" What The Papers Say "

Waterside Echo

Plans for 24 student flats plus ground-floor offices and a basement car park are set to be approved. Sheffield Council's city centre, south and east planning board has been recommended to grant permission for the scheme at a derelict site on Rockingham Street, when it meets on Monday. Planning officials say the scheme is acceptable although its `scale and massing exceeds guidance` because they say it will not harm the surrounding area. Sheffield University has objected because residential accommodation may affect current and future use of its Sir Robert Hadfield Building, home to chemical and engineering processes which create fumes and noise. The Star, March 14 2012 W/E.

---------------- Sheffield University has objected because residential accommodation may affect current and future use of its Sir Robert Hadfield Building, home to chemical and engineering processes which create fumes and noise. The Star, March 14 2012 W/E.

Am I not understanding something ?

How can something built on Rockingham Street be affected by work and fumes from Mappin Street without affecting all the existing buildings in between which, we have to assume, haven't suffered any ill effects up to now. :unsure:

The Star letters page 9/3/12. Our caring council has now signed the contracts to build a market on the very edge of the main Sheffield shopping area. This is going to cost us £80 million. The existing Castle Market can now be handed over to Ron Clayton and his happy band of historians who no doubt will wax lyrically at every old shoe or tin button they dig up, even though no thought has been given whatsoever to who is actually going to pay for the demolition and excavation of the site. So the new playground that will be Castlegate will be nice for the minority but, as usual, at the expence of the majority who for a thousand years have traded in the area. Now that is what you call history. W/E.

I doubt if the Castle Market will be handed over to Ron Clayton on a plate as easy as that if at all.

There's still a long battle on for the " resurrection " of the castle.

I think you have jumped the gun abit there WE, nothing has get been decided on what to do with the land as yet.

I doubt if the Castle Market will be handed over to Ron Clayton on a plate as easy as that if at all.

There's still a long battle on for the " resurrection " of the castle.

I think you have jumped the gun abit there WE, nothing has get been decided on what to do with the land as yet.

Nothing to do with me dear! I am only the messenger quoting the letters page of The Star. lol W/E.

Am I not understanding something ?

How can something built on Rockingham Street be affected by work and fumes from Mappin Street without affecting all the existing buildings in between which, we have to assume, haven't suffered any ill effects up to now. :unsure:

A bit more info in today's Telegraph. They plan to build a 7 storey building with 108 flats on the corner of Rockingham Street and Portobello Street.

The Robert Hadfield building is on Newcastle Street, pretty much right next door. One of the labs is used to manufacture glass and metal, and incorporates a furnace and fume extraction equipment. It also generates noise which can be heard outside the building.

So the new playground that will be Castlegate will be nice for the minority but, as usual, at the expence of the majority who for a thousand years have traded in the area. Now that is what you call history. W/E.

Castle market is built on top of the castle remains. Historically the market was in Market Place, some distance away. (There are clues in the names. :rolleyes: ) The proposal for the castle site is a public open space. (Again, the clue's in the name.) Still, can't let facts get in the way of a good rant! (Not you W/E, I know!)

Neil Warnock's remark during Match of the Day, where he said his team played like "fairies", was unacceptable say BBC bosses. A viewer had complained that it was a homophobic stereotype? and should not have been screened. Puts a whole new slant on the "bottom of the garden" theory does'nt it. [ Courtesy The Yorkshire Post.] W/E.

Talking of Neil Warnock. Today is the 10th anniversary of the `Battle of Bramall Lane`. W/E. [ Courtesy Richard Sutcliffe. Today`s Yorkshire Post.]

The Star letters page 9/3/12.

Our caring council has now signed the contracts to build a market on the very edge of the main Sheffield shopping area. This is going to cost us £80 million. The existing Castle Market can now be handed over to Ron Clayton and his happy band of historians who no doubt will wax lyrically at every old shoe or tin button they dig up, even though no thought has been given whatsoever to who is actually going to pay for the demolition and excavation of the site. So the new playground that will be Castlegate will be nice for the minority but, as usual, at the expence of the majority who for a thousand years have traded in the area. Now that is what you call history. W/E.

