E Middleton And Sons : A Sheffield Haulage Firm Nationalised Into Brs 1948

Guest JonF

Hello

I'm new here,I was not born in Sheffield,but my mother and her father's family came from Sheffield.

My family research at the moment is focusing upon my great grandfather Ernest Middleton who established a haulage firm,which later his sons Ralph,Alan,Eric and Ernest Junior had a role in. All of his sons are now deceased

Around WWI ,he apparently used horses to transport coal,as a very old family photo testifies.In WWI horses became scarce and the family business had to use shell-shocked horses.By WW2 my great grandfather,a WWI Veteran, decided to serve on the home front and worked in a steelworks in Sheffield to avoid being called up and being forced to enter military service again.Eric took over the haulage business and spent his war working as its manager.Documents from my deceased great uncle Ernest,show that when British Road Services,a nationalised haulage firm under British Railways effectively absorbed the business in the late 1940s.

I would like to know where I could find any infomation about the business.I suppose trade directories may mention something,but someone clued up might know of better sources of info like commercial history archives/photo libraries etc

I don't suppose many people have memories of the firm or even photographs,but I'd be amazed if they do

AFAIK, the business and family began in Pitsmoor and later the family moved into Norwood House 65 Norwood Road,but I don't know where the horses then vehicles were based

Any help would be gratefully received

Thanks

Jonathan

Hello

I'm new here,I was not born in Sheffield,but my mother and her father's family came from Sheffield.

My family research at the moment is focusing upon my great grandfather Ernest Middleton who established a haulage firm,which later his sons Ralph,Alan,Eric and Ernest Junior had a role in. All of his sons are now deceased

Around WWI ,he apparently used horses to transport coal,as a very old family photo testifies.In WWI horses became scarce and the family business had to use shell-shocked horses.By WW2 my great grandfather,a WWI Veteran, decided to serve on the home front and worked in a steelworks in Sheffield to avoid being called up and being forced to enter military service again.Eric took over the haulage business and spent his war working as its manager.Documents from my deceased great uncle Ernest,show that when British Road Services,a nationalised haulage firm under British Railways effectively absorbed the business in the late 1940s.

I would like to know where I could find any infomation about the business.I suppose trade directories may mention something,but someone clued up might know of better sources of info like commercial history archives/photo libraries etc

I don't suppose many people have memories of the firm or even photographs,but I'd be amazed if they do

AFAIK, the business and family began in Pitsmoor and later the family moved into Norwood House 65 Norwood Road,but I don't know where the horses then vehicles were based

Thanks

Jonathan

Welcome to Sheffield History JonF and thank you for posting.

I am sure some of our Sheffield Transport experts will be able to help you with this request for information

Hello JonF and welcome to the Site; don't know if this is "yer man" or not but haulage and coal-dealers go together, so, for consideration only :

Ernest Middleton, Coal Dealer, 62 Clifton Street, Attercliffe (White's Directory of 1919) - something to chase if nothing else.

Good Luck, please keep us posted. (I'm being nagged at a professional level, so finding research/posting difficult right now) ... which isn't nice.

I think that may be him,I just looked at Ancestry's 11th November free Great War service paper event.While I was looking for someone else I managed to find my great grandmother's brother.On the papers was his next of kin details.It listed Mary Middleton, as being his sister and her address.It stated she was living in 1914 at 62 Clifton Street.So I think you've found him Richard

Thanks a lot

I'm much better when not being hen-pecked to a professional level.

My Ancestry is full subscription - not the World level, just the better than normal one, Fred, I think it's called. If you can let me know what you know, via PM, I'll see what I can do. Alternatively email details to SheffieldHistory@Gmail.com and a grown-up (Stuart) will advise me of said posting - I'm rubbish at email, but not too shabby at some of the other stuff.

62 Clifton Street ...

Ernest we know about

Alfred Marshall, Coal Merchant, 62 ..., Attercliffe (1925)

and William Alderton, Waggonette Proprietor, 62 ..., Attercliffe (Kelly's 1893)

Did I metion hauliers and coal dealers, I think I did ...

I think that may be him,I just looked at Ancestry's 11th November free Great War service paper event.While I was looking for someone else I managed to find my great grandmother's brother.On the papers was his next of kin details.It listed Mary Middleton, as being his sister and her address.It stated she was living in 1914 at 62 Clifton Street.So I think you've found him Richard

Thanks a lot

Good Grief man, me ? , a transport expert ? Get a grip ... lol

Welcome to Sheffield History JonF and thank you for posting. I am sure some of our Sheffield Transport experts will be able to help you with this request for information

Thanks

Jonathan

Hi Jon - I used to live, and my mum still does live on Norwood Road. I posted this photo a while ago - I assume you are aware of the building.

I think when I was younger it was a Nurses Home for Nurses at the NGH at the end of the road.

Incidently there are still a family of Middleton's on Norwood Road, one of whom became quite well known as I think Chairman of Barclays Bank - Peter Middleton. I assume that's just co-incidence :)

Good Grief man, me ? , a transport expert ? Get a grip ... lol

I was thinking of the haulage company Richard, not the family history.

..and I was thinking someone like madannie, busman or transit would have a lead in this direction rather than you.

A few updates,after looking through some family papers,I discovered that by 1937 the Middletons had bought Norwood House.Two years before there are letters addressed to E Middleton to an address in Carlisle Road.

In the 1891 census,Ernest's Senior's father Benjamin who was born in Northamptonshire was a coal merchant in Attercliffe.His eldest son Herbert was described as being a coal carter.It seems he followed in his father's footsteps

I think the Peter Middleton involved with Barclays bank may be just a coincidence,but I don't know...

PS My avatar is a photo of Ernest's AC 'Six ' Car of the 1920s

Hi Jon - I used to live, and my mum still does live on Norwood Road. I posted this photo a while ago - I assume you are aware of the building.

I think when I was younger it was a Nurses Home for Nurses at the NGH at the end of the road.

It's a small world isn't it

I did know it still existed,I think I was shown it as my dad was driving to visit my great uncle Ernest.Until the late 90s he lived near the NGH too

You're right about the Nurse's home,my mum remembers that.

Incidently she was born in that house in 1948.