Minto Road Late Milner Road

Guest alexander

It's very good question, and I've currently no idea - which is a shame since I lived on Dykes Hall Road for a number of years - approximately 1970-1977 (next Road on for those that don't know the area).

Complete quess - Hillsborough developed, there was a Milner Road elsewhere and it got renamed for that reason ... guess only, don't take this as any kind of definitive statement ...

1925 Directory Steve ?? and before/later is possible.

Does anyone know why Minto road in Hillsborough was renamed from Milner road and when?

Minto Road, Hillsborough.

95 Middlewood Road to Leader Road.

Milner Road, Attercliffe.

83 Worksop Road, Attercliffe.

Kelly's 1925.

Minto Road there in 1911 for sure ...

Minto Road, Hillsborough.

95 Middlewood Road to Leader Road.

Milner Road, Attercliffe.

83 Worksop Road, Attercliffe.

Kelly's 1925.

Milner Road, Hillsborough in 1893 - also one at Attercliffe same year. Wonder where Minto came from ?

Next stop 1901 Census ?

Minto Road there in 1911 for sure ...

Minto Road known 1905 ...

Names to follow, 1901 still next step ...

Milner Road, Hillsborough in 1893 - also one at Attercliffe same year. Wonder where Minto came from ?

Next stop 1901 Census ?

Not as unlikely as it may sound, given the relatively close proximity of Garry Road (a woofer-inspired Road name).

Wonder where 'Minto' came from, sounds like a dogs name lol

Minto surname - very heavy bias towards Consett - Annfield Plain - Willington - Eighton Banks - all Durham - just for information.

Minto Road came from Lord Minto Governor-General British India. Lord Minto served in British India as the Governor-General from 1905. He was born in London on 9 July 1845, studied at Cambridge and later served in the Scottish Guards.

Lord Minto also worked as a newspaper correspondent in Spain and Turkey from 1874 to 1877. Later, he went to Canada where he worked as military secretary. From 1898 to 1905, he was the Governor-General of Canada and in November 1905, he was transferred to British India as Viceroy to succeed Lord Curzon who had resigned. Lord Minto was a Tory and an aristocrat. He had no administrative experience.

Just for information

Making absolutely no claims about this link - just for discussion.

Singapore ??

Minto Road, 1901 mentioned here - http://grahamtaylorsfamilytree.org.uk/indiP650401535.html

Worth a 1901 lookup sometime, maybe ...

Milner Road, Hillsborough, named on the 1903 OS map.

It's very good question, and I've currently no idea - which is a shame since I lived on Dykes Hall Road for a number of years - approximately 1970-1977 (next Road on for those that don't know the area).

Here's spooky for you Richard - according to Peter Harvey - Milner Road was named after William Pashley Milner , solicitor who lived at Dykes Hall. Renamed correctly after Earl of Minto in 1903.

A clever bloke, willing to accept that, interesting ...

must have walked that Road more than most (to/from school).

Here's spooky for you Richard - according to Peter Harvey - Milner Road was named after William Pashley Molner , solicitor who lived at Dykes Hall. Renamed correctly after Earl of Minto in 1903.

I'll agree; just something I found, nothing to indicate it's correct.

Could be an error.

Herbert Maddocks, watchman, 62 Milner Road, Hillsborough.

In the 1901 directory.

There are school admissions from Milner Road up to September 1903 (listed at SheffieldIndexers).

I found two property sale notices in the Telegraph from April 1904 with the street described as 'Minto Road (late Milner Road)'