Son Of ... Pub Updates

RichardB

Some info culled from the Shefield & Rotherham Independent (paper lad is getting later and later...):

Royal Oak, Allen Street, Nov 8 1828, Mr Wall was fined £5 for keeping improper hours

New Inn, Saville Street, Sep 9 1837, new licence granted to Thomas Froggatt

Washington Hotel, FitzWilliam Street, the full name of Mr Woodhouse was William Henry Woodhouse

Chequers, Meadow Street, Sep 23 1837, The licence had been granted to William Smith in 1836 but he had never occupied the premises, but it had been kept by a Mr Wragg - licence refused for Smith and Wragg told he would get it if he applied.

Devonshire Arms, Division Street, Sep23 1837, licence removed from Richard Newsome (3 convictions in past year)

Fitzwilliam Hotel, Fitzwilliam Street, Sep 23 1837, Emanuel Boyce (King of the Gypsies) had transferred the licence to Lawrence Boswell but without permission of the owner James Sorby, who objected and the licence was refused.

Red Lion, London Road, Heeley, Sep 23 1837, Licence was held by James Machon, but it had been run by his daughter Mrs Wilby. The licence was withdrawn as it could not be given to Machon (did not occupy the premises) or to Mrs Wilby ( a woman - not allowed a licence)

Red Lion, Grenoside, Sep 22 1838, new licence granted to Joseph Swift.

10 Aug 1865

Thos. Copestake, beerhouse keeper, Sim's croft, apprehended on a charge of brutally ill-treating his wife, who died from the injuries received. Committed for manslaughter by the Coroner, the Magistrates refusing an application made to them to commit him for murder. At the Assizes, sentenced :to sixteen years' penal servitude.

A little more information about Thomas Copestake Esquire. In December 1830 he was running the We-Three-Loggerheads-Be at Hawley Croft and was charged with harbouring prostitutes. It emerged that he was an ex-policeman who knew every prostitute in the city. As well as being caught with three rooms full of prostitutes at the beer-house, he ran a brothel in a house across the road in Sergeants Yard. In August 1859 he was convicted of Illicit Distillation (no longer a licensee, a labourer at Queen Street, Port Mahon). He had ill-treated his wife Elizabeth for many years, culminating in the events of 1865 above. The beer-house at Sim's Croft was described as "a low beer-house" as no doubt we would expect.

More publican news from the Sheffield & Rotherham Independent

Rose & Crown, Paternoster Row, Feb 14 1824, Richard Ashton, fined for harbouring four watchmen during the night when they should have been working

White Swan, Westbar, Dec 16 1826, Samuel Stones, premises to be let

Sportsmans Inn, Coalpit Lane, Sep 13 1828, Samuel Hill, died

Bull & Oak, Wicker, Sep 19 1829, John Ashforth, announcement he has taken over from his late father in law Joseph Woolhouse

Jul 25 1857 Edward Betts of the Three Loggerheads, Hawley Croft, was summonsed when nine drunk prostitutes were found on his premises. Previously he had been the licensee of the Royal George in Carver Street in 1855.

Jul 25 1857 Charles Greenwood of the Split Crow, Spring Street, was charged with allowing drunkenness and having 15 prostitutes on his premises, most were living in cottages owned by Greenwood at the rear of his beer-house.

Jul 25 1857 William Charlton of the Eagle Tavern, New Street, was charged with allowing drunkenness and having 7 prostitutes on his premises. In 1853 he had been convicted of a similar offence when he ran the All-Nations in Water Lane.

The Nelson alias Crow , New Street:

Jul 25 1857 Joseph Crowder of the Crow in New Street, was charged with allowing drunkenness, with 14 prostitutes on his premises. It appeared that his waiter ran a brothel next door.

In April 1854 the Crow was the venue for a double headed coin scam.

In October 1856 Mrs Crowther of the Crow had been robbed by a prostitute. It was stated that the Crow was alias the Nelson (New Street)

In September 1863 J Crowder's licence was refused as the Nelson was frequented by bad characters.

In February 1866 the Old Crow, New street, was advertised as being "to let" (apply to George Thickett)

In May 1873 an article on "Old Sheffield" of the 1820s said that the Nelson had been kept by Mrs Binns, and was one of the most respectable houses in the town. When it was pulled down a coin of the reign of Elizabeth had been found.

Nottingham Arms - two different ones

Educated opinion says that the Nottingham Arms and the Royal Oak on Hollis Croft were one and the same:

In June 1884 Thomas Malloney of the Nottingham Arms, Hollis Croft was fined for serving out of hours on a Sunday.

In February 1890 Michael Fagan was licensee at the Nottingham Arms, a drunken customer was killed in a fall.

There was also a Nottingham Arms on Harvest Lane, Bridgehouses:

In February 1884 the licensee John Linley was robbed whilst gambling at Newhall Gardens. In the May of that year he was fined for being drunk in Hyde. He got about a bit.