FRUSTRATED BY CASTLE BATTLES. [The Star letters page 5/4/12]

A frustration with fighting the corner for opening the remalns of Sheffield Castle is that those that disdain and belittle the known remains and the potential archaeology waiting to be unearthed do so with a lack of awareness.

Judd Newton now cites the Star's Monica and John Harrison as champions of the `iconic`market building and presumably `traditional Sheffielders`.

Have any of them seen the castle bastion, even by the abysmal CCTV in the excellent market heritage centre? what do they know of the moat?

Have any of them seen the desk based assessments of the site?

Sadly, this debate could only take place in Sheffield with its inbuilt attitude to change.

This is not about heritage, but about ultimately. giving all Sheffielders something better than the awfulness of Exchange Street.

Ron Clayton, grumpily, S6.

W/E.

You tell 'em Ron!

Its not the fact that the council want to demolish the Castle Market building, the fact is, and I think many Sheffielders will agree with me its where they want to move it to. It needs to stay in that part of town. W/E..

Its not the fact that the council want to demolish the Castle Market building, the fact is, and I think many Sheffielders will agree with me its where they want to move it to. It needs to stay in that part of town. W/E..

I wouldn't necessarily disagree, but the question is where?

I wouldn't necessarily disagree, but the question is where?

As we all know, with our caring council anything is possible, so I nominate Fitzalan Square. Use all the old GPO site for the indoor market by incorporating the exterior of the original post office, then use the Square itself for a outside market. Open up the Hole in the Road, compulsory purchase the buildings on the lower side of the Square for bus change-overs and a new taxi rank, then the new market will be close to taxis, buses and the rail station so everyone should be happy. When you think about all the buildings less than 30 years old that have been pulled down in Sheffield over the years I bet the council cannot wait to get started on this one. Lets have a vote, we could call it Compare the Market site. Simple! W/E.

Open up the Hole in the Road

W/E.

WE for head of town planning ?. - Press your buttons - NOW :)

I think W/E would get my vote for head of town planning for this one suggestion alone. ;-)

CAN SOMEONE SAVE THE CITY'S RUNWAY? So that's it then. I cannot believe that as one of the UKs top 10 largest cities we're the only one without an airport. The recent decision to allow the runway to be lost has scored an irreversible own goal and relegated Sheffield firmly to the bottom division. The crinkly tin sheds which are to cover the site will join the many other crinkly tin sheds which lie empty and which our fair city appears to be breeding. It marks the end of many Sheffielders dreams of becoming a major player in the regional airports league. I once flew into the airport and from an aerial viewpoint I was staggered to see the acres and acres of derelict land in this area, in close proximity to the M1 which are crying out to be developed. Why then develop the one and only strip of land in Sheffield which because of our many hills, is geographically capable of taking an airport? Future generations will curse us for missing this opportunity to put our city on the modern map and bring Sheffield's name to the fore where it belongs. Rolls Royce and Boeing are starting to achieve this by moving in with spitting distance of the site and it beggars belief that such an aerospace coup for the city is marred by such blinkered and Ludite thinking by the powers that be. The infrastructure is already in place and bought and paid for so should be mothballed until someone, somewhere comes to their senses. Isn't there anyone out there in the private sector, or even the municipal sector, who can stop this madness and come up with a scheme to prevent the wanton destruction of this runway and halt the clipping of Sheffield's wings and aspirations? Help, before its too late. [ From Mr Howard Greaves, the letters page of "The Star" 11/4/12]

From "The Star" Retro People. 11th April 2012.

An A - Z of Famous Faces.

G is for Harry Greenwood [1927-1997]

As claims to fame go, Harry's was unusual to say the least. He was neither a scientist or a philanthropist, neither a explorer nor a designer, and not a star of music, movie or metal. Harry Greenwood,who was born in the Parkwood Springs area of Sheffield, was simply a tramp. Yet this wandering man spent almost 20 years living in a cave in Stoney Middleton and became something of a local legend, renowned for playing piano at Baslow's St Anne's church and for his refusal to accept charity. Asked how he kept warm at night, he told friends he would dig a hole, build a fire within, then cover it again, and sleep atop.

Many rumours persisted about Harry - including one that he was a barrister fallen on hard times - but, in fact, his actual story was perhaps more dramatic.

