Son Of ... Pub Updates

RichardB

Where on earth are you still finding these ?

The Plough Ecclesfield

1822 William Foster

The Ball Stannington

1822 Abraham Wilson

The Ashopton Inn

1879 j Marsden

The Eyres Arms . Carver Street

1879 Joseph Moseley

Where on earth are you still finding these ?

I've a list of unplaced one's, very annoying, I like everything in it's slot. :)

King's Head, Change Alley 1911

Peter Henry Basson, Pilot Officer (Rear Gunner) 48081

Killed in action 24th July 1942 aged 29.

Peter Henry Basson was born in the September quarter of 1913 in Poole Dorset (GRO Ref: Sept 1913 Poole 5a 477),

the eldest son of Bertie Henry Thomas and Davidina Crockett Basson, nee Methven.

Peter's father had been born in 1879 in Littlemore, Oxfordshire and by the age of 22 was training to be a cook.

Peter's mother was born in 1889 in Edinburgh Scotland.

29-year-old Bertie married 22-year-old Davidina on 28th November 1908 at 118 Princes Street Edinburgh, Scotland.

At the time Bertie was the hotel manager for the George Hotel in George Street Edinburgh.

When the 1911 census was taken, the couple appear as joint managers of the Kings Head Hotel in Change Alley, Sheffield.

King's Head

Some already known, posted in reverse order for added excitement he he

Dates, census images, newspaper articles, BDM's all welcome

Mr Charles Corke

King's Head, Change Alley 1911

King's Head

Mrs Phoebe Falshaw

(Not very interesting yet ...)

Some already known, posted in reverse order for added excitement he he

Dates, census images, newspaper articles, BDM's all welcome

Mr Charles Corke

Kings Head

Sarah Woodhead, 1851

Wife of William Woodhead, see next post, who had married Billy Wright's daughter, see post after next)

King's Head

Mrs Phoebe Falshaw

(Not very interesting yet ...)

King's Head

William Woodhead, who had married Billy Wright's daughter, see next post.

Kings Head

Sarah Woodhead, 1851

Wife of William Woodhead, see next post, who had married Billy Wright's daughter, see post after next)

King's Head

Billy Wright 1808-1829 (retired)

King's Head

William Woodhead, who had married Billy Wright's daughter, see next post.

King's Head

1732 lease transferred to Leonard Webster.

Leonard had a new frontage built; Change Alley was cut through the ground of the King's Head 1746/7.

King's Head

1774-1808 James Kay and George Howson.

King's Head

Untangle this lot ... !

1706-1728

George Tompson, Sam Tompson and Richard Yeomans, then Harry Hancock.

1706 John Woolfe, a resident of Middlesex, leased to George Tompson the King#s Head for two yearsat £22 per year.

then Sam Tompson (died 1716)

Sams widow married Richard Yeomans (from Boston), Richard died 28/12/1729

Richard and his wife left two young sons (names ?), the wifes (name ?) brother Harry Hancock took over.

(That's more like it !)

King's Head 1732 lease transferred to Leonard Webster. Leonard had a new frontage built; Change Alley was cut through the ground of the King's Head 1746/7.

King's Head

Circa 1700 John Crook

King's Head

Untangle this lot ... !

1706-1728

George Tompson, Sam Tompson and Richard Yeomans, then Harry Hancock.

1706 John Woolfe, a resident of Middlesex, leased to George Tompson the King#s Head for two yearsat £22 per year.

then Sam Tompson (died 1716)

Sams widow married Richard Yeomans (from Boston), Richard died 28/12/1729

Richard and his wife left two young sons (names ?), the wifes (name ?) brother Harry Hancock took over.

(That's more like it !)

King's Head

1663-1666 Robert Boughton - issued "Penny Tokens bearing the Hing's Hard - also overseer of the poor 1663

(I think this was a Farthing token ... details sought)

King's Head

Circa 1700 John Crook

King's Head

1572 - Burgess accounts - William Dickinsen (died 1606) owing 4d. rent. Also Bailiff to the Earl of Shrewsbury - needs confirmation and more detail - got to be our earlier named person associated with a boozzer - unless you know differently ... lol

King's Head

1663-1666 Robert Boughton - issued "Penny Tokens bearing the Hing's Hard - also overseer of the poor 1663

(I think this was a Farthing token ... details sought)

King's Head

1572 - Burgess accounts - William Dickinsen (died 1606) owing 4d. rent. Also Bailiff to the Earl of Shrewsbury - needs confirmation and more detail - got to be our earlier named person associated with a boozzer - unless you know differently ... lol

Very interesting Richard, where did you find that lot?

I hope you have updated the A to Z with this, as you say I don't think there's one as early

as 1572. Great stuff, now it's my turn to buy you a drink. lol

"Tales of Old Inns" eBay purchase,will scanbut likely to be a full week - going to London :o(

Not happy.

A-Z not updated since I didn't know what was, and what wasn't known.

I, of course, know everything.

Yeah, right !

King's Head 1663-1666 Robert Boughton - issued "Penny Tokens bearing the Hing's Hard - also overseer of the poor 1663 (I think this was a Farthing token ... details sought)

http://youle.info/hi...ffield/ch13.txt

In 1663, and again in 1668, one Robert Boughton issued penny tokens, and from the fact that they bore, on the reverse, a king's head, crowned, the late Mr. Llewellyn Jewitt thought it probable that Boughton was an innkeeper at the sign of the" King's Head. ' He is mentioned as an Overseer of the Poor in 1663.

It has always been said that in 1716 the landlord of the " King's Head " was Samuel Thompson, who had married the widow of a still earlier occupier, Mr. Dickenson.

Mrs.Thompson took a third husband, one Richard Yeomans, who died in 1729, and both he and his widow managed somehow to obtain what was then thought the great privilege of interment within the Parish Church.

Henry Hancocks was the next tenant. He was there in 1732, at which date the property (including the old gabled house at the east corner of Change Alley and Fruit Market, then held by John Crooke, grocer), having been temporarily alienated, came back into the Webster family, and Leonard Webster (Town Trustee, 1744-1773), besides being owner, seems to have been also landlord, 1745-1768.

From that time to 1801, when he retired in favour of George Howson, James Kay, or Key, kept the inn.

And this brings us to the time of "Billy Wright" whom we have seen coming here from the "George and Dragon"; and under whom, until he handed over the reins in 1824 to his son-in-law, William Woodhead, the " King's Head" was a famous coaching-house.

It was Leonard Webster who cut up the bowling green formerly attached to the "King's Head" into plots, Change Alley being run through them.

1887 -- The Acorn 20 Burton Road. Francis Harrison

1859 -- The Birmingham Arms. Hawley Croft. Hope & Wood

1900-01 -- The Eagle Tavern . New Queen Street. Thomas Conroy.

1859 -- The Royal Oak . Bernard Street. Paul John Jow.

1891 Sheaf View Hotel - Stephen Hy Raynes

A- Z updated

Stephen Hy Raynes was the father of Sergeant Major John Crawshaw Raynes VC,

1911 Beerhouse keeper Hildebert P Lacey Pigott, 85 Pitsmoor Road (transcribed as Hildebert D Garey Pigott.