" What The Papers Say "

Waterside Echo

If he was hung for murder I don't think he will still be living there <_<

No Dave I'm sure he won't but I did say where he lived, not lives.

No Dave I'm sure he won't but I did say where he lived, not lives.

Just that you made it sound like you intended going around there when you found out where he lived.

So I just wondered why.

Ring 345 (Orange) and ask if OWE-IN2 is running on yuor phone, if it is, turn it off it stops the "Orange-T-Mobile" combination working.

Will do - ta

Neil Warnock's remark during Match of the Day, where he said his team played like "fairies", was unacceptable say BBC bosses. A viewer had complained that it was a homophobic stereotype? and should not have been screened. Puts a whole new slant on the "bottom of the garden" theory does'nt it. [ Courtesy The Yorkshire Post.] W/E.

Coroline Thomson, the BBC's chief operating officer, said at a recent conference that the use of expletives was acceptable in the name of comedy and one of its objects was to cause offence and make viewers flinch. This being the case why did the BBC feel the need to apologise profusely for the word "fairies" or "coloured" when referring to footballers? Words we all must have used at times without causing distress to anyone. Courtesy the letters page "Yorkshire Post" W/E.

GREEN WASTE PLAN FOR AIRFIELD SITE. Plans have been submitted to convert the site of a former RAF aerodrome into a green waste treatment centre, but they have been greeted with horror by people who live in the area and opposed by MPs and local councillors. Sheffield-based Green Estate has joined forces with Doncaster firm Silvapower to draw up the blueprints using existing hangers at Norton Aerodrome on the southern edge of Sheffield. It is expected that planning officers will advise members of the board to grant permission for the project. W/E.

GREEN WASTE PLAN FOR AIRFIELD SITE. Plans have been submitted to convert the site of a former RAF aerodrome into a green waste treatment centre, but they have been greeted with horror by people who live in the area and opposed by MPs and local councillors. Sheffield-based Green Estate has joined forces with Doncaster firm Silvapower to draw up the blueprints using existing hangers at Norton Aerodrome on the southern edge of Sheffield. It is expected that planning officers will advise members of the board to grant permission for the project. W/E.

Norton aerodrome is quite close to me, I have to drive past it every day on my way to work.

It is derelict and run down at present but I am not sure what my feelings are about it being turned into a green waste treatment site. At present I am quite neutral to the idea, - until I see what the plans are and what exactly they intend to do there.

Now, when they built the Supertram in the mid 1990's why did they bother to build the Herdings Park spur?

I always thought that the idea was that the Herdings Park spur would be part of a "Park & Ride" scheme which many other big, or busy and conjested Cities like York, Durham and Bath use very effectively.

As Norton Aerodrome is on the main ring road visiting traffic from the south could park up at the aerodrome which was to be turned into a large car park for the park & ride. Then, after crossing the main road to Herdings Park jump on the Supertram and you have cheap transport access to a day out in Sheffield, - easy access to shopping at Meadowhall and the City centre, or even at Hillsborough or Manor Top or Crystal Peaks if you want.

The key to the park and ride was to have been the parking at Norton Aerodrome.

I thought that the Park & Ride idea was a particularly good one

But like many other good ideas, it didn't come to anything and the aerodrome remained disused.

Norton aerodrome is quite close to me, I have to drive past it every day on my way to work.

It is derelict and run down at present but I am not sure what my feelings are about it being turned into a green waste treatment site. At present I am quite neutral to the idea, - until I see what the plans are and what exactly they intend to do there.

Now, when they built the Supertram in the mid 1990's why did they bother to build the Herdings Park spur?

I always thought that the idea was that the Herdings Park spur would be part of a "Park & Ride" scheme which many other big, or busy and conjested Cities like York, Durham and Bath use very effectively.

As Norton Aerodrome is on the main ring road visiting traffic from the south could park up at the aerodrome which was to be turned into a large car park for the park & ride. Then, after crossing the main road to Herdings Park jump on the Supertram and you have cheap transport access to a day out in Sheffield, - easy access to shopping at Meadowhall and the City centre, or even at Hillsborough or Manor Top or Crystal Peaks if you want.

