1983-84

RichardB

Sheffield Wednesday were originally caled "The Wednesday" when did the change of name become official ? No idea if this is factually correct, but I recall shouting "The Wednesday", read it somewhere ..... long before I was born ....

72,841 - Wednesday's biggest ever crowd, when and against who ?

17th Febuary 1934, Fa cup fifth round versus Manchester City. The game was a 2-2 draw with City winning the replay 2-0

17th Febuary 1934, Fa cup fifth round versus Manchester City. The game was a 2-2 draw with City winning the replay 2-0

Good guess lol lol lol

Guest fredmciverslovechild

Sheffield Wednesday were originally caled "The Wednesday" when did the change of name become official ? No idea if this is factually correct, but I recall shouting "The Wednesday", read it somewhere ..... long before I was born ....

We officially became "Sheffield Wednesday" after the end of the 1928/29 season.....

Guest Noise Heat Power

To distinguish them from all the other clubs called 'Wednesday'... :huh:

My dad was on the Kop for that game.He was in the middle,and he said that the swaying crowd kept taking him right down to the front ,and back up.He had gone to the match straight from the pit,wearing his working clogs,and from the cries of pain around him,he thinks he trod on quite a few people's toes!

Souvenier magazine

What a great season this was and one of the few times in my life where I was able to go to every single game home and away starting in Swansea and finishing in Cardiff with the Owls fans on the pitch in front of the main stand waiting for the result to come through from the Chelsea match to find out weather the Owls would go up as Champions or runners up, the highlight of the season had got to be the 1 - 0 away win at Newcastle an overhead kick from Shelton sorted It in front of possibly the biggest away following the Owls have taken to St James Park and the lowlight has got to be the Owls getting cheated out of 3 points at Leeds United SWFC went 1 - 0 up then Andy Ritchie broke clear almost straight from the kick off and jumped up with his right arm in the air and punched the ball into the net I was so gutted when the ref allowed the goal to stand.

Guest wisewoodowl

We officially became "Sheffield Wednesday" after the end of the 1928/29 season.....

In the book "Images of Sport, Sheffield Wednesday 1867-1967" there's a picture of a menu from the dinner held in commemoration of the 1925-26 Division 2 League Championship win. It says Sheffield Wednesday Football Club.

The next earliest picture is of the Directors report, dated 7th May 1921; that says The Wednesday Football Club.