Yates Wine Lodge

Guest sweetdexter

Guest sweetdexter

It was I believe on Norfolk St.

Strange place I went in a few times in the early 60's ,lousy beer

Guest pete_s

I don't think there was a Yates Wine Lodge on Norfolk Street, not that I can remember anyway.

Could you be thinking of Hay's opposite Norfolk Row? They were wine and spirit wholesalers and they had a bar at the front.

This is an adert from a 1955 copy of "The Star"

I don't think there was a Yates Wine Lodge on Norfolk Street, not that I can remember anyway.

Could you be thinking of Hay's opposite Norfolk Row? They were wine and spirit wholesalers and they had a bar at the front.

This is an adert from a 1955 copy of "The Star"

I can confirm indeed that this pub was on Norfolk St. As a young apprentice we converted this shell of a building into the art gallery. There was a huge cast Iron pillar holding up the roof that had been boxed in. When the boxing was removed there was posters advertising champagne on draught at the Hays Wine Lodge. The gallery as since gone, but i can also confirm that in the wine cellar there was and net work of tunnels rumoured to be under Sheffield. I also for a final bit of proof can confirm that at the very top floor of the building overlooking The Crucible, I fixed an original window from somewhere else in the building that was etched with the Hays Wine lodge name. This was back in about 1984 when I first was apprenticed for a company called Bertram and Illingworth from Wadsley Bridge. We also converted a shop around the corner, that was in front of the car park ramp leading to the car park under the egg box shaped town hall ( now also gone) this shop was called The Independent Bookshop. This building was some sort of government testing facility originally.

Crikey - I remember the independant bookshop (is it a coffee shop now ?)

P.s what WAS under the eggbox ?

Was there really a nuclear bunker for the lord mayor ?

As a blokie with no knowledge of the subject before 1925, I'm lost (born 1962, it's not like I'm old ... just "a portly Gentleman from Sheffield")

Crikey - I remember the independant bookshop (is it a coffee shop now ?)

P.s what WAS under the eggbox ?

Was there really a nuclear bunker for the lord mayor ?

I couldn't tell you that bit about a bunker, but nothing would surprise me. Under the eggbox was an underground carpark for all that worked in the town hall. If you remeber the book shop just to the righthand side was a large ramp that went under the road. About the time we were re-furbishing these places along the road was a pub in it's prime 'The Surrey' with 'The Fringe' on top. I am sure if you remeber the book shop you will remeber these? I must admit when I see some of the places on this site memories come flooding back, I am only 40 and thought I had lead a sheltered life, obviousley not as sheltered as I thought.

Certainly remember the Surrey and Fringe and also remember the ramp going under the town hall and as a kid was told that's where the nuclear bunker in Sheffield was !

Guest Sheffield Steve

Certainly remember the Surrey and Fringe and also remember the ramp going under the town hall and as a kid was told that's where the nuclear bunker in Sheffield was !

It was under the Town Hall according to "Threads" lol