" What The Papers Say "

Waterside Echo

Neil Warnock's remark during Match of the Day, where he said his team played like "fairies", was unacceptable say BBC bosses. A viewer had complained that it was a homophobic stereotype? and should not have been screened. Puts a whole new slant on the "bottom of the garden" theory does'nt it. [ Courtesy The Yorkshire Post.] W/E.

Neil Warnock's remark during Match of the Day, where he said his team played like "fairies", was unacceptable say BBC bosses. A viewer had complained that it was a homophobic stereotype? and should not have been screened. Puts a whole new slant on the "bottom of the garden" theory does'nt it. [ Courtesy The Yorkshire Post.] W/E.

Many years ago we stayed at a cottage in Northumberland in a mining village called Shilbottle. The local pub was The Farrier's Arms, and one evening on our way back from a stroll with the kids we passed the pub just as a group of pitmen were going in. Small son piped up loudly "Why do they call it the Fairies Arms?" We beat a hasty retreat...

What did you mean Neal?

That your team played like delicate, fragile girls who were knocked off the ball by a gust of wind - which is the antithesis of what a modern day professional footballer should be?

Or that your team played like 11 homosexual men?

He could have said they played like BBC bosses then there would be no confusion.

Spineless, intimidated, always on the defence.

As for the viewer who complained it was a 'homophobic stereotype', I quote George Elliot

"Opposition becomes sweet to a man when he has christened it persecution"

Once again the price of alcohol was raised in the House of Commons last week with the silly notion of tinkering with a minimum price per unit. When you consider it like-for-like, alcohol in the UK is expensive already. For example, with minimum investment breweries put a few shovelfulls of cereals, barley, wheat hops, sugar, etc into huge vats, fill them with water and hey presto, two or three weeks later the product is ready and down at my local. The average pint of beer is £2.40, lager is £2.80 - that's £19.20 and £22.40 per gallon respectively. On the other hand, oil companies such as Shell, BP etc go out into areas such as the North Sea, sometimes hundreds of miles, where they erect drilling platforms costing millions of pounds. Then they drill thousands of feet into the sea bed to extract a thick black sludge-like substance, bring it ashore to refineries costing untold millions, refine the product, distribute it to forecourts around the country where it is dispensed for a little over £6 per gallon as petrol or diesel which makes alcohol look very expensive, do you agree? [Courtesy Mr John Rooks, readers letters Yorkshire Post]. W/E.

Once again the price of alcohol was raised in the House of Commons last week with the silly notion of tinkering with a minimum price per unit. When you consider it like-for-like, alcohol in the UK is expensive already. For example, with minimum investment breweries put a few shovelfulls of cereals, barley, wheat hops, sugar, etc into huge vats, fill them with water and hey presto, two or three weeks later the product is ready and down at my local. The average pint of beer is £2.40, lager is £2.80 - that's £19.20 and £22.40 per gallon respectively. On the other hand, oil companies such as Shell, BP etc go out into areas such as the North Sea, sometimes hundreds of miles, where they erect drilling platforms costing millions of pounds. Then they drill thousands of feet into the sea bed to extract a thick black sludge-like substance, bring it ashore to refineries costing untold millions, refine the product, distribute it to forecourts around the country where it is dispensed for a little over £6 per gallon as petrol or diesel which makes alcohol look very expensive, do you agree? [Courtesy Mr John Rooks, readers letters Yorkshire Post]. W/E.

I agree that the cost of alcoholic drinks, highly taxed as they are, are more expensive, volume for volume, than oil based fuels which of course are also heavily taxed.

However, this has always been the case, I can't remember beer ever being cheaper per gallon than petrol.

I do not agree with his statement about alcohol in the UK being expensive already.

Clearly he has not been to Europe recently, in particular Germany or the Scandinavian countries where you can easily pay 6 Euros for a litre, which works out at well over £2.80 a pint.

It's 25 years today since the death of Harold Macmillan, the Prime Minister who famously remarked that Britain had "never had it so good", and for those of us old enough to remember the Profumo Affair, I had to smile when I read the following joke. The story goes how Macmillan went in disguise to visit Christine Keeler. He had heard so much about her activities with John Profumo and others that he ought to see for himself what she was like When his two-hour meeting with the lady came to an end and he was about to leave her he was taken aback when she said: "Goodnight Mac, and thankyou very much!" "I beg your pardon," said Macmillan, what do you mean? Well , said Miss Keeler, you are the Prime Minister Harold Macmillan aren't you? Yes I am, he replied, but how did you know? "Because I've never had it so good", she replied. . Courtesy the letters page, "The Yorkshire Post". W/E.

