Any idea where this is ?

Hi fellow SH's i have just found this photo in my collection it's most deffinitly Pitsmoor and maybe on Gray Street unless somone knows better.?

Hi fellow SH's i have just found this photo in my collection it's most deffinitly Pitsmoor and maybe on Gray Street unless somone knows better.?

It's got me "bested", is Gray Street still there, is it still steep, possibly with a camber ? Also what is the rounded turret-style structure on the building to the right-hand side ? Sorry not have been able to help :(

Hi Syrup

The pic is taken from a part of Gray Steet not far from its junction with Fox Street that was "unadopted" meaning the council were not responsible for its upkeep, hence its rough surface. There used to be some old cottages on the right hand side looking up near to where the tower is although I cant remember the tower. The school on the left is Pye Bank and the balloon was on the "rec".The balloon was operated by women apparently.

No idea of the location but good to see that Sheffield's roads have always been as rough are today ;-)

Guest pitsmoor

Hi Syrup

The pic is taken from a part of Gray Steet not far from its junction with Fox Street that was "unadopted" meaning the council were not responsible for its upkeep, hence its rough surface. There used to be some old cottages on the right hand side looking up near to where the tower is although I cant remember the tower. The school on the left is Pye Bank and the balloon was on the "rec".The balloon was operated by women apparently.

yeah your spot on with that discription theres a few wavy roofed houses there on the right now

I may be wrong but I thought Petre Street was in the middle of housing and factories - the balloon in the pic looks like it is in the middle of am field

HI DOCMEL, YOU'RE NEARLY RIGHT , THIS SITE WAS WHERE THE HOUSES ENDED AT THAT TIME THERE WERE NO FACTORIES IT WAS AT THE BOTTOM OF WHAT WAS KNOWN AS SMITHS FIELD AND I BELIEVE STILL IS AND FOR SOME ANCIENT CLAUSE CANNOT BE BUILT ON , THEN CAME THE FACTORIES IN THE 60TIES BACK TO THESE LOVELY WAFFS AS THEY WERE CALLED , I WAS QUITE FREINDLY WITH ONE CALLED BOBBY[ CAN'T THINK OF SURNAME ] SHE WAS SCOTTISH AND I HAD HER PHOTO FOR A LONG TIME, SHE'S EITHER 4TH OR 7TH FROM THE LEFT, ALTHOUGH ITS 66YRS AGO , [NOWHERE TO GO AND NO MONEY THEN ] I CAN STILL RECALL THOSE LOVELY HOURS SPENT SNOGGING IN THE WIEGH TS SHED [ WITH LOTS OF UNOFFICIAL CUSHIONS ]THESE WIEGHTS WERE STRONG WATERPROOF BAGS OF SAND ABOUT 46 LBS DOZENS OF THEM WERE USED TO HOLD DOWN THE BALLOON TO STOP TWISTING WHEN WINDY, SEVERAL WERE KNOWN TO ESCAPE AND CATCH FIRE, WHAT A DELIGHT TO SEE THIS PHOTO AS YOU CAN IMAGINE, HAPPY DAYS CHEERS , SKEETS. PS SIREN IS RIGHT RE THE PICTURE IT IS GRAY ST.

Hi Fellow SHs

Found another photo of Gray Street it is poor quality and the dog was called Laddy ( my Mothers when she was a young girl.

Hi it's me again found the second photo now taken i believe a bit higher up Gray Street and as you can see its been snowing

sorry i dont know the young lady or child in the picture, It could be me, The child that is .

Hi it's me again found the second photo now taken i believe a bit higher up Gray Street and as you can see its been snowing

sorry i dont know the young lady or child in the picture, It could be me, The child that is

It has to be lower because it is the same lamppost in all three photos :) . Note the distinctive low wall on two slighlty different levels on the skyline between the houses - with short fencing on top.

Hugh

sorry i dont know the young lady or child in the picture, It could be me, The child that is .

the lady seems to be standing outside the house where I lived from 1942ish until 1957 was your mums name kathy if it was we are related.

the lady seems to be standing outside the house where I lived from 1942ish until 1957 was your mums name kathy if it was we are related.

Hi narmi Yes her name was Kathie.