One Of Sheffield Histories Finest Remembered - Tsavo

RichardB

Two years since the funeral of Tsavo (Lawrence), one of the original members and a great contributor and friend to this site.

It was Tsavo that welcomed me and Tsavo that was the inspiration behind "A Quite Difficult Question" whereby I asked a series of (hopefully) dreadfully difficult questions aimed at a man living in Portugal with precisely two Sheffield History books. He did a blinding job and took it all in the friendly spirit it was intended.

He told me when he thought my crazy ideas wouldn't work; even said the Pubs list wouldn't work on a message board; I said it was going to be "a World's Best"; when he finished laughing during one of our regular telephone conversations he (and Dobberd) were the first to join in making my preliminary attempt at a list available online; Ukelele Lady continues magnificently to keep that list as good as it can possibly be (I thought 6 months and we're sorted; it was five years ago that I began the project ...).

I miss his humour, dedication and effort. I used to refer to him as "The Boss" which was another great wind-up that he took on the chin, like a man.

The wife and me were due to visit Tsavo and his wife on November 15th, but that was arranged before he fell ill. We attended his funeral, where his Moderator postion was proudly mentioned; his family welcomed us and thanked us for the trip from Newcastle - lovely people.

So, here's remembering Tsavo - the man who opened the door and welcomed everyone to Sheffield History.

A true gentleman and a fine friend.

One he didn't get for newer members to consider :

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who made the chains that held the candle sticks in the Old Town Hall that used to be outside the Parish Church (Cathedral), approximately where Cole's Corner was please ?

Any answer most appreciated.

Nuff respect to anyone that gets this one !!!!

So, here's remembering Tsavo - the man who opened the door and welcomed everyone to Sheffield History.

Here Here. May He Rest in Peace..

Guest carlie167

Here Here. May He Rest in Peace..

Amen to that.

My original comments and feelings about Tsavo which I made at the time of his death are still true today.

Tsavo (Lawrence) was the person who started the thread that drew me in to Sheffield History in the first place (Sheffield Hurricane 1962), and who put a request for information and pictures which inspired me to make my first post (Carlton Cinema thread).

Without Tsavo providing this enthusiasm I would not be here posting on Sheffield History today.

In the postings I have made since in which Tsavo has been involved he was always very helpful, polite and a true gentleman.

Tsavo's inspiration and encouragement on Sheffield History was brilliant.

By October 2008 me and Stuart were both members, I had joined before him, but Stuart was posting on Sheffield History regularly and I wasn't that bothered.

In a chance conversation in a boozer over a pint Stuart said to me,

"Hey, there's a guy on Sheffield History called "Tsavo" and he is looking for a photo and information on the old Carlton picture palace, - you used to live bang opposite it, you must have got a picture and know something about it, why don't you make a post?"

Well, I had got a photo, I did know something about it and I did make that first post.

The first person to reply, inevitably I suppose, was Tsavo.

The rest, as they say, is (Sheffield) History.