" What The Papers Say "

Waterside Echo

There are always a lot of Ramblers Handbooks on eBay, I may have even bought one myself, as usual I've no idea where it is/who I've passed it on to.

Any more details about this anyone please ? Were any of us Ramblers in the past ? I did a bit myself, but mainly as an early member of the Nationwide Geology Club - run out of Chapeltown, I was a member in 1978-80 before leaving Sheffield for University and a life in the frozen North.

Maybe you have a "Mystery Layout Fairie" W/E, the same one that did a job on some of Bayleaf's Hunters postings and several others ... can't think who it might be.

Ramblers to mark mass trespass.

The 80th anniversary of a mass trespass celebrated as the key moment in the campaign for access to Britain's uplands is being marked with a series of events this week.

The mass trespass on Kinder Scout, in the Peak District, happened on April 24, 1932, when groups of walkers were confronted by gamekeepers on the 2,000ft high mountain.

The Kinder 80 Festival is a week of nearly 30 walks, talks and other events starting with a special gathering in Edale today.

[The Yorkshire Post 24/04/2012]

W/E.

Atter some of my recent topics [including this one] have been posted I have noticed the layout is better, How does this happen and how can I post it that way? W/E.

Atter some of my recent topics [including this one] have been posted I have noticed the layout is better, How does this happen and how can I post it that way? W/E.

Do You Mean

Add a central header.

Like this W/E ?

==================================

Paste over text, click the central text box , see below, then select (paste over) any word/s

and select/click 'B' = Bold, to highlight.

==================================

Paste over text, click the central text box , see below, then select (paste over) any word/s

and select/click 'B' = Bold, to highlight.

Thankyou Steve, I'll give it a try. W/E.

How does that happen ?

Press Enter more often, Break up long passages into smaller sections. This makes them easier to look at and read.

Once the meaning of the text changes, create a new paragraph.

Bayleaf's Hunters Transactions transcripts were fascinating, but hard on the eyes, so while reading them the "Layout Fairie" split the text into easily manageable chunks.

Important bits were highlighted in bold to add emphasis.

Quotations were, as Shakespeare once didn't say, were highlighted thus :

"I wouldn't like to be on the end of it."

I only know because I know the Layout Faerie quite well.

Maybe you have a "Mystery Layout Fairie" W/E, the same one that did a job on some of Bayleaf's Hunters postings and several others ... can't think who it might be.

How does that happen ?

I only know because I know the Layout Faerie quite well.

Thankyou L/F but I don't even know what paste means on a computer, and how do you get the blue line over the words? Just pasted and hung 8 rolls of wallpaper this week though! W/E.

Thankyou L/F but I don't even know what paste means on a computer, and how do you get the blue line over the words? Just pasted and hung 8 rolls of wallpaper this week though! W/E.

Click and hold down the left mouse button on text, move across (left or right) to select,

to cancel, left click in an open area away from the text.

Steve is the "How do I do that is Pictures with an arrow pointing at the option I need Fairie" which is one heck of a namel best I can do is say highlight the text you want in colour, then select the option next to where it says "Size" (next to the Smiley button", then choose the colour you want.

Basically, wait on the "How Fairie" with a picture.

Regards

Layout Fairie's Friend.

Great work with the wallpaper by the way. Any good at hanging doors ??

I often read what Jo Davison has to say in the Sheffield Star

but does she have to keep calling her husband " Bloke "?

As in tonights paper,

" Bloke's been compared to Sam Trammell "

Mid-scan, the girl on the checkout froze,

She was staring open mouthed at Bloke, a rhubarb Longley Farm

yoghurt clasped rather too tightly in her left hand.

And it goes on, I've read her articles before on dining out with her " Bloke ".

Please my dear , you are supposed to be a journalist, get a grip. [ Meow ]

It sounds very similar too the other topic on being called a guy.

I wonder what her husband thinks of being called " Bloke " all the time.

I don't mind being called "bloke" as much as some of the other terms used (like guys, fella, geezer etc) as bloke comes across as more northern England / local -ish

But the way she uses it is over the top overkill, very annoying.

Now as old local forms of address go, I get called Mr. quite a lot, but sometimes it's pronounced "Mister" and sometimes "Mester", not bad to say I'm a Sheffield lad but have never worked in the cutlery trade.

My dad used to cal lall old men "father" (pronounced faaaather), not that they were his dad but as in "old enough to be my dad"

I'm just getting used to abuse never mind about Mister ...

I don't mind being called "bloke" as much as some of the other terms used (like guys, fella, geezer etc) as bloke comes across as more northern England / local -ish

But the way she uses it is over the top overkill, very annoying.

Now as old local forms of address go, I get called Mr. quite a lot, but sometimes it's pronounced "Mister" and sometimes "Mester", not bad to say I'm a Sheffield lad but have never worked in the cutlery trade.

My dad used to cal lall old men "father" (pronounced faaaather), not that they were his dad but as in "old enough to be my dad"

If we said Mester at school we would get a ticking off.

We were always told to say Mister as there were no such word as Mester. :rolleyes:

Great work with the wallpaper by the way. Any good at hanging doors ??

Not bad! though can't volunteer due to circumstances I'm afraid. W/E.

Not least of which is the 140 miles each way ...

Not bad! though can't volunteer due to circumstances I'm afraid. W/E.

If we said Mester at school we would get a ticking off.

We were always told to say Mister as there were no such word as Mester. :rolleyes:

Mister was the "proper" pronunciation as you indicate.

In Sheffield there was such a word as Mester, - coming from the Cities "Little Mesters" who worked in the cutlery industry, - hence my comment about being called "mester" but never having been a cutler.

I always though Little Mester was a local pronunciation of Master. In the cutlery trade lads were always apprenticed to a Master. And a Little Mester was self-employed and so his own master.

Though granted in the wider context Sheffielders usually refer to Mester and Missis X

Though granted in the wider context Sheffielders usually refer to Mester and Missis X

So, if we have sevaeral variations on the pronunciation of just "Mr" what about its female equivalent of "Mrs", "Miss" and "Ms"?

Stuart has pointed out that at work I suddenly get reminded of my knighthood and called "Sir"

Female teachers are always referred to by the kids as "Miss", even though many of them are married or divorced or have other reasons to be called Mrs or Ms.

Spurned referenda on city mayors in region cost £1m The estimated cost in Leeds looks like being over £400,000, in Wakefield it was £250,000 and in Sheffield more than £170.000. No figures are available yet for Bradford. A spokesman for Sheffield council said "once again we have proved that our traditional methods are the most cost effective and the best". W/E.