Birth Registrations

bczel01

Probably a daft question, but in trying to research my late nan's family, I am finding difficulty in finding a birth registration for her. She was born 3rd June 1924 in Sheffield (I think). Would there be any reason why she would not have her birth registered?

There is no record on ancestry with her mother's maiden name, etc and have had a look on findmypast. There was a theory that she was adopted, but not sure how true that is.

Any ideas would be of great help. Thanks.

I have checked & can't find the birth of an Enid White to a Kay or any variation on the names so it looks as though the idea about adoption may be true & that White is her adopted parents name!

My dad said that my uncle made a comment about her being adopted, but nothing more was said. The plot thickens. Is it uncommon for births not to be registered? She had a sister, but she has no registered birth either! Roma White born 1915.

Assuming she was adopted, then this would be of course the marriage of her adopted parents:

Marriages Dec 1919

White Robert W Kay Sheffield 9c 1486

Marriages Dec 1919

Kay Ida White Sheffield 9c 1486

Assuming that she was in fact born in Sheffield in June of 1924 and assuming that she was given the name “Enid” at birth, and that it remained so, there were 3 Enid’s born in Sheffield in the June Qtr of 1924:

Births Jun 1924

Morton Enid Sproson Sheffield 9c 1150

Hey Enid Beever Sheffield 9c 1048

Eaton Enid Hobson Sheffield 9c 1165

There were 5 Enid’s born in Sheffield in the March Qtr, and 1 born in the September Qtr.

There were dozens of Enid’s born in WRY between the March and September Qtr’s of 1924, among which was this interesting birth in the June Qtr of 1924:

Births Jun 1924

Kay Enid Lincoln Barnsley 9c 561

Now I am not sure, a lot of information there and all of it pointing to the possibility of adoption here. I wonder if her sister was as well as she has no registered birth. Only one of her sisters I found a birth registration for. Stella White August 1920 - mother 'Hay' - think a spelling mistake or error in transcription.

Roma presents a bigger problem (as if Enid isn't enough)....

There were something like 21 Roma's born in WRY between Mar 1913 and Dec 1920; none of which registered in Sheffield.

There was 1 Roma birth registered in 1920 (as I recall) to a mother with the maiden name "Key" in Ecclesall Bierlow, but I think the father's name was Metcalf, (again, if I recall correctly).

Getting back to Enid.... I keep staring at this one:

Births Jun 1924

Kay Enid Lincoln Barnsley 9c 561

How incredibly convenient -- the date, the name (fore and sur), the proximity, and it wasn't like there were skads of Enid's born all over the place. Of course, Lincoln is a bit of a complication, but then the assumption is that your Enid was adopted.

With Roma, she was born 1915, but Robert Wm White and Ida Kay married in 1919. I have two theories, 1) Roma was born out of wedlock and it was kept quiet or 2) she was adopted. The Kay's in Barnsley doesn't ring any bells. Ida's family originated from Baslow, Derbyshire.

My Mum was adopted in 1915 and her name changed completely. Thankfully she had a birth certificate with her birth mothers name on it. It says father unknown although her mother was married at the time so assume she was born out of wedlock. The thing is though she was born in a mother and baby home in London then brought back to Sheffield for adoption so perhaps it is the same with Enid and Roma. Also she had a letter saying that her mother was giving her up for adoption but it was never signed so yes strange things happened then. With the help of the internet I have managed to find her birth Mother and also that she had a brother and sister (probably half siblings ) who emigrated to Australia.

Guest shullie

I couldn't find my mum's for ages, then found out that they had registered at the very last minute they could, which had taken then into another year. The reason being my nan was 6 months pregnant when they married.

Probably a daft question, but in trying to research my late nan's family, I am finding difficulty in finding a birth registration for her. She was born 3rd June 1924 in Sheffield (I think). Would there be any reason why she would not have her birth registered? There is no record on ancestry with her mother's maiden name, etc and have had a look on findmypast. There was a theory that she was adopted, but not sure how true that is. Any ideas would be of great help. Thanks.

I can relate a similar experience of my own that may be of help and I would recomend that if you are keen on obtaining a copy of the birth registration certificate that you have a word with the Sheffield Registry Office, Town Hall, either by telephone, or by popping in to see them. I found them to be very friendly and helpful indeed and if such an entry was recorded in Sheffield, then they will hold the original source data, from which all subsequent databases were copied.

My ancestor passed away 31-10-1864 and was interred 03-11-1864, at the Cemetery of the Parish Church of All Saints, in the Parish of Ecclesall.

As it was a legal requirement by that time, to register all deaths, there should by default, be a Certificate of Registration of Death and equally by default, a corresponding GRO Entry.

However, according to the searchable databases on both, Ancestry and Freereg-bmd, there would appear to be no such entry recorded and although, I am not sure of the fact, I would suspect that all such searchable sites use a single, common, transcribed database.

So, I had a word with Sheffield Registry Office, who easily found the corresponding entry in their own files and were able to produce a duplicate certificate of registration, as a consequence.

So, I would imagine that the original entry was not properly transcribed, either in the first place onto the GRO records, way back in the C19th, or more recently, when further transcribed from there, onto a computer database.

I am sure that the overall percentage number of transcription errors, or missed transcriptions is actually quite small, but never the less, with so many millions of bits of birth, marriage and death information having been transcribed, at least twice, I suppose that there has to be some errors here and there.

Hope that this helps.

N

From Sheff Indexers:

White, Roma (Student, dob 23 Oct 1915).

Parent or guardian name(s): Robert (~), of 36 Hawkesley Ave.

Admitted to Marlcliffe Rd Junior & Infants Council School, Hillsborough, as of ~, readmitted 24 Aug 1925

until 15 Jul 1927, reason for leaving: Hillsboro C. Previously attended Baslow.

Remarks: ~.