The key to the park and ride was to have been the parking at Norton Aerodrome.

I thought that the Park & Ride idea was a particularly good one.

There had been quite a few objections to the park and ride idea, for what reason it does not say. and now plans for the waste plant have been turned down as well. I wonder what the reaction would be if the RAF wanted to resume radar equipment maintenance again on the site. W/E.

There had been quite a few objections to the park and ride idea, for what reason it does not say. and now plans for the waste plant have been turned down as well. I wonder what the reaction would be if the RAF wanted to resume radar equipment maintenance again on the site. W/E.

As a lad I visited RAF Norton for the Battle of Britain open day during the last year it was open.

One of the officers told me that it was closing down because of the presence of the newly built tower blocks across the road. Some-one had done a elf & safety review and decided that they couldn't test their radars for fear of frying the flat dwellers.

Later on in life I worked for a short time at the Royal Radar Establishment, Malvern and remember the scorched grass in the fields at the back.

HD

Since the Council are abandoning the green waste collection perhaps there's no need for the facility any more?

Some people object to having anything built on their doorstep no matter what it is. I am sure the local residents have benefited from having their own Supertram spur to themselves without the hassle of a Park and Ride car park over the road, but to be fair, without the park and Ride the building and running of the Supertram Herdings spur is just a pointless waste of time and money.

At one bit there was an idea to turn the camp into a prison / young offenders detention centre.

I am sure a Park & Ride would have fewer objections and be preferable to that.

Since the Council are abandoning the green waste collection perhaps there's no need for the facility any more?

They wanted to build a waste incineration plant just 4 miles south at Dunstone in Derbyshire to incinerate Chesterfields rubbish.

Local opposition managed to get that blocked, but the Chesterfield Council still want an incineration plant, which no-one wants next to them, somewhere local to dispose of the waste.

So, in Sheffield we still have to get rid of our waste, we still have to get rid of green waste weather there are green bin collections or not

So how are they to do it.

An incineration plant at Norton Aerodrome?

People having smokey garden fires in their gardens to get rid of their garden waste every other night?

If there is an urgent need for a waste disposal facility then a place will be found somewhere, despite objections, and one will be built.

I thought so called "green waste" was processed on a gigantic scale to produce peat free compost which was sold at a profit.

(which seems to me to be a sensible solution) :blink:

See here

I thought so called "green waste" was processed on a gigantic scale to produce peat free compost which was sold at a profit.

See here

But weren't Green Estate the people who wanted the new facility at Norton?

See here

It is, but the people near Norton Aerodrome don't want that do they/ for whatever reason.

As Chesterfield, not far away, had just rejected an incineration plant I was sort of suggesting that they could possibly consider an incinerator plant as being preferable to the green recycling plant and may accept that proposal instead.

I wouldn't, - I'd take the composting plant.

After all my wife has 2 composting bins in the garden and several more down on her allotment.

INDIA SPELLS OUT THE TRUTH ON MOBILE PHONE RADIATION LEVELS

An official enquiry 12 years ago recommended that the widely varying levels of radiation given off by mobile phones should be displayed when they were sold. Successive governments have failed to implement this recommendation. But now India may be beating us to it.

New guidelines laid down by the country's official Tetecom Engineering Centre suggest that the levels should be shown on each handset. And this week, the Delhi government moved to ensure that they were prominently displayed. Its scarcely a radical suggestion. The British committee was chaired by Sir William Stewart , a former government chief scientist, and contained several of the experts who have been most sceptical about radiation dangers from handsets. Since its report. the evidence that mobile phones can cause cancer after long-term use has strengthened. Last summer the World Health Organisation classified them as a "possible carcinogen" .

The mobile-phone industry has long vigorously fought such an apparently reasonable step - which may be one reason why our pliant governments have neglected to take it - and has already declared its opposition to the Indian plans. When San Francisco proposed a similar measure some years ago, the industry both called in the lawyers and announced that it would stop holding its lucrative annual exhibition, bringing some 68,000 people to the city. What, one wonders, does it have to hide?