As a youngster he showed an aptitude for electronics before joining the Royal Signals Corps. While serving in Greece he met his future wife, a Greek woman called Helen with whom he had two children. But, after the couple moved back to South Yorkshire, the marriage broke down. Harry, who had been working as an electrical repair man, turned his back on conventional life. Instead, he spent almost two decades walking the country and doing odd jobs for cash, before finally settling, around 1982, in that Stoney Middleton cave.

Every morning he would have a pint of tea and a sandwich at the nearby Lovers Leap Cafe. He died in Chesterfield Royal Hospital after developing gangrene. More than 70 attended his funeral.

From "The Star" Retro People. 11th April 2012.

An A - Z of Famous Faces.

G is for Harry Greenwood [1927-1997]

SH link ..

In the Sheffield Star Friday 13th April.

Hat Ban Pub Barred OAP.

Great-grandmother Hilda Nelson was ordered out of the Park Hotel , Hillsborough for

wearing a woollen knitted hat.

She had lost most of her hair while fighting for her life in hospital last year, she wears

the hat to cover the hair loss.

Her family had taken Hilda out for a meal to celebrate her 89th birthday.

At first her 83 year old partner and her grandson thought they were joking when they

asked her to remove her hat until the manager told them " If you don't like it you can get out."

Her grandson has been going in the pub for over 30 years.

The hat ban is aimed at the football fans but come on, the pub should show a little common sense.

If I was her grandson I would never set foot in the place again.

And they wonder why pubs are losing custom. :angry:

In The Full Monty Tom Jones told them they could keep their hat on. lol

Yes but he didn't mean on their heads lol

In the Sheffield Star Friday 13th April.

Hat Ban Pub Barred OAP.

Great-grandmother Hilda Nelson was ordered out of the Park Hotel , Hillsborough for

wearing a woollen knitted hat.

She had lost most of her hair while fighting for her life in hospital last year, she wears

the hat to cover the hair loss.

Her family had taken Hilda out for a meal to celebrate her 89th birthday.

At first her 83 year old partner and her grandson thought they were joking when they

asked her to remove her hat until the manager told them " If you don't like it you can get out."

Her grandson has been going in the pub for over 30 years.

The hat ban is aimed at the football fans but come on, the pub should show a little common sense.

If I was her grandson I would never set foot in the place again.

And they wonder why pubs are losing custom. :angry:

This story has now appeared in the National newspapers like the Daily Mirror and the Daily Mail today (Saturday), and with a picture of the old lady saying she is not a football hooligan.

I'm sure the pub, also pictured in the paper, are going to regret the poor way in which they treated her.

Twenty Mk X1V Spitfires hidden underground in Burma since the Second World War could soon be flying to the rescue of dozens of workers at an under-threat Yorkshire aircraft factory. David Cameron secured a deal allowing the iconic fighters to be returned to the UK. They are brand new Spitfires and have never been flown before apart from test flights. The BAE factory in Brough, East Yorkshire has a heritage team that recently restored Swordfish and Firefly aircraft. W/E. [Courtesy The Yorkshire Post 16/04/12]

I often read what Jo Davison has to say in the Sheffield Star

but does she have to keep calling her husband " Bloke "?

As in tonights paper,

" Bloke's been compared to Sam Trammell "

Mid-scan, the girl on the checkout froze,

She was staring open mouthed at Bloke, a rhubarb Longley Farm

yoghurt clasped rather too tightly in her left hand.

And it goes on, I've read her articles before on dining out with her " Bloke ".

Please my dear , you are supposed to be a journalist, get a grip. [ Meow ]

It sounds very similar too the other topic on being called a guy.

I wonder what her husband thinks of being called " Bloke " all the time.

Ramblers to mark mass trespass.

The 80th anniversary of a mass trespass celebrated as the key moment in the campaign for access to Britain's uplands is being marked with a series of events this week.

The mass trespass on Kinder Scout, in the Peak District, happened on April 24, 1932, when groups of walkers were confronted by gamekeepers on the 2,000ft high mountain.

The Kinder 80 Festival is a week of nearly 30 walks, talks and other events starting with a special gathering in Edale today.

[The Yorkshire Post 24/04/2012]

W/E.