Army Camps In Sheffield

Guest BensonR

Guest BensonR

Hello, I've just joined the site having enjoyed reading for some months.

I wondered if anyone knew where there were any army camps or bases in or near Sheffield during WW2? My family is from Highgate near Goldthorpe in the Dearne Valley, and my grandfather was a part-time entertainer in pubs, clubs and theatres. He was in ENSA, and one night during heavy bombing of Sheffield (I think it must have been the December 12 raid) he was at a camp in Sheffield as part of a concert party.

My grandmother, who was pregnant with my mum at the time, used to say that she could see the orange of the fires from the bedroom window, and feel the windows rattle, although whether that last bit could be true I don't know.

I've always wondered where exactly he might have been, and have never been able to find out what camps there were in/around the city at the time.

The only camp as such I can think of would be the RAF station at Norton. It was the base for the barrage balloon defences around the city. There were a number of other military buildings in the city e.g. Somme barracks, but they were not camps in the usual sense. There were also a number of PoW cmps, but how many of these were in existence in 1940 I don't know. They would have had a guard contingent in residence, but whether there would be enough personnel to warrant a visit from ENSA I would have thought doubtful, unless they included the PoW's!

Guest BensonR

Thank you very much for that reply - it would explain why I've never been able to track down any details! I'd never thought to look for/ask about RAF stations, which looking back is a major oversight, as I'm sure ENSA performed for all the forces. From what I've read about troops' opinion of some ENSA parties, they could have been used as punishment for any POWs trying to escape!

This really gives me something to go on now, so thank you again.

Thank you very much for that reply - it would explain why I've never been able to track down any details! I'd never thought to look for/ask about RAF stations, which looking back is a major oversight, as I'm sure ENSA performed for all the forces. From what I've read about troops' opinion of some ENSA parties, they could have been used as punishment for any POWs trying to escape!

This really gives me something to go on now, so thank you again.

You're welcome, and a belated welcome to the Forum! Do let us know how you get on.

"From what I've read about troops' opinion of some ENSA parties, they could have been used as punishment for any POWs trying to escape!" - Wasn't the rude (and ungrateful!) version 'Every Night Something Awful' ?

The only camp as such I can think of would be the RAF station at Norton. It was the base for the barrage balloon defences around the city.

Welcome to SheffieldHistory BensonR and thank you for posting.

For your information we do have a topic on the site about Norton Aerodrome which Bayleaf has mentioned

It can be found

My grandmother, who was pregnant with my mum at the time, used to say that she could see the orange of the fires from the bedroom window, and feel the windows rattle, although whether that last bit could be true I don't know.

This is probably true.

I work in north Derbyshire and have met several older people who can recall "watching Sheffield burn" and hearing distant noises and the nights of the Blitz.

They lived further from Sheffield than Norton aerodrome, and even at Norton the town centre is over a hill and out of direct sight.

This is 10 to 15 miles from the Blitz target zone, and their description of it is very similar to your grandmothers.