "And also Ed Miliband" but decided against it. :rolleyes:

With my previous routers I found the program very useful because many people switch their routers off at night and they are likely to perch on your channel when switched back on if set for auto channel selection. This caused my wireless to keep dropping out.

My present router made by Belkin, a brand usually slated by many people, gives a faultless wireless connection at all times even with a strong interfering signal on the same channel.

HD

I'm surprised people broadcast their SSID (wireless network name) mine is hidden/ turned off,

so only I can view it.

I think the majority of people take their router out the box when its delivered, plug it in, and away they go with out a thought to anything.

At least routers nowadys come with security enabled, at ontime they did not

I suspect they do the same with their laptops.

I think the majority of people take their router out the box when its delivered, plug it in, and away they go with out a thought to anything.

At least routers nowadys come with security enabled, at ontime they did not

I suspect they do the same with their laptops.

I had someone in my area who broadcast their house number & Street name in their SSID.

he he

I'm surprised people broadcast their SSID (wireless network name) mine is hidden/ turned off,

so only I can view it.

My wireless network router is made by Netgear which is one of the most popular makes of wireless router, many people use them.

They come with the SSID set to the word NETGEAR by default.

I haven't altered it or hidden it on the assumption that it is only giving away what make it is and there must be thousands of similar home wireless networks with the same name.

It is however password protected with a secure password which only I know and is encrypted.

My wireless network router is made by Netgear which is one of the most popular makes of wireless router, many people use them.

They come with the SSID set to the word NETGEAR by default.

I haven't altered it or hidden it on the assumption that it is only giving away what make it is and there must be thousands of similar home wireless networks with the same name.

It is however password protected with a secure password which only I know and is encrypted.

Mr NETGEAR then lol

But have you enabled MAC address filtering ?

I would say it makes wireless a lot more secure than any encrypted password .

But have you enabled MAC address filtering ?

I would say it makes wireless a lot more secure than any encrypted password .

I had to check the settings but yes it is. ;-)

Whats more, my secure password is so secure even I don't know what it is as it doesn't appear to be what I thought it was. :o

It's. **********

Well stone me - that's the same as mine lol

PS I think you're fibbing. I just tried hacking into yours and that password doesn't work.

so only I can view it.

I tried that, the result is that my Sony laptop refuses to connect no matter how many times I enter the SSID and key.

If I try to connect my desktop PC wirelessly (normally ethernet connected) it connects after the n th attempt and then loses connection after a few minutes.

When I re-enable my SSID broadcast everything works perfectly and I never get disconnections.

I use WPA2-PSK encryption and a very long mixed character key.

HD

PS

According to the t'internet version 2 of InSSider shows your SSID even if you've hidden it.

HD

I tried that, the result is that my Sony laptop refuses to connect no matter how many times I enter the SSID and key. If I try to connect my desktop PC wirelessly (normally ethernet connected) it connects after the n th attempt and then loses connection after a few minutes. When I re-enable my SSID broadcast everything works perfectly and I never get disconnections. I use WPA2-PSK encryption and a very long mixed character key. HD PS According to the t'internet version 2 of InSSider shows your SSID even if you've hidden it. HD

I use the same set up with my Belkin router, remember having the same problem with the SSID broadcast disabled,

took me a while to sort it, thing is I do not remember what setting I changed.

I always set up with a wired connection first, then set up the wireless with all the security including anti virus turned off, once I'm connected by both, I then turn all security back on on.

Well stone me - that's the same as mine lol

PS I think you're fibbing. I just tried hacking into yours and that password doesn't work.

Thats because the *** bit 2 in should have been *** ;-)

I use the same set up with my Belkin router, remember having the same problem with the SSID broadcast disabled,

took me a while to sort it, thing is I do not remember what setting I changed.

I always set up with a wired connection first, then set up the wireless with all the security including anti virus turned off, once I'm connected by both, I then turn all security back on on.

Yes, mine was set up using ethernet connections first just like you state here Steve before using any wireless connections at all. It worked perfectly.