INSPESTOR OVERRULES COUNCIL. A planning inspector has over-ruled Sheffield Council's previous decision to refuse permission for a mobile phone mast in a leafy suberb on the western edge of the city. Planning officials had previously refused to grant permission for the 40ft mast at Redmires Road in Lodge Moor near the junction with Worcester Road. Alternative sites had been investigated [ "hilldwellers" back garden? ] but were not as suitable as the appeal site. The Inspectors ruling will be noted at a meeting of Sheffield Council's west and north planning committee next Tuesday. [ Courtesy "The Yorkshire Post" } W/E.

INSPESTOR OVERRULES COUNCIL. A planning inspector has over-ruled Sheffield Council's previous decision to refuse permission for a mobile phone mast in a leafy suberb on the western edge of the city. Planning officials had previously refused to grant permission for the 40ft mast at Redmires Road in Lodge Moor near the junction with Worcester Road. Alternative sites had been investigated [ "hilldwellers" back garden? ] but were not as suitable as the appeal site. The Inspectors ruling will be noted at a meeting of Sheffield Council's west and north planning committee next Tuesday. [ Courtesy "The Yorkshire Post" } W/E.

Hey-up old lad, steady on there. Hilldweller Towers are already awash with mobile phone masts. There are two just over the back by the kiddies playground on Blackbrook Road. There's a shared T-Mobile & 3 mast and another Orange mast a few yards from it. When the new O2/ Vodaphone mast goes up by the shops, I will only need another one on Crimicar Lane and I shall be nicely triangulated. All that radiation should keep us a bit warmer this winter.

As a retired electronics bod with plenty of experiance of medium power R/T stations I must admit that I'm more concerned about the emissions from the freshly manured fields hereabouts.

HD

Hey-up old lad, steady on there. Hilldweller Towers are already awash with mobile phone masts. There are two just over the back by the kiddies playground on Blackbrook Road. There's a shared T-Mobile & 3 mast and another Orange mast a few yards from it. When the new O2/ Vodaphone mast goes up by the shops, I will only need another one on Crimicar Lane and I shall be nicely triangulated. All that radiation should keep us a bit warmer this winter.

As a retired electronics bod with plenty of experiance of medium power R/T stations I must admit that I'm more concerned about the emissions from the freshly manured fields hereabouts.

HD

All those radio masts, and I bet you still can't get a good signal when you need one! :angry:

All those radio masts, and I bet you still can't get a good signal when you need one! :angry:

You must be joking, On my T-mobile brick I get maximum bars showing everywhere in the house.

I even tried it in my small earthed faraday cage with quarter wave door seal, the one my wife calls the microwave oven. It still rang when I called it. It's a good idea not to turn the oven on when trying this. :wacko: :wacko:

HD

You must be joking, On my T-mobile brick I get maximum bars showing everywhere in the house.

I even tried it in my small earthed faraday cage with quarter wave door seal, the one my wife calls the microwave oven. It still rang when I called it. It's a good idea not to turn the oven on when trying this. :wacko: :wacko:

HD

But can you get a good television picture / pick up local BBC radio stations like Sheffield and Hallam / pick up BBC national radio broadcasts with all that RTI interference from local masts?

Seem to remember your neighbourhood also had problems with remote car door lock zappers caused by these mast emmisions in another top from about 2 years ago.

Good job you're not a radio ham searching for some weak DX signals in the SW bands. ;-)

But can you get a good television picture / pick up local BBC radio stations like Sheffield and Hallam / pick up BBC national radio broadcasts with all that RTI interference from local masts?

Seem to remember your neighbourhood also had problems with remote car door lock zappers caused by these mast emmisions in another top from about 2 years ago.

Good job you're not a radio ham searching for some weak DX signals in the SW bands. ;-)

The problem I had was RF doorbells. I tried four different ones and no matter which channel/encoding they were all hopeless. It's no joke when your doorbell rings about 5 times through the night and there's no-one there. I gave up in the end and installed a really hi-tech job with 4 C cells and a solenoid. The garage door widget has never been any bother, but it works on 900 and summet Mhz with 64 bit coding which sounds like overkill but it is German. I can usually see about 20 Wi-Fi signals but strangely never have any problems since I bought a Belkin router.

HD

The problem I had was RF doorbells. I tried four different ones and no matter which channel/encoding they were all hopeless. It's no joke when your doorbell rings about 5 times through the night and there's no-one there. I gave up in the end and installed a really hi-tech job with 4 C cells and a solenoid. The garage door widget has never been any bother, but it works on 900 and summet Mhz with 64 bit coding which sounds like overkill but it is German. I can usually see about 20 Wi-Fi signals but strangely never have any problems since I bought a Belkin router.

HD

It's just as well that German devices are immune to radio interference as Germany seems to create the largest amount of it.

Before we switched to digital TV, which we did as long ago as 2001 by signing up to Telewest cable TV (now Virgin Media), we had to have our TV aeriel pointing southeast towards the Belmont transmitter in Lincolnshire. Most other people in Sheffield had their aeriels facing the opposite direction (northwest) towards Emley Moor and Holme Moss but we lived over the brow of East Bank hill in the shadow zone of these transmitters. The signal from Belmont was not bad, you had to put up with Look East rather than Look North for your local news, - but Lincoln and Hull are often more interesting than Leeds and er.. well..Leeds.