W/E.

[ Courtesy The Daily Telegraph 21/01/2012 ]

Sheffield Wednesday bosses yesterday unveiled plans to build a new community hub on the site formerly occupied by engineering firm Presto Tools on Penistone Road. Plans have been submitted to Sheffield Council's planning department for the 5.2 acre site, which include a building that would be the biggest and best of its kind in the country. W/E. Yorkshire Post 2/02/2012

5.2 acres is some belting development. Couldn't they spend the money on making sure they play the last 10 minutes of the game(s) ? lol

Anger as labour blocks plans to revive station for high-speed rail. Proposals to earmark a site for a new high-speed rail station in a Yorkshire city centre have sparked a row amid accusations the idea was being stifled. Liberal Democrats on Sheffield Council last week launched a campaign to revive the city's Victoria Station to serve the Government's High Speed Two [HS2] rail project. But at a meeting of the full council yesterday, the controlling Labour group tabled an amendment to the proposal, ruling no location should be named because the process is at an early stage. Coun Ian Auckland, the Liberal Democrats transport and environment spokesman , said he was mystified as to why Labour had chosen to stifle their idea. Sheffield's Victoria Station, close to the site of the city's Royal Victoria Hotel, closed in 1970 and was demolished. It is thought the Government is considering sites outside Sheffield city centre to allow a new station to serve South Yorkshire's other towns. W/E. [Courtesy "The Yorkshire Post"]

INDIA SPELLS OUT THE TRUTH ON MOBILE PHONE RADIATION LEVELS

An official enquiry 12 years ago recommended that the widely varying levels of radiation given off by mobile phones should be displayed when they were sold. Successive governments have failed to implement this recommendation. But now India may be beating us to it.

New guidelines laid down by the country's official Tetecom Engineering Centre suggest that the levels should be shown on each handset. And this week, the Delhi government moved to ensure that they were prominently displayed. Its scarcely a radical suggestion. The British committee was chaired by Sir William Stewart , a former government chief scientist, and contained several of the experts who have been most sceptical about radiation dangers from handsets. Since its report. the evidence that mobile phones can cause cancer after long-term use has strengthened. Last summer the World Health Organisation classified them as a "possible carcinogen" .

The mobile-phone industry has long vigorously fought such an apparently reasonable step - which may be one reason why our pliant governments have neglected to take it - and has already declared its opposition to the Indian plans. When San Francisco proposed a similar measure some years ago, the industry both called in the lawyers and announced that it would stop holding its lucrative annual exhibition, bringing some 68,000 people to the city. What, one wonders, does it have to hide?

W/E.

[ Courtesy The Daily Telegraph 21/01/2012 ]

Well, I thought 'DaveH' or HD might have stuck their two pennyworth in on this. W/E.

Well, I thought 'DaveH' or HD might have stuck their two pennyworth in on this. W/E.

Because any effect on human health will take years to become apparent, my feeling is that the jury is still out on this one !

As I see it part of the problem is that the phone transmits at regular intervals even if not actually taking a call.

This is to maintain contact with the nearest mast in order to be able to connect any incoming call.

The irony is that the phone only uses the minimum power to allow the call and the nearer you are to a mast the less power it uses.

I would think that you are in more potential danger from radiation from your own phone than radiation from a mast which in relative terms will be much further away.

I think that presently phones use frequencies in the range 900 to 2100 Mhz and maximum power levels (erp) of 1 to 2 watts. Microwave ovens use 2450 Mhz and about 800 watts.

There are moves afoot to use some frequencies, now redundant, at the top end of the UHF TV channels, for the new 4th generation smart mobile kit.

If you can keep your mobile in a bag carried away from the body then I think that is a sensible precaution. Not being a fan of handbags (since the incident with the five burly dockers lol ), I keep mine in a pocket with the back facing outwards, the aerial is normally along the back and the shielding around the electronics will provide a little protection.

