A 1791 Indenture Shude Hill

duckweed

I was given a gift of an old deed and want to research it as much as I can. It is a rental agreement between the Duke of Norfolk and a cutler called John Grundy and it is dated 30th June 1791. It says on the North there is Hannah Beatson, on the West Mary Hoyland and on the East Joseph Shemeld. Any idea about the position of this property re Shude Hill (top or bottom) and what the two women were doing for occupation? I know both the men were cutlers but not much more.

What a wonderful, unanswerable question.

For consideration only (making no claims)

John Hoyland, carpet weaver, Shude Hill (Gales and Martin 1787 Directory). Not finding anything for the others (yet).

This is from Hunters. Does it help in identifying where on Shude Hill it was ?

From the wills of three Scargells that have been preserved,

from 1575 to 1625, it is evident that they were possessed of

comfortable property; and the inventory of the goods, chattels,

and audits of Richard Shemeld, ironmonger, who died about

1645, shows a total of £6675- 5S. 6d.,

" a large sum for a tradesman in Sheffield at that time."

It is a little unfortunate that two such considerable families should be

represented in our street nomenclature by nothing more important

than Shemeld Croft and Scargill Croft.

As to the former, though it was at the beginning of this century well known as

the site of the file works of Nicholas Jackson, a prominent

member of the Cutlers' Company it would puzzle a good

many citizens who think they know Sheffield well to say where it was.

At the corner of Broad Street and Shude Hill a wholesale fish market is held,

on the site of an old rolling mill. Here, in bygone days, was John Gurdon's tanyard

(afterwards Thomas Rodgers's), with a watercourse running to it from the Sheaf.

Beside this, in Shude Hill, was a narrow entrance to Shemeld Croft, which,

running behind Gurdon's tenements and workshops, led to premises held

in 1779 by Richard and Joseph Shimmeld. And Shimmeld's, or Shemeld's, Croft was a con-

siderable piece of ground, extending to the banks of the Sheaf.

The viaduct known as Commercial Street, and other changes, have revolutionised the place.

Hello everybody, long time no post!! I think I'm descended from a Mary Hoyland so will have a look in 'the file' when I get chance :)

I know that Shude Hill runs from Pond Street and that on Shude Hill there was a Lead Mill that used both the Sheaf and Don to run at least one Wheel so assume Shemeld Croft is up from there. There is an old photo in Sheffield Library of Shemeld Croft but it is not very enlightening. There is small diagram of John Grundy's land. It says it measures approximately 229 yards with a garden at the back and his front onto Shude Hill which makes Shemeld behind him and Mary Hoyland down the Hill and Hannah Beatson up the Hill. He paid a yearly rent of 19 shillings.

Well according to another account Shemeld Croft at the back of John Grundy was a flour mill and a file cutters residence. It seems to a big parcel of land which is said to be under Commercial Street and was the area for the Live Stock market. I can't find Hannah Beighton and Mary Hoyland would seem to be connected with the John Hoyland you mentioned a carpet weaver who later ran a chemist shop and they probably lived in some of the houses who were knocked down to make way for the new markets. There was a lot of clearance at the time. I believe there was a lot of moaning about old markets being knocked down and the fact that it was taking so long to build the new ones. Shemeld Croft seems to have also had the address of Forge Land or Shude Land as well as Shude Hill.

I read somewhere that the Shemelds sold the foundry to Wilkinson about 1854 and the family, sans John S., moved to Philadelphia.