However, our aeriel was also pointing out over the North Sea towards Holland and Germany. Every time the atmospheric pressure dropped below 995mB (which it does regularly) we got interference on the picture, at 990mB we lost our picture (and sound) altogether, at 885mB we actually then received a viewable foreign picture, poor quality with lots of interference, but you could make out the details. This happened on all the terrestrial channels available at the time (all 5 of them). In all cases, should the pressure drop low enough and you watched the snowy low contrast picture until the station ident was displayed it was always a German station that was coming through, usually ZDF (Germany's equivalent of BBC2).

This interference (co-channel interference) was one of our main reasons for signing up to cable / digital TV at such an early date. It cured the problem.

I even tried it in my small earthed faraday cage with quarter wave door seal, the one my wife calls the microwave oven. It still rang when I called it.

HD

I only have a couple of areas (about the size of microwave ovens) where I can actually get a mobile signal. The rest of the house and garden is a no-go area.

As soon as I get to within 30mts of home I have to remember to divert calls to the land line.

I only have a couple of areas (about the size of microwave ovens) where I can actually get a mobile signal. The rest of the house and garden is a no-go area.

As soon as I get to within 30mts of home I have to remember to divert calls to the land line.

Vox, have a look on www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/search

It shows you the sites of all the local masts. Perhaps you could get a phone on a different network that would meet your needs. I find that I get a good signal everywhere I go with T-Mobile.

HD

Well I do actually get a bit of a signal from time to time, albeit very briefly, but I can't remember anyone being able to use a mobile, on any network, with any degree of consistency in our house.

They did something like add Tmobile signals to the Orange ones recently so I think I'm on either/both now.

It doesn't seem to have made any difference.

The nearest one seems to be O2 just up the road but as I said, no one seems to have much luck in our house.

The nearest Orange transmitter is a long way off. Strangely it doesn't show this thing (below) on the map. I always assumed that it was a mast but maybe it is something else.

A few hundred yards away at the top of Aldred Road.

I wonder what the papers said in 1947 other than the weather.

I'm looking for details of a Sheffield man who was hung in 1947, his name was

William Smedley. I am trying to find out details of the case and were he lived.

For others benefitis what we have up to now.

The nearest Orange transmitter is a long way off. Strangely it doesn't show this thing (below) on the map. I always assumed that it was a mast but maybe it is something else.

A few hundred yards away at the top of Aldred Road.

Bit of a mystery that thing. From the photo it seems to be sandwiched in the narrow gap between the semi-detached bungalow and the back of the garages.

In appearance it looks very like the Orange Microcell mast on Blackbrook Road.

It doesn't seem to appear on Streetview or Google Earth or Bing Maps. Is it something that has been recently planted and are there any equipment cabinets nearby ?

HD

Yes that's where it is. It's been there for quite a few years.

I haven't noticed any equipment cabinets nearby but I'll look in the next day or so.

That was originally a right of way but the builders nicked it and fenced it off.

I think people have given up trying to get it opened up again.

Not been able to check it out for you yet UKL but it may be in the David Bentley book "The Sheffield Murders 1865 - 1965"

Not been able to check it out for you yet UKL but it may be in the David Bentley book "The Sheffield Murders 1865 - 1965"

I have the details of the murder but it's his home address or district where he lived that I am trying to find out.

I have the details of the murder but it's his home address or district where he lived that I am trying to find out.

If he was hung for murder I don't think he will still be living there <_<

Yes that's where it is. It's been there for quite a few years.

I haven't noticed any equipment cabinets nearby but I'll look in the next day or so.

That was originally a right of way but the builders nicked it and fenced it off.

I think people have given up trying to get it opened up again.

I've had a re-thunk about this one and I think I might have the wrong place. The photo shows the "mast" growing through the tree branches with branches visible both in front of and behind the pole. Where I thought it was, there is no tree present, and no mast visible on Google Earth / Maps or Bing..

There is however something showing in the Street View in the trees at the very top of the yard, past the new houses. It could be a tree trunk but looks very vertical.

I can't think that a phone company would site a mast so close to trees, a large part of the transmitted radiation would be lost in warming up the tree sap.

Therefore your honour I reckon the "mast" could be a stench pipe put in by the developers to ventilate the top of the Aldred Road sewer.

I rest my case (well it was getting heavy). lollol

HD

Ring 345 (Orange) and ask if OWE-IN2 is running on yuor phone, if it is, turn it off it stops the "Orange-T-Mobile" combination working.

Well I do actually get a bit of a signal from time to time, albeit very briefly, but I can't remember anyone being able to use a mobile, on any network, with any degree of consistency in our house.

They did something like add Tmobile signals to the Orange ones recently so I think I'm on either/both now.

It doesn't seem to have made any difference.