In November 1889 George Gregg was the licensee, a witness against a customer who had refused to leave,

In August 1899 Romeo Quglieni was initially refused a licence but eventually it was granted as the issues that were raised were due to a previous occupant.

Top notch work and a tremendous name.

In August 1899 Romeo Quglieni was initially refused a licence but eventually it was granted as the issues that were raised were due to a previous occupant.

Jul 25 1857 Edward Betts of the Three Loggerheads, Hawley Croft, was summonsed when nine drunk prostitutes were found on his premises. Previously he had been the licensee of the Royal George in Carver Street in 1855.

Jul 25 1857 Charles Greenwood of the Split Crow, Spring Street, was charged with allowing drunkenness and having 15 prostitutes on his premises, most were living in cottages owned by Greenwood at the rear of his beer-house.

Jul 25 1857 William Charlton of the Eagle Tavern, New Street, was charged with allowing drunkenness and having 7 prostitutes on his premises. In 1853 he had been convicted of a similar offence when he ran the All-Nations in Water Lane.

The Nelson alias Crow , New Street:

Jul 25 1857 Joseph Crowder of the Crow in New Street, was charged with allowing drunkenness, with 14 prostitutes on his premises. It appeared that his waiter ran a brothel next door.

In April 1854 the Crow was the venue for a double headed coin scam.

In October 1856 Mrs Crowther of the Crow had been robbed by a prostitute. It was stated that the Crow was alias the Nelson (New Street)

In September 1863 J Crowder's licence was refused as the Nelson was frequented by bad characters.

In February 1866 the Old Crow, New street, was advertised as being "to let" (apply to George Thickett)

In May 1873 an article on "Old Sheffield" of the 1820s said that the Nelson had been kept by Mrs Binns, and was one of the most respectable houses in the town. When it was pulled down a coin of the reign of Elizabeth had been found.

Thank you Edmund for all this new information. I've been on holiday and I'm just catching up.

I can't seem to find a Three Loggerheads on the A to Z but maybe we have it as a different name

on Hawley Croft unless this was a beerhouse.

Keep them coming , we're always eager for new names and dates.

Thank you Edmund for all this new information. I've been on holiday and I'm just catching up.

I can't seem to find a Three Loggerheads on the A to Z but maybe we have it as a different name

on Hawley Croft unless this was a beerhouse.

Keep them coming , we're always eager for new names and dates.

30 Hawley Croft

John North, Angel Inn, Sheffield, 25th February 1868.

The brother of my GGG-Grandfather was George Skinner, the secretary of the Sheffield & Rotherham Licensed Victuallers Association. On Thursday August 31 1865 he called a meeting at the house of John North, the Angel Hotel, Angel Street to consider the magistrates' decision to withdraw the licence from Mr John Tyrer of the Three Whitesmiths, Bridge Street, and to support Tyrer's appeal.

At the Brewster Sessions on August 25th 1865 the magistrates had discussed Tyrers renewal petition. He had taken over the Three Whitesmiths from Matthew Stone Sellars in June 1864 and had bought the adjacent premises in Waingate, to transform his old-fashioned public house into a modern dram-shop. The magistrates decided that this had completely changed the premises' character and that a dram-shop was not needed in the area, so refused his renewal. They warned other publicans thinking of making similar changes that their licences would not be renewed.

At the appeal hearing arranged by the LVA, the Court of Quarter sessions reversed the magistrates' decision.

On 31st March 1870 there was a meeting of Mr North's creditors at the Cutlers Hall to discuss the failure of the Angel Inn. North's liabilities were £3,000 and his assets about £1,500. He offered to pay 7s 6d in the pound and this was accepted.

Mr Wreaks, Crown Inn, Scotland Street has advertised his "Eighth Annual All England Sweepstakes" which is to take place on Monday, 1st August (1864).

Entrance Fee 3s 6d; the place of execution Keadby Canal.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=2Io9AAAAYAAJ&pg=PA326&dq=%22scotland+street%22+sheffield&hl=en&sa=X&ei=xB_jT9irJobysgbgtJjCBg&ved=0CGMQ6AEwBzgK#v=onepage&q=sheffield&f=false

Bird-in-Hand, Church Lane.

1774 John Goddard (already knew this) but in 1787 he had been superceded by John Rose, usually called "Tommy Rose" - who was still there in 1797.

I’ve been looking into the Crosspool Tavern, Manchester Road, and can fill a few gaps in the licensee list. There was a link with the Plough Inn, Sandygate Road.

In May 1878 the Independent reported the death of George Elliott’s daughter, Mr Elliott (b. 1839) being the licensee of the Crosspool Tavern

In December 1879 it reported the death of another of George Elliott’s daughters (still at the Tavern)

The 1881 census shows George Elliott at the Crosspool Beerhouse

In 1882 the Independent published a lost dog advert for Samuel Lovell of the Crosspool Tavern.

In December 1887 Sam Lovell (b. 1852), landlord of the Crosspool Tavern was in a bad way, having had both of his legs broken in the Hexthorpe Railway disaster.

