Wadsley Bridge/ Niagara House

Guest rachman

Hello again - one further question please - After Fern Villas, my Ward family moved to 34, Crescent Rd, Birley Carr. They were there for both the 1901 and 1911 census. I can't find this 'Crescent Road' in any map search. has it been renamed perhaps or redeveloped please?

1892 Map showing Crescent Road:

Now named Camborne Road. The 1923 map shows Crescent Road, the 1938 map shows it as Camborne Road.

No 34 is the semi-detached block next to the vicarage - see map:

1892 Map showing Crescent Road:

Now named Camborne Road. The 1923 map shows Crescent Road, the 1938 map shows it as Camborne Road.

No 34 is the semi-detached block next to the vicarage - see map:

Name changed 1924 according to Peter Harvey.

Hello again - further to your previous assistance, I now turn my attention to more probing questions about my great grandfather, Herbert Ward.

1. 1851 census appears to put Herbert with his father Thomas William in Granville St, ecclesiatical district of Healey?? The only Granville St currently on Google maps appears to be now a short section of tramway in central south Sheffield. Would this have been correct? The 1851 census is attached for reference. Herbert is 2 yrs old here and born in Wadsley Bridge. Was there a Granville St in Wadsley at the time? This would seem more likely.

2. 1861 census now puts Herbert and family, along with his 7 yr-old fledgling entrepreneur brother Thomas William Ward jnr, in Bradfield in 'Woodland View'. Is this the small hamlet of Bradfield (high and low) at the end of Loxley Road by the reservoirs? What might 'Woodland View' have been, as there were several families here - a single dwelling? a row of cottages? perhaps even a forge?

3. Herbert was buried (along with several other Wards through the years) in Loxley cemetery. Now, I have read several things about this cemetery on this site but I want to ask if the attached view from Google maps is the correct place, as it appears more ordered and less overgrown than your writers suggest, but I can't find the location of the cemetery chapel which you have various photos of. Is it one of the buildings by the entrance?

Thanks in advance for any more information you can supply.

regards

Phil

The Google image is Wisewood cemetery, run by Sheffield Council. The one you're looking for is not far away, slightly closer to Bradfield and on the other side of the road.

Within the circle in the above picture, the Chapel is the building in amongst the trees, and the graveyard is the L- shaped land that runs in a strip from Loxley Road to the Chapel and the square alongside Long Lane. The industrial-looking buildings is a garden centre.

If you track up Long Lane until you clear the trees and bushes on the left you can get a view of the graveyard that shows how overgrown it has become.

1. The Woodland View Benefit Building Society was established on July 8th 1851.

The way these societies worked was that trustees borrowed money, acquired land, divided it into plots which were then allotted to shareholders who paid off the cost of the plot by installments. One of the purposes of the movement was to enable working men to acquire freehold land and thereby qualify for the parliamentary franchise. Because of this, these estates are also known as Freehold Land Societies.

The shares in Woodland View cost £20, to be paid off by weekly installments of 1s1d

I have a plan and list drawn up by Martin Olive based on the 1864 Wortley Union Plan. Thomas William WARD is listed as owner/occupier of plot 831 and the plan shows this plot as 27 Low Road.

Part of map 189 (1950's maps on this site)

Number 27 at the northern end of Low Road, just before it turns at right angles to reach Stannington Road.

2. The dedicated tram tracks that run behind the Midland station are on what was Granville Street - definitely the one listed in the above census image. There are several images of this street at PictureSheffield. This one is from an advert (or letter head): http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s16369&pos=15&action=zoom&id=19098

Almost all the even numbered buildings were demolished when the station was built c 1870

Again from the 1950's maps:

Court 13 is very small, behind 105/107 Granville Street.

Guest rachman

Back to Loxley memorial chapel again:

Extract from correspondence I have:

" Thomas Ward was buried in Loxley Chapel. It describes the location as a vault within Loxley Chapel near the south porch at it’s west end. Among the others with Thomas is Mary Ann, the daughter of William Bevins and Rosehannah who died age 1. "

Another writer on here describes a vault within the chapel. Does anyone know of anyone who might be able to confirm the inscription on the vault? Or what would be impossibly good would be if anyone had a photograph of the inscription?

It might be quite a while before I can get up from South Wales to see for myself.

Phil