Express Dairy Milk Floats - Remember These ?

Sheffield History

8 minutes ago, DaveJC said:

This is even more topical today than it was ten years ago, what could be better for door to door light deliveries? Leaving a diesel/petrol vehicle ticking over while the delivery is made is costly, I can envisage an updated version on our streets, however I recall them being so quiet that they were a danger, IMHO they should be heard instead of running you over quietly.

This is a concern which has been expressed with regard to new electric cars, yes. But my recollection of milk floats is that thgey did emit a noise, somewhere between a swish and a quiet vroom.

I use to work for express dairies in mid 70s my first round was Hyde park flats the electric milk float was quite small and narrow & use to go in service lift & then drive along each balcony delivering milk and produce at the far end in to the service lift there and up to next floor (7 in total I think)  you always had kids who would open door on another floor and leave it open then while you went to other floor to close gates and get lift they’d raid the milk and biscuits etc use to get my nephews at weekend as guards but still good times and many nice people lived on there

On 19/04/2021 at 03:43, Athy said:

This is a concern which has been expressed with regard to new electric cars, yes. But my recollection of milk floats is that thgey did emit a noise, somewhere between a swish and a quiet vroom.

I have a 2017 Chevy Electric Car, the Bolt EV, and it has a synthetic noise generator below 14 mph, so it can be heard coming.  Above that speed tire noise dominates and it sounds little different from a good modern petrol car - except on acceleration.

• Like 1

On 07/05/2021 at 13:41, rgmichel said:

Above that speed tire noise dominates 

Yawning?

Another reason they were popular is because they were quiet, especially in the early hours and on the the flats for same reason.

15 hours ago, ajsimp said:

Another reason they were popular is because they were quiet, especially in the early hours and on the the flats for same reason.

The bottles rattling in their crates heralded the milk floats approach.

• Like 1

Do we still have milk delivery rounds? I haven't seen a milk delivery vehicle ( electric or IC) in years... in my neck of the woods...everyone around here seems to buy their milk ,as and when, from a supermarket!

On 07/11/2011 at 09:19, Sheffield History said:

When I were growing up I had a job on the milk, working between 4am and 8am delivering milk to the great folk of Sheffield 5 and Sheffield 6.

I'd work the milk round before school then (after being up from 4am) get off to my school for a days learning

One of the floats I worked on was the Express Dairy milk float which was ace.

Anyone remember these ?

post-1-0-99793400-1320657544_thumb.jpg

I used to work for the Express dairy  at the Greenland road depot; ; I used to deliver on round 9 , mainly the Darnall area .