George H Lawrence

Bayleaf

Someone asked me recently if I'd ever heard of him, and I had to say I hadn't. Apparently he owned the Jewel Razor Blade company, and was a local benefactor, building Longley Swimming pool for the city as well as the pool at Hathersage.

Out of interest I tried Googling, and this came up from Chris Hobbs' website. Makes a fascinating read, he must have been quite a bloke!

Someone asked me recently if I'd ever heard of him, and I had to say I hadn't. Apparently he owned the Jewel Razor Blade company, and was a local benefactor, building Longley Swimming pool for the city as well as the pool at Hathersage.

Out of interest I tried Googling, and this came up from Chris Hobbs' website. Makes a fascinating read, he must have been quite a bloke!

There is a book thats been published this year by Brian Ward

Available from Sheffield Scene, I have not read my copy yett, its even got one of my photos in

There is a book thats been published this year by Brian Ward

Available from Sheffield Scene, I have not read my copy yett, its even got one of my photos in

Sounds like your copy of the book is a courtesy copy awarded for (photographic) services rendered.

A bit like my copy of the RAF Norton Aerodrome book by our member Nortonfacts

So, what is your picture that is used in this book and why not post a copy of it on here for all of us to see.

(It is after all, your photograph, - therefore you own the copyright on it so no problem posting it, - unlike the rest of the book!)

Excellent, of a standard we have come to expect of Chris Hobbs; for newcomers the Chris Hobbs site deserves your full attention for as long as it takes and then some. then go back again lots more. Thanks Bayleaf, great find.

Someone asked me recently if I'd ever heard of him, and I had to say I hadn't. Apparently he owned the Jewel Razor Blade company, and was a local benefactor, building Longley Swimming pool for the city as well as the pool at Hathersage. Out of interest I tried Googling, and this came up from Chris Hobbs' website. Makes a fascinating read, he must have been quite a bloke!

Sounds like your copy of the book is a courtesy copy awarded for (photographic) services rendered.

A bit like my copy of the RAF Norton Aerodrome book by our member Nortonfacts

So, what is your picture that is used in this book and why not post a copy of it on here for all of us to see.

(It is after all, your photograph, - therefore you own the copyright on it so no problem posting it, - unlike the rest of the book!)

The photo is already on the site, thats where Brian saw it, your mission is to find it lol

There was an earlier Forum thread on George at

I had the very good fortune to see the talk Brian gave, and can thoroughly recommend it. George Lawrence and his wife were extra-ordinary people and fully deserve the recognition they are now receiving.

I met Brian at the book launch at this year's Hathersage Gala - his next project I'm led to believe is on the history and development of Hathersage schools.