You have to make your own mind up but keep in mind that the government make billions from operating licences and the entire industry has a great deal to lose if any negative research appears.

Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice.

I use my phone for emergencies only and I guess it spends less than a couple of minutes a month stuck to my ear.

I do think that allowing children of 10 years or younger to have a phone is perhaps unwise. Many people think that their growing brains are perhaps more susceptable to damage.

On a related topic the government and pension providers seem to be worried that we are (on average) living longer and costing them too much.

I think that nature has a habit of even-ing things out in the long term.

The cunning way in which nature seems to find an answer to every anti-biotic that mankind invents, the possibilty of world epidemics and the unknown long term effects of all sorts of technology plus dwindling natural resources might solve the pension providers problems for them.

Altogether now:----

Always look on the bright side of life-----te-dum----te-dum. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

HD

edit Microwave oven reference added

Because any effect on human health will take years to become apparent, my feeling is that the jury is still out on this one !

HD

Glad you said that HD as that is the considered opinion of all the current research into safety and mobile phones.

The evidence so far is inconclusive and, as you say "the jury is still out"

You have to make your own mind up but keep in mind that the government make billions from operating licences and the entire industry has a great deal to lose if any negative research appears.

Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice.

The above was more or less what my wife's consultant at Weston Park hospital said last week. But he did add "thats what they said about asbestos" W/E.

Glad you said that HD as that is the considered opinion of all the current research into safety and mobile phones.

The evidence so far is inconclusive and, as you say "the jury is still out"

A family member of mine worked as a domestic at the orthopaedic hospital at Rivelin about 30 years ago. At that time they were claiming a high success rate for healing previously non responding to conventional treatment bone breaks by the application of pulsed electromagnetic treatment. As described to me, this entailed embedding windings in the plaster and connecting these to a box of electronics.

I've Googled this and apparently the method of PEMF treatment is in use around the world. Apparently a constant or pulsating field causes bone cell growth at the break. It has even been put forward as a method for treating depression.

As a layman it seems to me that if the human body in some way responds to a magnetic field, then perhaps it might respond in some way to other types of pulsating fields like the electromagnetic field component of a digital radio signal.

Just my personal thoughts based on no science whatever.

HD

A family member of mine worked as a domestic at the orthopaedic hospital at Rivelin about 30 years ago. At that time they were claiming a high success rate for healing previously non responding to conventional treatment bone breaks by the application of pulsed electromagnetic treatment. As described to me, this entailed embedding windings in the plaster and connecting these to a box of electronics.

I've Googled this and apparently the method of PEMF treatment is in use around the world. Apparently a constant or pulsating field causes bone cell growth at the break. It has even been put forward as a method for treating depression.

As a layman it seems to me that if the human body in some way responds to a magnetic field, then perhaps it might respond in some way to other types of pulsating fields like the electromagnetic field component of a digital radio signal.

Just my personal thoughts based on no science whatever.

HD

The body responds to all types of electromagnetic radiation on some way

Gamma rays can penetrate the body and seem to have the ability to both cause and cure cancer

X-rays, also penetrating, have their uses but are well known to be dangerous

Ultra Violet can tan, burn or damage your skin depending on exposure

Visible light is essential to our sense of sight, it can be detected by us directly

Infra Red and Microwave can cause heating effects and can be felt as heat, even causing burning / cooking

So there is no reason to suspect that Radio waves and even lower frequency electromagnetic radiation, even though of lower energy, should not have some sort of effect on us.

The Star letters page 9/3/12. Our caring council has now signed the contracts to build a market on the very edge of the main Sheffield shopping area. This is going to cost us £80 million. The existing Castle Market can now be handed over to Ron Clayton and his happy band of historians who no doubt will wax lyrically at every old shoe or tin button they dig up, even though no thought has been given whatsoever to who is actually going to pay for the demolition and excavation of the site. So the new playground that will be Castlegate will be nice for the minority but, as usual, at the expence of the majority who for a thousand years have traded in the area. Now that is what you call history. W/E.