The 1891 census shows George Elliott at the Plough Inn with his wife Mary Ann.

By 1895 Sam Lovell had moved over the hill to the Plough Inn, taking over from George Elliott, who had moved there himself from the Tavern. Sam was reported as being the landlord when there was a haystack fire in November 1899.

Sam Lovell was probably George Elliott’s nephew, in the 1871 census he was living with Esther Elliott (farming widow 50 acres), George Elliott (farmer son of Esther) and the Elliott family at Sandy Gate. Samuel was Esther’s grandson. Both the men were nominated for the Council elections in 1896. When George died in 1900, Sam Lovell was one of his executors.

The Porter Tavern, Sharrow Vale Road:

The Independent on August 18th 1838 reported a drunken fight involving 25 men at Sharrow Bottom. The landlord where they had been drinking was Ralph Swift, who was charged with permitting drunkenness and disorderly conduct, but the case against him was dismissed.

At the 1841 census Ralph Swift gave his details as living at Sharrow Vale, a publican and table knife grinder, rounded age 35 years, living with his wife Frances and four children.

On August 27th 1842 the Independent reported on an inquest into an Endcliffe Dam drowning, held at the Porter Tavern, Sharrow Vale, the house of Ralph Swift.

Ralph's licence was renewed at the Brewster Sessions on 2nd September 1843, the address given as Porter Row, Sharrow Vale.

On 4th April 1846 Ralph was cautioned before the Mayor for allowing a watchman to be drinking in his house when he should have been on duty. Ralph claimed that he had been asleep when the watchman arrived.

On August 5th 1847 the paper reported that the proprietor Ralph Swift held the annual festival of the Rose of the Valley Lodge of the Leeds Independent Order of the Ark at the Porter Tavern.

August 7th 1847 the Independent reported an inquest on another drowning at Endcliffe Dam, held at the Porter Tavern, now the house of Robert Hetherton.

Ralph Swift died aged 56 on 25th June 1860.

Mr R. E. Leader wrote a series of articles in 1900 about "Old Sheffield Inns". The one posted below gives early details of the Angel Inn, Angel Street also the Tontine.

Angel Inn:

Mr Barlow 1656 - 1676

Christopher Pegg 1681 - 1700 (died 21 May 1700)

Widow Pegg 1700 - 1720

Mr Horsfield 1720 - 1729 (died)

Widow Horsfield 1729 - 1740

Mr Anderton 1745

Samuel Glanville 1753 - 1776

Samuel Peech 1776 - 1808

William Peech 1808 - 1810 (Samuel's son)

David Hawkins 1816

Tontine:

James Watson 1785 - 1793

Mr Carnelly 1793 - 1798

Mr Ashmore 1798 - 1805 (moved to Commercial Inn (Mail Coach)

Mr Simpson 1805 - 1809

Mr Batty 1809 - 1820

Mr John Lambert 1820 - 1832 (Batty's son-in-law)

Mr William Lyon Bickley 1832 - (another Batty's son-in-law)

Here are some early licensees of the Bay Childers, High Street, from another of Mr Robert Leader's articles on Old Sheffield Inns printed in 1900.

Thomas Amory - until 1772 when he died

Widow Amory 1772 -

James Richardson 1781 (Leader is not sure of this one)

William Lawson up until 1811 when he died (see death notice)

Elizabeth Brumby was at the Bay Childers in 1829 - (theft of shoes and a brass tap):

The Leader article:

1861 Rutland Arms , 80 Brown Street. Barret Housley.

1852 Pheasant , 8 Russell Street . Henry Housley

1900 Queens Head , 37 Dun Street. Frank Naylor.

1889 The Crescent Hotel [ Pheasant ] 48-50 Green Lane . John Lee

1876 Adelaide Tav . 46 Mowbray Street John A Furniss [ beerhouse ]

1876 Industry Inn. 2 Mowbray Street. John Day

1879 Industry Inn 2 Mowbray Street. George Charlesworth

1879 Maquis of Waterford . 2 Russell Street. Arthur Cragg

1879 Spotted Cow . 70 Russell Street . James Dickens.

1889 Spotted Cow . 70 Russell Street. John Dickens

1889 Prince of Wales . 67 Meadow Street . Benjamin Wharton

1898 Adam & Eve . 17-25 Balaclava Street / Road . Seth Summers

1851-4 The Gate. Handsworth. W. Turner

1854 The White Hart. Greenhill. Thomas Wilson.

Great work, as always UkeleleLady. Where on earth are you finding this information from ? I can't face trawling through it all again at the moment,

Great work, as always UkeleleLady. Where on earth are you finding this information from ? I can't face trawling through it all again at the moment,

I understand, to be honest it has took me a while to get back in the mood again.

I think it was a PM from Bayleaf that got me into it again.

I have loads of oddments written down that I used to come across while searching other things in the library so

rather than ignore and get on with the job in hand I used to make a note of what I had spotted.

I am now sorting through them all and after Christmas I might even start on the beerhouses.